Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: GAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 03 December 2016 at 2:18pm | IP Logged | 1  

LINK to Snopes

Even setting aside the general stupidity of both sides of this, the article manages to put a big steaming cherry on top by referring to Satan worshippers as "atheistic."

ARGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Back to Top profile | search

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 December 2016 at 2:33pm | IP Logged | 2  

Indeed. It's hard enough at times being atheist without that.

A Tea Party activist berated me on social media once - and said something akin to Satan worship and atheism as being interchangeable. It's frustrating.

Rich Marzullo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 December 2016 at 2:43pm | IP Logged | 3  

Being an atheistic Jew is more fun. I've practically been told I'm going to Hell twice over! I've also been told that Jews and atheists both worship Satan, so I guess I worship him twice as much....?

The things that go through people's heads...
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 December 2016 at 2:57pm | IP Logged | 4  

Wow. If you're going to write an article, at least know what the terms mean you are writing about. Geez. 

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 December 2016 at 2:57pm | IP Logged | 5  

I don't think it's as simple as it appears.

While the The Satanic Temple describe themselves as a religious group, this seems to be in order to access religious exemptions in order to then demonstrate the hypocrisy of such exemptions being used by the Christian church.

Their website (which is frustratingly slow to load) states that they do not believe in the supernatural.

It states "we do not promote a belief in a personal Satan" and describes Satanism as a "body of symbolism" and talks of the "metaphorical Satanic construct". 

That said, I'm not sure they could be call atheists either. More rationalist agnostics. 

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 December 2016 at 3:02pm | IP Logged | 6  

I'm actually in an argument on another board regarding the Bible. He states he is a believer that takes the New Testament as literal. So, I respond that he believes that you can't get divorced and being gay is a big no-no. His response is that, while he thinks divorce is wrong, he is, in fact divorced and much happier for it. Also, that Jesus never said anything about homosexuality. Of course, I responded that he takes it as literal until he really doesn't want to, and even if Jesus never explicitly said anything about homosexuality, Paul sure did. And it wasn't good if you're a gay person. 

Waiting on a response. 

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 December 2016 at 3:15pm | IP Logged | 7  

When you get a response, ask him why Marcionites (early Christians) believed OT and NT 'gods' were different beings. ;-)

And then ask him about flood myths that predate the Bible, along with pre-biblical myths concerning virgin births, resurrections, customs, etc.

I find that usually does the trick...

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 December 2016 at 3:20pm | IP Logged | 8  

...the hell?

Jeff Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 December 2016 at 3:27pm | IP Logged | 9  

So Texas is ok with Mothers killing babies but their moral concern is to mandate burial or cremation?    

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 03 December 2016 at 3:35pm | IP Logged | 10  

While the The Satanic Temple describe themselves as a religious group, this seems to be in order to access religious exemptions in order to then demonstrate the hypocrisy of such exemptions being used by the Christian church.

Indeed.  TST are not "Satanists" in the sense of being devil-worshipers; Satan is only used as a symbol of rebellion.  Since they don't seem to believe in any deity, if they aren't atheists they're at least close cousins.

If I didn't think the whole thing was just a giant goof/middle finger to the Religious Right, I could actually find myself tempted to join.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 December 2016 at 11:25pm | IP Logged | 11  

Wow. If you're going to write an article, at least know what the terms
mean you are writing about. Geez.

-----

An atheistic activist organization would be an accurate description of
The Satanic Temple. Most of their activities that I'm aware of focus on
fighting for the separation of church and state by trying to get images of
Baphomet included alongside other government-funded religious
displays and having Satanist afterschool groups included with other
Christianity-related school groups. They're about exposing the
hypocrisy of state-sponsored Christianity, not actual Satan worship.

Joseph Greathouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 December 2016 at 8:17am | IP Logged | 12  

I think there may be some confusion between satanists and The Satanic Temple.  TST is an athiestic organization. 

From their FAQ...

DO YOU WORSHIP SATAN?

It is the position of The Satanic Temple that religion can, and should, be divorced from superstition. As such, we do not promote a belief in a personal Satan. To embrace the name Satan is to embrace rational inquiry removed from supernaturalism and archaic tradition-based superstitions. The Satanist should actively work to hone critical thinking and exercise reasonable agnosticism in all things. Our beliefs must be malleable to the best current scientific understandings of the material world — never the reverse.

IF YOU DO NOT BELIEVE IN THE SUPERNATURAL, HOW IS TST A RELIGION?

The idea that religion belongs to supernaturalists is ignorant, backward, and offensive. The metaphorical Satanic construct is no more arbitrary to us than are the deeply held beliefs that we actively advocate for. Are we supposed to believe that those who pledge submission to an ethereal supernatural deity hold to their values more deeply than we? Are we supposed to concede that only the superstitious are proper recipients of religious exemption and privilege? In fact, Satanism provides us all that a religion should, without a compulsory attachment to untenable items of faith-based belief: It provides a narrative structure by which we contextualize our lives and works. It provides a body of symbolism and religious practice — a sense of identity, culture, community, and shared values.

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version