Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 444 Next >>
Topic: Acting Presidential Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2019 at 7:58pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I love the fact that many of Trump's followers consider themselves "devout Christians" but ignore things like Leviticus 19:33-34 which says:

"When a foreigner resides among you in your land, do not mistreat them. The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the Lord your God."

(see also: Deuteronomy 10:17-19, Jeremiah 7:5-8, Ezekiel 47:22-23, and Matthew 25:37-40)

They literally have explicit written instructions in their holy book not to do what they're doing, and yet they still continue to do it. Don't they remember what happened the last time people defied God's will? Prepare for roughly six weeks of wet weather folks.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2019 at 8:41pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Some of you may have already seen this video clip, but I only just saw it today and found it extremely relevant:

Dept. of Defense post-WWII Anti-Fascist/Racism dramatization

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 July 2019 at 8:19am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

TODAY'S THE DAY!

Robert Mueller is testifying as type this, and we are all hoping that matters will be clarified, defined, and brought into the light for any sensible person to understand.

Trump's reaction to this was "No, I'm not going to be watching, probably, maybe I'll see a little bit of it," Trump told reporters on Monday in the Oval Office. "I'm not going to be watching Mueller because you can't take all those bites out of the apple. We had no collusion, no obstruction."

Trump will watch part of it, but he'll have his staff watching with a fine tooth comb*, finding ANYTHING to object to, complain about, and in general oppose. They will then translate that into palatable comments for Trump to report or tweet on. I'm certain of it - as certaina s I am that Trump will both object to Mueller's findings at the same time as accepting them to exonerate him. Yup... he'll say Mueller is wrong and right simultaneously.

*Yeah, I know... but it's Trump. ;)

We'll have to see what develops, but Trump is not a smart man. I'm sure he had his cronies read it, and then tell him what he wanted to hear, i.e., total exoneration. I'm not certain that Trump understands all the laws involved in this, and I don't even know if Bill Barr gets all of it... but Barr is Trump's go-to guy on this.

But this, along with Representative Al Green's** introduction of articles of impeachment, may be a huge challenge to Trump and the boys.***  I have worried for the past week that Tuesday or Tuesday night would see some horrid and drastic action (such as, say, a war with Iran) to distract from this. I still am extremely uncomfortable with the possibilities of Trump's attempt at magic to distract us****

**"Let's NOT get together..."
***I guess that makes KellyAnne Conway one of the boys. Stolen from Scott Pilgrim, thank you very much.
****Doesn't work so well when we can SEE HIM put the rabbits into the hat. But Trump knows as much about magic as he does about presidenting, I figger.

There was no question that the water would get to the bottom of the hill, despite Trump's best wishes to the contrary. I think that today is when we see some of that, and I hope that the resolution isn't destructive... there are a lot of good Americans who deserve, and have desergved better, for a couple years now.
Back to Top profile | search

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 July 2019 at 8:32am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

The audience is a huge factor in this hearing. I wonder how many people will watch or hear about the proceedings and still want to carry the water back to the top of the hill. And seeing that he spoke at the Turning Point USA summit to lots of young people is worrisome. Instilling ignorance and blindly following a supposed leader at a young age is scary to me.

The results of the hearing will be chopped up and fed back to the public through the stupid-o-tron there will be droves of people waiting to lap it up. The lack of skepticism and critical thought in the GOP supporters is the real enemy, but I don't know how you fix stupid.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 July 2019 at 8:39am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Seems like a waste of time and "Robert Mueller testifies before Congress" seems like a misdescription. Seems more like a combination of Democrats in Congress read from Robert Mueller's report and then he answers 'yes' or 'true' plus Republicans in Congress give their own testimony while pretending to ask Robert Mueller questions. 

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 July 2019 at 8:53am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Maybe I spoke too hastily. David Cicilline was quite effective, even though it was still effectively just reading from the report with yes and true answers.

Time constraints are an issue here with so much time wasted for Mueller being directed to certain pages of his lengthy report while under the clock.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 July 2019 at 3:21pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Schiff: “Trump and his campaign welcomed & encouraged Russian interference?”

Mueller: “Yes.”

Schiff: “And then Trump and his campaign lied about it to cover it up?”

Mueller: “Yes.”

This is the type of directness and clarity that should be everybody’s goal, in these hearings.

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 July 2019 at 5:59pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Watched the whole thing very early in the morning here in Australia. It was, unfortunately, a total waste of time. Just another opportunity for Democrats and Republicans alike to read speeches dressed up as questions, and try to cajole the hapless (and seemingly helplessly confused) Bob Mueller into sounding like he supported their particular (and highly biased) interpretation.

The report and Mueller makes it virtually inescapable to conclude that were Trump not the President, he would have been indicted on several counts of obstruction of justice. If that is not the bar for impeachment, given the Clinton impeachment for example, then you have to wonder what is.

But because Mueller is highly protective of his own position, and interprets his mandate as being entirely that of an advisor, rather than a prosecutor, (plus who knows how much background interference, intimidation, etc.), the report and his testimony are not conclusive enough to be useful.

The Republicans (correctly, I believe) pointed out that his office was charged with coming up with a decision/recommendation, not a vague conclusion that Mueller seems to deliberately want to water down even further. Under the American legal system, Trump's either guilty or not guilty. A report that essentially says "he may be guilty, or he may not be guilty, we can't say because a sitting President can't be indicted" is precisely all the Republicans need to proclaim that Trump is innocent - and the report definitely does not say that.

/EDIT: In other news, it appears North Korea has resumed missile testing. Seems a bit of a surprise given the "master negotiator" Trump is best buddies with Kim, why would Kim betray Trump's trust like that? Sad.

Edited by Koroush Ghazi on 24 July 2019 at 6:10pm

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 July 2019 at 8:48am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

My god. 

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 July 2019 at 10:10am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Brian, that projection is funny if it is done in protest, but scary if it is just someone trying to own the libs. Either is plausible and that fact is also frightening.

Someone once questioned "why do you want a leader with morals if they get results". I am paraphrasing, but the hearings yesterday illustrated that if anyone is immoral then they are more easily black mailed. Illegal and immoral activity is hidden by the perpetrator(s) and they typically want to keep it hidden. Sometimes doing whatever is necessary to keep it hidden. I still have trouble understanding that there are large portions of the US population that think they are going down a primrose path toward some idyllic end.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 July 2019 at 11:26am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Someone could have been just been Google Image Searching and not paying attention. That's how you get this:

(Note the middle-right of the poster)

UPDATE: Yep, that's exactly what happened: LINK

Edited by Vinny Valenti on 25 July 2019 at 11:33am

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 July 2019 at 9:21pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

In a matter that needs more attention, Mitch McConnell blocked TWO (bipartisan) election security bills after Mueller warned of election meddling. Seems Mitch knows Trump can’t win in 2020 without some interference, just like 2016.

There's alot of fuss over why Congress doesn't do their job, but hardly ANYONE puts ANY pressure on the Senate when they constantly fail to co-operate with Dems in Congress. I know politics is a dirty business, but this is getting blatantly ridiculous!!

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 444 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version