Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Sports Talk
Byrne Robotics > Sports Talk << Prev Page of 3
Topic: DIVISIONAL round starts Saturday, January 14th - MAKE YOUR PICKS! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 January 2017 at 12:15pm | IP Logged | 1  

Brian it isn't a crime to support your team. Matt is just being a sourpuss because his team hasn't won anything.  I can understand what he is saying tho about not complaining because your team has won multiple times. That's why as a Giants fan I don't bitch and moan too much even tho I get upset when the Giants lose. I think Heck at least they aren't the Bills. :)

So as a Cowboy fan unless it hasn't happened in your lifetime. Don't bitch and moan too loudly. 

Also the Cowboys haven't been America's team for decades. 
Back to Top profile | search

Steven McCauley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 January 2017 at 12:24pm | IP Logged | 2  

Anthony, I think the TV Ratings counter your statement that the Cowboys aren't America's Team:

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 January 2017 at 12:34pm | IP Logged | 3  

Brian, I think of a lot of what is perceived by you as hatred for Dallas is just as much jealousy and I think Reed is being pretty open about that in his premise so I wouldn't take it so personally.   I get that you want to win after a 20 year drought and you have every right to want to win, but it's hard to feel much sympathy for your plight with 5 titles already in the bag.   And just because so many people hate Dallas doesn't mean that there isn't a grudging respect for them.  I hate Dallas because I'm tired of them and all the "America's Team" nonsense but I certainly think they're formidable right now.

It's similar with the Patriots.  Almost everyone on this board is sick to death of New England and I hear about it every week and I absolutely get it so I tend not to respond to it.  Some people have decided Belichek is a massive cheater (they've certainly been caught cheating) and want to entirely discredit their success but it just kind of goes with the territory.  If I wasn't from Boston I'd probably find NE's massive media oversaturation obnoxious.

Dallas isn't going to win this year but they have an exciting young team and a talented new QB and they should be good for years to come.  They'll be back and trust me, if they win, you have even more hatred to look forward to!

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 January 2017 at 1:19pm | IP Logged | 4  

Brian, I think of a lot of what is perceived by you as hatred for Dallas is just as much jealousy and I think Reed is being pretty open about that in his premise so I wouldn't take it so personally.   I get that you want to win after a 20 year drought and you have every right to want to win, but it's hard to feel much sympathy for your plight with 5 titles already in the bag.   And just because so many people hate Dallas doesn't mean that there isn't a grudging respect for them.  I hate Dallas because I'm tired of them and all the "America's Team" nonsense but I certainly think they're formidable right now.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
I hated the Cowboys when Troy was the QB because they were so good back than. I had the good luck to get into football at the end of the Giants Superbowl run that ended with them defeating Buffalo. After that there was a long drought of good football for me. Eventually Troy left and the Cowboys began to suck and the Giants improved. I no longer hated the Cowboys because of the team. I was able to respect the players. My dislike for the Cowboys became about the fans of the team. A good many of them(Not All) talk so much crap that it makes you hate them. It is one thing if the team was winning. But they hadn't been winning in a long time. Yet the fans talk like they're still in the 90's. Cowboy fans want to bash Eli Manning who has two Superbowl wins in his time. While the Cowboys haven't had two playoff wins during that time. 

So it's that kind of fan that needs to be smacked down. If you're aren't being a jerk fan than i've no problem. We can rib each other good- naturedly  than go on.

As far as the dislike for the Patriots go. I suppose it's because of them losing to my team twice in the Superbowl or because of Bill Belichick being a part of the Giants and Parcells coaching tree I don't hate on them. I don't like some of the cheating they have done. Some of it Idon't see as cheating. If the head coach is exploiting the rules that isn't cheating. The whole deflatgate I think was a bunch of nonsense. Brady still kicked butt.  The video stuff i'll concede.  

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 January 2017 at 1:21pm | IP Logged | 5  

Rick and Anthony, I get what you're saying. I even get what Matt's saying, but his anger is severely misdirected. It does not help at all that I've been piled on at just about every place I've gone to since the game ended, no matter what I say, just because I'm a Cowboys fan. i don't aim my hatred at fans of other teams (and believe me, I've got plenty of reason to rip Alabama Crimson Tide fans' heads off around here), so i don't take it from fans of other teams who aim it at me.

Regarding the "America's Team" thing, I never have liked it. It is arrogance and bullshit. I remember when that nickname was attached to the Atlanta Braves for a time back in the 90's, and I couldn't stand the Braves. I'm a Reds fan in an area that's designated a Braves fan region. (I also support the Cubs, Red Sox and whoever is playing the Yankees. But the Reds over the others.)

