Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: THE MUMMY w/ Tom Cruise ~ SPOILERS Begin Pg 2 (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2017 at 2:11pm | IP Logged | 1  

All the characters names have been on IMDb for a while now.
Back to Top profile | search

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2017 at 5:51pm | IP Logged | 2  

I kinda wanna see this!

If my son expresses enough interest, I may take him to the theater to see it.  If not, still a definite rental.  Say what you will about Tom Cruise as a person, he's been on a fairly consistent roll of late, in terms of his action-film output, and it may be interesting to see what he does with the horror angle of THE MUMMY.

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 18 May 2017 at 8:40am | IP Logged | 3  

Nothing in the trailers so far give me any indication of whether this might be good or bad, just different.  I hated the last MUMMY series -- too hokey and too jokey -- so I would be receptive to a horror/action franchise that plays it straight.  Whether this will work on that level remains to be seen, but Tom Cruise's track record for action films is pretty solid. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 May 2017 at 8:41am | IP Logged | 4  

Shared universes are, I fear, going to become very commonplace and rather forced and uninteresting.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Technically speaking, based on the latter films, the universal monster movies were the first cinematic shared universe.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 18 May 2017 at 9:03am | IP Logged | 5  

Based on that extended trailer I will watch this -- when it shows up OnDemand. But there is nothing here to lure me into a theater to see it.

Note to Tom Cruise -- time to start "aging gracefully."

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 May 2017 at 9:33am | IP Logged | 6  

A lot going on in that trailer (the Jekyll revelation may be one too many), but I'm still curious.  With MI:6 next year, Christopher McQuarrie will have had a hand in the screenplays of six Tom Cruise movies (five of McQuarrie's last six IMDB credited), most of which I've found interesting save Jack Reacher.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 20 May 2017 at 12:55am | IP Logged | 7  

I enjoyed JACK REACHER for what it was.  Is it an amazing action/adventure film?  No.  But it's a good mystery and Cruise, despite his personal predilections, is a compelling lead.  With the failure of the sequel I don't see a life for the franchise, but I have to admit that I enjoy the original.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 20 May 2017 at 6:32am | IP Logged | 8  

I enjoyed JACK REACHER for what it was. Is it an amazing action/adventure film? No. But it's a good mystery and Cruise, despite his personal predilections, is a compelling lead. With the failure of the sequel I don't see a life for the franchise, but I have to admit that I enjoy the original.

••

Are you aware, Matt, that the titular character in the book is about 6'10" measured along any axis? Cruise casting himself in this part REALLY makes me wonder about how Hollywood mirrors work.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2017 at 8:53am | IP Logged | 9  

Mr. Byrne - Hollywood mirrors are covered with hundred dollar bills. That lets the viewer see what they want, and NOT see what they don't want.

Tom Cruise has an acting ability that is matched by Kevin Costner IMHO. Nobody plays him better than him. You don't get a lot of range, but when you need a Tom Cruise character, he's right there to play it.

And it seems that there is quite a demand for the Tom Cruise character. "The Firm." "Rain Man." "A Few Good Men." The Mission Impossible movies. Hell, even "Tropic Thunder." He's right on the money, and if they adjust the movie a little bit to match the actor... well, he's money.

Meself, I liked "Jack Reacher" just fine, as Matt did, for what it was. But I dunno about other parts for Tom Cruise. But who cares? He's playing the one he does JUST fine.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 20 May 2017 at 11:19am | IP Logged | 10  

Meself, I liked "Jack Reacher" just fine, as Matt did, for what it was.

••

Every time I hear -- or use -- those last four words, I die a little, down deep inside. That is how Hollywood wins. That that is how people like me, who would like to see the book they read or the comic they love translated to the screen intact -- well, that's how those people come to be considered oddballs.

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 20 May 2017 at 1:04pm | IP Logged | 11  

That is how Hollywood wins.

What does Hollywood win?  I pay to see a movie to be entertained; if I am entertained, I got exactly what I paid for. 

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 20 May 2017 at 1:25pm | IP Logged | 12  

What does Hollywood win? The "right" to grind artistic intent under the wheels of commerce.

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 20 May 2017 at 1:34pm | IP Logged | 13  

I think it was Lily Tomlin who said that they don't call it 'show art'.

