Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 21 Next >>
Topic: John Byrne’s X-Men or Fantastic Four? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2016 at 10:09am | IP Logged | 1  

Ok, this may sound like (or be) a generic question, but...

If you had to choose a favorite among the 2, would it be John Byrne's X-Men or FF run?

X-Men #108, 109, 111-143
FF # 209-218, 220, 221, 232-295 (plus Byrne related annuals & crossovers)

Byrne's run on X-Men was short in comparison to the FF, but just as memorable and iconic.  In comparing the 2 consider that although Byrne did not write the X-Men he co-plotted & was very much as important to the plot and characterization as Chris Claremont was.

The early FF issues were written by Marv Wolman and pencilled by Byrne, #232 and up were pencilled (sometimes inked) & written by Byrne. 

EVERYONE loved the X-Men in the 70's, it revolutionized comics, had a diverse cast of characters, most notably a black female character called Storm.  But diversity alone doesn't make a great comic book.  Dark Phoenix Saga & Days of Future Past were well written stories that still hold up today & incorporated into the live action films. 

FF, the issues written by Byrne reinvigorated them for the 80's.  #236 "Terror in a Tiny Town" is one of the best single issue I have ever read!  Byrne's portrayal of Dr. Doom was better than even Stan Lee & Jack Kirby's.  The storyline with Galactus and Frankie Ray becoming his new herald was one of my favorites.  Also, the Psycho-Man & Malice story stands out as brilliant! 

As far as She-Hulk goes, loved her as the 4th member who replaced the Thing.  My only gripe is that she stayed too long.  I always thought is was a good idea to upset the dynamics of the team every now & then, but the FF is all 4 of the original members & keeping them apart for too long doesn't work for me.

Now, FF #209-214 has always been one of my favorite storylines.  The cover of FF #214 still brings a tear to my eye, it is so powerfully drawn and so tragic!  Written by Marv Wolfman & pencilled by John Byrne & inked by the ever amazing Joe Sinnott, this classic tale was treasured by me as a kid, read those issues over and over.  As good as the story was, it was the Byrne art that stood out for me, a lesser artist would not have kept be interested.

I have to pick Fantastic Four as the best John Byrne comic run over the X-Men.  It is not an easy choice because these are probably the 2 most iconic comic books that John Byrne has been associated with, at least in the "classic" sense. 

Edited by Jeff Scott on 11 December 2016 at 10:14am
Back to Top profile | search

Jean-Francois Joutel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2016 at 10:30am | IP Logged | 2  

I agree, I prefer JB's Fantastic Four. 

What I feel is the Fantastic Four's edge is the risks JB took. Killing off Doom; removing the Thing; bringing in She-Hulk; evolving Sue's powers and character; destroying the Baxter Building. All of these were high risks that had a tremendous pay-offs.

While progressing the title, JB stayed true to the original concept. They were explorers and adventurers more than regular super-heroes.

JB was able to convince me that the FF truly was the world's greatest comic magazine.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Rich Marzullo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2016 at 10:42am | IP Logged | 3  

FF, for sure. Combination of JB's evolved artwork and storytelling, as well as I just like the characters more. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Blair Herd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2016 at 10:47am | IP Logged | 4  

X-men introduced me to comics and JB's art which will forever have a place in my heart.
Fantastic Four seemed to have so much emotion in the writing, pacing and panel work.  JB's art took a leap forward as well and I was totally enamoured.
If push came to shove, FF.   
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jeff Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2016 at 10:52am | IP Logged | 5  

Anyone remember those comics sales figures that were always posted?

I used to get mad whenever I seen these and FF was at #2, below X-Men, always being at #1!  I never understood this at the time because after Byrne left the X-Men, it was nowhere near as good!  I never understood why FF was not #1 on the sales figures list! :(

I think it was because the X-Men comic was still riding high from the Byrne run for many years, despite the lack of quality afterwards.

Edited by Jeff Scott on 11 December 2016 at 10:57am

Leigh DJ Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2016 at 11:03am | IP Logged | 6  

Easily FF for me. Unfiltered JB.

Edited by Leigh DJ Hunt on 11 December 2016 at 11:03am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 December 2016 at 11:11am | IP Logged | 7  

Anyone remember those comics sales figures that were always posted?

I used to get mad whenever I seen these and FF was at #2, below X-Men, always being at #1!

••

Your memory is kind. I don't think my run on FF was ever second to X-MEN. The Spider books and AVENGERS were usually above FANTASTIC FOUR.

+++++++

I think it was because the X-Men comic was still riding high from the Byrne run for many years, despite the lack of quality afterwards.

••

Or, as I have said many times, I was holding Chris back, and once I was gone the book took off.

Leigh DJ Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2016 at 11:23am | IP Logged | 8  

CC does get a lot of love. He seems to have many many fans. For me, I found his work unbearable in later years but it can't be denied that he has a big fan base that worships most of his X-Men run.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2016 at 11:33am | IP Logged | 9  

In my opinion, those X-MEN years must not ignore the significant contribution of Terry Austin. What was eventually famous as the iconic look of that era was in huge part due to Mr. Austin. 

When I read JB's work on the FF, what struck me immediately was: (A) JB was clearly making a tremendous -- and to my view tremendously successful -- attempt to hearken back as much as possible to the Lee-Kirby glory years; and (B) for the first time, I thought, I was now at last seeing fully unfettered JOHN BYRNE, truly his work.

For those reasons, I would go for the FF over the X-MEN.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2016 at 11:48am | IP Logged | 10  

X-Men for me. Those merry mutants were pretty much my gateway into comics. Other than JB's run (and later, Uncle Walt's) I've never followed the FF's monthly exploits. I did get the Essential volumes collecting Stan and Jack's time on the books, but I was never vested in those characters like I was the X-Men. 

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2016 at 12:01pm | IP Logged | 11  

I'm not sure the two are comparable.In a weirdy issue of Excalibur, Alan Davis once drew Chris Claremont and John Byrne (albeit not named, but you KNEW who they were) working on their books side by side. Although not exactly accurate, there's a point to be made. Both series were exciting, excellent, and had a lot of ground breaking material.

If I picked one I wanted to re-read, it would be the one I hadn't re-read most recently. Right now, that's FF... so if I were pressed, I guess that would be my choice.

Jeff Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2016 at 12:14pm | IP Logged | 12  

JB: You are kind to Claremont, But I don't buy into this, think that after you were gone a creative factor was missing that was never recaptured.  I often wonder if your creative input that you instilled into FF had remained on the X-Men...what grandeur would have happened?  Your plots were nothing to be laughed at, you made X-Men great at the time! :)

Edited by Jeff Scott on 11 December 2016 at 12:18pm

Page of 21 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version