As for the Cowboys, I will say that I myself hate Jerry Jones. He's got a penchant for signing thugs (I was vehemently against Greg Hardy being signed) and nutcases (Dez Bryant). He was reportedly going to draft Johnny Manziel, but was stopped from doing so by his own son, the team's president. And he hogs the spotlight. I remember when Moose Johnston retired, and you'd have thought the press conference was about Jones, not him.

The only NFL owners I hate more are Jim Irsay (general douchebag and immature) and Dan Snyder (greedy bastard who was considering charging fans just to watch his team practice...when the Redskins were hot garbage).

The NFL fans I feel really sorry for are fans of the Browns and Lions. I expect Hell to freeze over before the Browns even reach the Super Bowl, at this point. I'll be surprised if the Lions don't at least make a deep playoff run the next few years. And I meant it when I said I was pulling for the Lions in the playoffs. 

Edited by Brian Floyd on 17 January 2017 at 1:48pm

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 January 2017 at 2:42pm | IP Logged | 6  

Here's the thing.  Sally Field/Meg Ryan/Sandra Bullock didn't go around calling themselves "America's Sweetheart".  The Dallas Cowboys are the ones who called themselves "America's Team".  And that's part of the reason they are so reviled.

Plus they all have syphilis.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 January 2017 at 5:42pm | IP Logged | 7  

Actually, not really true.  Bob Ryan of NFL Films is credited with coining the monstrous "America's Team" appellation whilst editing a compilation film of the 1978 Cowboys season.  After pondering how to sum up their then-popularity on the road and "always on tv everywhere" omnipresence, he vamped the term, which was then picked up by a CBS announcer in a 1979 game and snowballed from there for some inane reason.  Landry was reportedly initially unhappy with the term thinking it would give opponents extra motivation though he later came to embrace it.  But even if the acceptance of the name was ultimately tacitly approved by the Cowboys organization, that was the Assholes in Charge.  Though I didn't like a lot of Cowboys of that era, the players themselves had nothing to do with it.

Great point about the syphilis, though!

Edited by Rick Senger on 17 January 2017 at 11:00pm

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 January 2017 at 6:32pm | IP Logged | 8  

I'm sorry the Steelers have syphilis, Kevin. Maybe you should start a GoFundMe or Kickstarter to get them all treated.

And what Rick posted about the whole "America's Team" thing is correct. It was NFL Films, not the Cowboys organization, who named them that. 

I believe it was Sports Illustrated who used the nickname in regards to the Atlanta Braves. And the reason they gave it to the Braves had absolutely nothing to do with popularity; it was because Braves games reached a large amount of the country due to TBS being on cable in a lot of states.

Edited by Brian Floyd on 17 January 2017 at 9:04pm

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2017 at 3:55pm | IP Logged | 9  

It was NFL Films, not the Cowboys organization, who named them that.

--

Probably under pressure from a bunch of syphilitic Cowboys players...

:)

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 20 January 2017 at 2:13am | IP Logged | 10  

Brian Floyd wrote:
I even get what Matt's saying, but his anger is severely misdirected.

I'm not angry, Brian, and I certainly would never presume to tell you what teams to root or not root for.  You have your favorites for your own reasons and that's what makes sports great.  What also makes sports great are the rivalries.  We (the Vikings) play the Cowboys an awful lot.  I've got relatives in Texas and I know the team well.  I've never liked them.  But that's OK!  I've got people who I've been friends with for over 40 years who are die-hard Packer fans AND THEY WERE BORN AND RAISED IN MINNESOTA!!!  Drives me crazy, we get in heated debates about it, but at the end of the day I have my team and they have theirs.  Good for both.  

Simply put, what I took offense with was not that you are a Cowboy fan but the WAY you put your disappointment.  That you wanted "just one Superbowl".  I felt that was a tad tone-deaf to the majority of the fans of teams in the league who haven't won a single one. That stank of being an elite.  "Oh, poor me.  I haven't won a Superbowl in 20 years. Whatever am I to do?!?"  Am I jealous, as Rick said?  You're damn right I am!  But KNOW YOUR AUDIENCE.  Most of the league hasn't experienced a single day at the end of January (old fan) or the first week in February (newer fan) where their team won it all.  So I'm sorry if it sounds mean, but I'm hard pressed to feel any sympathy for you or Cowboys fans in general when you're one trophy away from tying the record.  That one turn of phrase "I just want one Dallas Super Bowl win" when you've won FIVE already really set me off.  

That's where I'm coming from.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2017 at 1:57pm | IP Logged | 11  

Got it. 

In a perfect world, every team would have at least one Super Bowl win. I really felt sorry for the Bills, who lost 4 in a row, and 2 of them were to Dallas. Their loss to the Giants was seriously bad luck. I was for the Bills against the Giants and Redskins.

