Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 21 Next >>
Topic: John Byrne’s X-Men or Fantastic Four? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2016 at 7:19am | IP Logged | 1  

Let's forget my post/comment since it is only causing troubles. I apologize to anyone who felt bad for my questionings (or the way I expressed them).

I will only say some things:

- I, too, saw many times JB claiming that he was holding Claremont back based on sales numbers. I also saw a lot of JB comments were he talks about Claremont not in a very good light or making fun of him (at least that's my interpretation). That's why I wondered if there is something between them.

- I like the Claremont/Byrne run more for Byrne than for Claremont. Even more, I don´t like almost anything in the X-Men after Byrne departure. I love Byrne Superman and New Gods and everything Byrne and Galactus related. I have never read any other Claremont works. This is not a case of "Byrne hater" as previously and erroneously mentioned. It was simply curiosity.

- It may sound disrespectful to some people but the level of "JB - ass kissing" in the JB forum is incredible high. One have to be blind not to see this.

- I was completely wrong for thinking the "ass-kissing" was involved in the general preference of the FF run over the X-Men one. I apologize to everyone for this error. After my post, more members selected the X-Men run.

Edited by Ariel Justel on 15 December 2016 at 7:50am
Back to Top profile | search

Darren Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2016 at 7:26am | IP Logged | 2  

I am pretty surprised that there weren't more of this type of thing during your run on FF, John. X-men Cross-overs. (While this technically is'nt an X-men crossover, I think it counts)

(edit-"is'nt" for "is"...sort of fundamental! )

Edited by Darren Taylor on 15 December 2016 at 7:28am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Fred J Chamberlain
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2016 at 7:28am | IP Logged | 3  

Ariel, your latest post may have been best served by
finishing it with your first sentence.

That said, I am concerned that you are showing incredible
bias and have to call you out on it. My favorite Byrne work
ever is his Marvel Team-up run, yet you didn't even list it
as an option. Clearly, you have issues with me, since it
wasn't listed and I wonder if you have hatred for Dave
Hunt. I think that I will ask others here if that is what
is going on in your mind.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Fred J Chamberlain
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2016 at 7:33am | IP Logged | 4  

Darren, that two-parter was magic and one of the issues
that got me rehooked and increased my fervor for comic
collecting.

Ariel Justel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2016 at 7:35am | IP Logged | 5  

Evidently, I have big problems explaining myself or some of you have big problems understanding what I'm trying to say. Maybe both.

Fred J Chamberlain
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2016 at 7:51am | IP Logged | 6  

Possibly. Though I am a therapist and pretty good at
interpretation. Any time that one assumes knowledge of the
inner workings of another's thoughts, the trouble begins.

Certainly, your reuse of "ass kissing" won't endear you to
anyone. You are new here. Relax, get to know people and
consider us strangers, until we are not.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 December 2016 at 7:56am | IP Logged | 7  

I am pretty surprised that there weren't more of this type of thing during your run on FF, John…

••

I was at a New York con a few months before that issue hit the stands. Doing a Q&A I was asked if there was any chance of my doing the X-Men again. I reached into my portfolio and held up the last page of the previous issue.

To say the room went wild would be an understatement. After the panel, Elliot Brown commented that in that moment I could have commanded anyone in the room to go and KILL somebody for me, and they would have done it.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 December 2016 at 7:58am | IP Logged | 8  

…I am a therapist…

••

Non-sequiur: Years ago it occurred to me that "speech therapist" is the most cruel job description of all. It contains almost all the sound combinations that would cause someone to need help form a speech therapist!

Fred J Chamberlain
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2016 at 8:00am | IP Logged | 9  

Fortunately, I am a psychotherapist, so I don't gotta speak
so well.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2016 at 8:07am | IP Logged | 10  

QUOTE:
After the panel, Elliot Brown commented that in that moment I could have commanded anyone in the room to go and KILL somebody for me, and they would have done it.

Reflecting back on those years right after your departure from the X-MEN, JB, it seems to me that something took hold somewhat akin to the fanaticism of Beatles-fans in the 70s, aching for the band to get back together, lamenting that they ever broke up. Part that had to do with The Beatles going out on top. Part of it had to do with the mystique of their success, which many of their ever-increasing fan-base actually missed out on, coming too late, the party being over already. John Lennon, though, always insisted that if The Beatles did ever reunite it would be the most disappointing anticlimax imaginable, their myth have become so overblown it would be impossible to live up to fans' expectations.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 December 2016 at 8:15am | IP Logged | 11  

Reflecting back on those years right after your departure from the X-MEN, JB, it seems to me that something took hold somewhat akin to the fanaticism of Beatles-fans in the 70s, aching for the band to get back together, lamenting that they ever broke up. Part that had to do with The Beatles going out on top. Part of it had to do with the mystique of their success, which many of their ever-increasing fan-base actually missed out on, coming too late, the party being over already. John Lennon, though, always insisted that if The Beatles did ever reunite it would be the most disappointing anticlimax imaginable, their myth have become so overblown it would be impossible to live up to fans' expectations.

••

Years ago, a girlfriend who was also a fan pointed out to me that the origins of the Big Bad Byrne stories lay in my leaving X-MEN. After all, I was just as outspoken -- unfiltered -- back then as I am now, but very few people seemed to mind. Then I left the X-Book and for some it was a personal betrayal. They were so deeply involved in the book my leaving was utterly unacceptable, and for them, it flipped a switch and I went from He Who Can Do No Wrong to He Who Can Do No Right.

Once that started rolling, it became popular to tell stories of Big Bad Byrne. Being true was not a requirement. And it built and built from there. So anything outrageous that I said was no longer accepted with a chuckle, as intended, but with, well, outrage. Introduce the internet, where it is practically a requirement to check one's sense of humor at the door, and off we go.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2016 at 8:27am | IP Logged | 12  

"hey I left the X-Book and for some it was a personal betrayal. They were so deeply involved in the book my leaving was utterly unacceptable, and for them, it flipped a switch and I went from He Who Can Do No Wrong to He Who Can Do No Right."

I've seen you write this before and it still befuddles me how some could take it so personally. Creative teams were often leaving books after different lengths of runs. I was bummed for sure but it seemed like business as usual for the medium.
As for the "Big Bad Byrne " stories, I left comics soon after (for other reasons) so I was blissfully unaware for decades of them.

<< Prev Page of 21 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version