Hollywood has been making movies for a century and at no point during that time, except for incredibly rare exceptions, has fidelity to source material been a priority.  Nor does it seem that the vast majority of the audience particularly care.  I have many criteria for what I consider a good or entertaining film, and fidelity is no where on that list.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 20 May 2017 at 2:04pm | IP Logged | 14  

And Hollywood wins.

In this case, apparently, because you don't get it.

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 20 May 2017 at 2:06pm | IP Logged | 15  

Hooray for Hollywood.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2017 at 7:36am | IP Logged | 16  

Mr. Byrne, I see your point, and it is entirely accurate; I know of very few properties - maybe none - translated from their original medium into a movie or TV presentation with consistency.

Hollywood (and television also) must make their productions desirable to the public; so they take the original material and fix/adulterate it (depending on your taste for such things) for the viewing public.

I agree with you completely, and would likely say the same... had I known that Jack Reacher was originally a novel (and now I'm minded to go read it. I'm one of those real weirdos who still, y'know, reads books. Yes, yes, stay away, he's abnormal... :)

And that's overemphasized when I see treatments of such properties as Superman, Batman, the Fantastic Four, the X-Men... their name is Legion (and if they ever do a Legion move... :) These make me bitter and angry.

So I will absolutely qualify my statement... "for what it's worth" should be applied to original stories in the movies, not treatments of other media's products.

My ire is getting even greater with productions "based on real stories." Dammit, if I WANT a true story, I'll read the papers or watch the news. (Not that they're entirely accurate... but compared to the movies... SHEESH*!!!)

*Stands for nothing in particular.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2017 at 8:50am | IP Logged | 17  

Looks like I may catch this after all, next month (after the family sees WONDER WOMAN)... my 6-year old son, out of the blue last night, said that he really wants to see this.  In his words:  "It looks like a Marvel movie!"

I'll read up more online about any intense content, but this could end up as his first spooky movie in the theaters.

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2017 at 7:16am | IP Logged | 18  

JB, you're not too far off about Jack Reacher, he's 6'5" in the books.  I always thought, especially after seeing him in HAVEN, that Adam "Edge" Copeland would be perfect for Reacher.  Not only is Copeland the exact same height, but, based on the books' descriptions, he's very close in build and looks.  (Reacher has dark hair, but Copeland would just need to dye his.)

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 22 May 2017 at 9:33am | IP Logged | 19  

John Byrne wrote:
Are you aware, Matt, that the titular character in the book is about 6'10" measured along any axis? Cruise casting himself in this part REALLY makes me wonder about how Hollywood mirrors work.

I was not aware.  Although I knew the movie was based on a series of books, I have never read them.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2017 at 12:50pm | IP Logged | 20  

Universal confirmed that previously-announced stars Johnny Depp and Javier Bardem will star as The Invisible Man and Frankenstein’s monster, respectively, in the shared universe.

Here's a group pic:

Also, the studio just released a Legacy video which ends with the "Dark Universe" opening logo which will debut with The Mummy;

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 22 May 2017 at 6:17pm | IP Logged | 21  

Hopefully being invisible will cut Depp's shtick down by at least half. This is a pretty long-in-the-tooth cast for a potential franchise.  (Not that there's anything wrong with that!)

Mark Waldman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 May 2017 at 11:43am | IP Logged | 22  

I am not a big mummy guy and certainly not a Tom Cruise fan but this looks good. Definitely a lot better than what I imagined.

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 May 2017 at 4:26pm | IP Logged | 23  

I liked the Dark Universe better when it was called 'Penny Dreadful'

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 06 June 2017 at 11:21pm | IP Logged | 24  

No discussion since May 30th, so since it opens in a few days I'm going to preemptively prescribe a...

SPOILER WARNING!!!!!

Feel free to discuss the film without use of inviso-text.  

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2017 at 7:45am | IP Logged | 25  

I liked the Dark Universe better when it was called 'Penny Dreadful'
------------------------------------------------------------ --------------
Or League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (but you knew that was coming yes?)

Which to be fair, I liked the concept of more than the execution. Moore going off the deep end again with his insistence on putting certain topics in his stories

Edited by James Woodcock on 08 June 2017 at 7:46am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version