I'm not sure why the Vikings lost all the Super Bowls they were in. Because I was five the last time they played in one, so obviously I didn't see those games. The Cardinals lost to the Steelers due to bad officiating in their one appearance. The Falcons got outplayed in theirs. The Titans had bad luck.

The Lions I truly believe should get there in the next five years. They've had to suffer bad decisions by their owners (Matt Millen was quite possibly the worst GM in NFL history) and bad breaks. 

The Browns, though, probably won't get there any time soon. I believe they've had a combination of owners who care about making money more than winning, as well as incompetence at the owner and GM levels. That problem persists. Some college teams could probably beat the Browns.....and I don't mean just teams in the top 5.

Apologies if I've forgotten any one appearance only teams that lost. And yes, I didn't mention the Eagles or Bengals. But the Bengals had the misfortune to be up against the 49ers in both Super Bowl appearances, and I don't remember enough about the Eagles' loss in 1980.

The one team I'm surprised never made it to a Super Bowl? The Houston Oilers when Warren Moon was their QB.

*edited to add* The Raiders have officially filed papers to move to Vegas. I propose a name change to Las Vegas Buffet Raiders, with a bib added to their logo. :p

Edited by Brian Floyd on 20 January 2017 at 2:32pm

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2017 at 2:47pm | IP Logged | 12  

I was an Oilers fan from the mid seventies (they were my non home AFC team) . It was the Pastorini, Campbell years that should have yielded a SB appearance. Damn Steelers!!

As for teams with playoff wins period, although the Bills and Vikings don't have a SB win compared to the Lions they're miles ahead.

I've been following the Lions (and football) since 1973 and in my lifetime they have ONE win. 1992 ,that's 19 years after I started following and has been 24 years since. Even the Browns have quadrupled that amount in that time!

So no pity from me..........sorry for the rant.

Edit to change year

Edited by Doug Centers on 20 January 2017 at 2:52pm

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2017 at 3:51pm | IP Logged | 13  

I've got a couple of friends who are Lions fans, and neither was even alive when the team won the championship in 1957 (pre-merge and pre-Super Bowl).

I know the Cardinals' drought is longer, but that team has moved twice since their last win. And at least they made it to a Super Bowl (and then they got robbed).

The Houston Oilers were my favorite AC team, and that certainly didn't change when they became the Tennessee Titans. It just sucks how bad they've become, but they seem to be slowly getting better. New uniforms are coming in 2018, and I believe one of the changes may be the sword T logo replacing the flaming bowling ball one on the helmet. A poll showed the sword logo was more popular.

Edited by Brian Floyd on 20 January 2017 at 3:56pm

Joe Boster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2017 at 4:27pm | IP Logged | 14  

Let's not forget that the Superbowl is pretty new. and there were championships before that. Remember all the parity there was supposed to be in the free agency/salary cap era? What Happend to that. 

As an aside I'm pretty sure that no one lifted higher for one superbowl win than the Saints and their fans. Which they got from ending Kurt Warner's Career. 

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2017 at 5:29pm | IP Logged | 15  

Parity exists in neither football or baseball.

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2017 at 6:23pm | IP Logged | 16  

Parity in football is difficult.  There's 32 teams.  There's maybe 20 championship-caliber coaches.  Maybe ten elite quarterbacks?  There's a lot of cats to herd there to make 32 roughly-equal teams.

Joe Boster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2017 at 6:33pm | IP Logged | 17  

13 different world series winners in 16 years

11 for the SuperBowl. 

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2017 at 6:34pm | IP Logged | 18  

I really felt sorry for the Bills, who lost 4 in a row, and 2 of them were to Dallas

--

The Bills' streak is the worst because it was consecutive.  Not the kind of record you want to be known for (and it makes you consider that aphorism "Nothing Succeeds Like Success" - what if Scott Norwood's kick had been good?  Would the Bills have won four in a row?  It's fun to wonder.)

The Cardinals lost to the Steelers due to bad officiating in their one appearance.

--

Uh, no; that was the Seahawks.  And, uh, no; that's just not the case, both times.

The Browns, though, probably won't get there any time soon. I believe they've had a combination of owners who care about making money more than winning, as well as incompetence at the owner and GM levels.

---

Absolutely.  And as an AFC North fan, it breaks my heart.  I'd really like to see Coach Cowher go there, but he'd probably would never do that, especially without the Rooneys' blessings.

... the Bengals had the misfortune to be up against the 49ers in both Super Bowl appearances...

---

And they played well!  Just not well enough to beat the 49ers, which was more or less true for 31 other teams in those days.  Those were two of the best Super Bowls, even without the "John Candy" story.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version