Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 444 Next >>
Topic: Acting Presidential Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 September 2017 at 4:27pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Regardless your feelings of the current (or past) administration(s), the comments I saw him make were very much true. Goes back to the 'freedom of speech'/'freedom of consequence' concept. Where the government may not be able to restrict your ability to protest, your employer may feel otherwise if you're doing it on their time, wearing their uniform or doing so while under the presumption of representing that company.

------

Sorry, but this is wrong. The NFL has already come out in support of their players to express themselves. Trump and Mnuchin, as members of the government, are not saying that the NFL /can/ fire protesting players, they are saying they /should/ fire protesting players. That's the government trying to dictate to private employers how their employees can express themselves. That's a freedom of speech issue. 

Back to Top profile | search

Michael Sommerville
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 September 2017 at 5:18pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Can or should, the words are irrelevant when it is just an opinion. Even though he is a President, in this matter he has no power. Possibly even less since for some people will flock to an opinion opposite of anything he says.

What place should the Trump loyal Legion be put into? 

I have no horse in this race but I can see how the, we are right you are wrong, left got the Boogie man elected.

Michael Casselman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 September 2017 at 5:47pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

That's the government trying to dictate to private employers how their employees can express themselves. That's a freedom of speech issue.
Key word is 'try'. Which is right up there with 'suggest' or 'recommend' or any other word that you can come up with, but it still doesn't rise to being the same as the government itself coming in and firing you. Which would be a Freedom of Speech issue. Private enterprise is not beholden to such whims or statements by public officials and will (or won't) do to it's own employees as it will see fit within the confines of employment laws, terms of contacts, 'at will' employment statutes, etc..

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 September 2017 at 5:47pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

What place should the Trump loyal Legion be put into?

••••••••

The place? Where others go when they obstruct justice or undermine the laws of this country. If you need examples, you really haven't been paying attention.

-C!

Edited by Charles Valderrama on 24 September 2017 at 5:47pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Michael Sommerville
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 September 2017 at 11:30pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I do pay attention. I see a lot of speculation, hearsay, un-named sources and editorializing. I guess until the facts are laid out, by the actual people doing the  investigation and there is a conviction, he and his loyal followers are in their place. If laws were proven to be broken then there is a different place they may be guests of.

As much as we love to say it, smoke does not always lead to fire. Facts should always trump emotion. The problem with people today is that no one wants to wait for the whole story and just pick parts that fit his or her narrative or views.

All in my unemotional view of course.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2017 at 3:50am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Michael Sommerville: "I do not honestly understand the bitterness and venom towards him." et. al.

Trump is taking actions and, far more, making comments that threaten the standards of the United States. He has assaulted the First Amendment rights of a lot of people; he has taken action against immigrants; he has effectively declared war on North Korea; he has lied, slandered, and (tweet) libeled a LOT of people who not only weren't threats, but are good citizens; he has actively supported neo-Nazis and white supremacists; and, perhaps most damningly, he and his family and campaign staff closely associated with Russian interference in our election.

Add to that that he is a pompous blowhard who seems ignorant of world affairs, national affairs, the desires of most of the citizenry of the United States*, and all the other idiocy, and he is a threat to the United States.

He is not just a mentally challenged buffoon. He is a mentally challenged buffoon with (arguably) the most power in the world.

*It doesn't matter if they voted for him or not. They are citizens of the USA; and he, the president, is still a civil servant and beholden to act in a manner beneficial to ALL citizenry.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2017 at 4:14am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Well, isn't how that works, democracy being a tyranny of the majority? Obama didn't try too hard to address the concerns of the right wingers. 

I think sooner rather than later Trump will do something so stupid that the entire nation will demand his resignation. But right now, the Left are making overblown accusations. He's making life difficult did for undocumented migrants, just as Obama did with his zealous deportations. North Korea is probably due for some rough language, after decades of behaving like nutjobs. I don't know of people saluting the Fifth Reich in the White House, but I could be wrong. And so on. The consequence of crying wolf is that people stop paying attention at the exactly the wrong time. 

Edited by Joe Zhang on 25 September 2017 at 4:15am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2017 at 6:55am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I do not honestly understand the bitterness and venom towards him.

It's because he has influence; and because words matter (they are influential); and because he's divisive. Is that enough for you?

If he were the loner in a bar, spouting his crap, I wouldn't care. I've known similar people (usually in bars) and you leave them alone. But he's the head of state of the US. He has influence. His words matter because of his position. And he's not a good person.

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2017 at 7:28am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

My bitterness stems from seeing a President with mounting circumstantial evidence supporting his alliance/collusion with a foreign enemy power of the US calling into question the patriotism of Americans. Still more bitterness comes from watching him routinely exercise a double standard with regard to judgement of his own actions in comparison to others. A healthy dollop of bitterness also emanates from the people who support him or even marginalize his actions, comments and cronyism as if these things don't exist. He has done a great deal of damage not just to the country and people, but to the office of the Presidency.

Michael Sommerville
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2017 at 8:24am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

He is a man child with a big ego, not the anti-christ. I must have missed where he actively supported neo-Nazis and white supremacists. I did not know that the facts of, he, his family and campaign staff being closely associated with Russian interference in your election, were already proven by those investigating. I think he is great for the first Amendment because more people speak up than ever before and he has not stopped anyone from voicing an opinion. The world dropped the ball on North Korea for the last 20 years, as diplomacy and sanctions have worked so well. Everybody knows there is either a nuclear North Korea or a removed Kim Jong North Korea. Obama let down your dreamer when he let a Presidential order Stand for years instead of working on getting a real law passed. As for immigration reform, I come from an evil country that has a point system for immigration.

I will concede Trump is the worlds worst liar. He could not tell a passable lie to save himself. He has no PC filter and says the most stupid things. He thinks he is funny but is not. He is a buffoon. 

When covfefe and other typo mistakes become national new for days, it is time to look away from the buffoon and start looking at ourselves.

Michael Sommerville
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2017 at 8:50am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Trump did not divide the USA. You divide yourselves with all the labels and intolerance of opposing opinions. It will just get worse with safe spaces where nobody has to hear things they do not like. Constructive debate is almost an impossibility in today's society. Maybe if people started to really listen to each other again they will understand differing views.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2017 at 8:56am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Trump did not divide the USA. You divide yourselves with all the labels and intolerance of opposing opinions.

He has influence. Words have influence. His words have influence. His divisive style of politics and populism is as old as the hills. Not sure why you can't see that.

<< Prev Page of 444 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version