Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 2
Topic: GAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 04 December 2016 at 9:02am | IP Logged | 1  

"It is the position of The Satanic Temple that religion can, and should, be divorced from superstition. As such, we do not promote a belief in a personal Satan. To embrace the name Satan is to embrace rational inquiry removed from supernaturalism and archaic tradition-based superstitions. The Satanist should actively work to hone critical thinking and exercise reasonable agnosticism in all things. Our beliefs must be malleable to the best current scientific understandings of the material world — never the reverse."

••

"...and we'll just invoke this ancient religious symbol/being along the way."

In a word, bull. In their name they use the words "Satan" and "Temple." These are both heavily mired in religion. If their real wish is to "hone critical thinking" the first thing they need to do if reconsider their name.

Back to Top profile | search

Jeff Patterson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 December 2016 at 3:41pm | IP Logged | 2  

Where can I buy a "personal Satan"?
Back to Top profile | search | www

Trevor Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 December 2016 at 8:44pm | IP Logged | 3  

I think I saw a spot for them at Walmart.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 December 2016 at 10:18pm | IP Logged | 4  

Can "Alexa" be reprogrammed for 'personal Satan' purposes?

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 December 2016 at 9:59am | IP Logged | 5  

Perhaps Depeche Mode can do a follow-up song to Personal Jesus. A mind that finds ease in equating satanic worship with atheism isn't familiar at all with critical thought. I almost want to draw similar comparisons and alliances with any religion worshiping "god", but what a waste of time. I would like to see the look on some faces when you explain Christians = Jews = Muslims = "insert religion", but arguing with an idiot is well documented by the prophet George Carlin.

Brian Skelley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 December 2016 at 11:09am | IP Logged | 6  

It looks like the article was update today. I'm not sure if they heard you but they appear to have removed the "atheistic" stuff and are not referring to them as "agnostic" which, to me is more correct. Of course, I could be missing something, as is prone to happen when I skim the article.

QUOTE:
The Satanic Temple, an agnostic activist organization which says it exists to promote critical and scientific thinking, and which uses the legal system to counter laws influenced by religion, says their members are immune because the rule violates their tenets.

Edited by Brian Skelley on 05 December 2016 at 11:09am

Erin Anna Leach
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 December 2016 at 12:17pm | IP Logged | 7  

WOW! just got lumped in with the Satanist. Clearly the author need to pick up a dictionary and look up the words atheist and agnostic, as neither  being used to describe satanism is accurate. I can hear my super religious cousin now telling me I am transgender because I am a satanist.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 December 2016 at 12:54pm | IP Logged | 8  

Pushing for Satanism to be taught in after school classes is not the definition of secularism either, but this organisation has pursued the former while believing in the latter.

The Satan aspect seems to me to be something chosen that is abhorrent to Christians in order to illustrate how unpalatable it is to have religion creeping into areas such as education and medicine.

It is a counter-intuitive strategy, but it does not seem completely illogical despite its on-the-surface contradictory nature.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 05 December 2016 at 1:34pm | IP Logged | 9  

If one wishes to spread one's ideas, the very FIRST thing one should do is self-identify as a crackpot.

Jeff Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 December 2016 at 5:24pm | IP Logged | 10  

I heard that prior to the big bang, there was anti matter and negative matter.  Should we care that they collided to produce TIME?  Were there crackpots prior to relevant theories?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version