Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: Marvelís THE DEFENDERS Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2017 at 12:45pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

The original thread is locked, but with the show coming out in the summer, perhaps this will stick around.

Meet The Defenders in EW's exclusive first look

The Defenders first look: Meet Sigourney Weaver's villain ó and learn her name

http://ew.com/tv/2017/01/12/defenders-first-look-sigourney-w eaver/

http://ew.com/tv/2017/01/12/the-defenders-first-look-ew-cove r/
Back to Top profile | search | email

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2017 at 8:12pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Looking forward to the series. So far, I've enjoyed all the Netflix Marvel shows to varying degrees.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2017 at 8:46pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Me too. 
Back to Top profile | search

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2017 at 8:02am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Loved DAREDEVIL (both seasons).  Really liked most of LUKE CAGE (final episode ruined the season, IMO).  Finally caught JESSICA JONES and loathed it.  

I'm hoping IRON FIST is more like DAREDEVIL and less like the other 2.

With that said, having Jessica Jones on the team doesn't instill me with confidence that this will be good.

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 13 January 2017 at 8:17am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Loved JESSICA JONES; really enjoyed both seasons of DAREDEVIL, even though the ninjas were kind of tedious; liked the first half of LUKE CAGE but thought the second half was a boring mess.

Looking forward to IRON FIST and then THE DEFENDERS.
Back to Top profile | search | www | email

Joseph Greathouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2017 at 8:38am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I haven't watched Luke Cage yet, but I have loved all the other Netflix shows.  I am looking forward to Iron Fist and the Defenders. Jessica Jones was a favorite of mine and my wife's.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2017 at 12:32pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

DAREDEVIL was the best of the bunch to me... tho' I did enjoy LUKE CAGE (great soundtrack!) and JESSICA JONES had its moments.

Still, my confidence is shaky for this series. Maybe once IRON FIST comes out in April I'll have different feelings.

-C!

Mark Waldman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2017 at 1:39pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Love what Netflix is doing with the Marvel universe. More real than the films, which normally I wouldn't say is a good thing, but works in their unique universe. Generally I appreciate the humor and fun aspect Marvel movies have to offer. Anyway, all aboard. I just wish they could bring these shows out faster. Of course the time allows for quality control. 

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2017 at 2:52pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I liked Daredevil Season 1 and Jessica Jones. The rest has been too decompressed for my patience. These shows would be better served by tightening the "A" plots while dedicating a few more self-contained episodes to world building and done-in-one superheroics. I was recovering from surgery when I watched Luke Cage so maybe I should try again without the medication. Although I've already watched some episodes twice and life is pretty short.

Iron Fist is not intriguing me.
Back to Top profile | search | www | email

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2017 at 1:36am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

If they called it the Howling Commandos or The Micronauts it'd be about as accurate as far as being true to the title..

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2017 at 4:12pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Luke Cage and Daredevil were non-members of the non-team back in the 70's. Iron Fist has been involved with them, too, decades ago.

Not the core group one would think of, to be sure. And though the MCU is fairly cohesive, there's not much cross pollination between the movies and TV series. Since Dr. Strange has his own film and the Hulk is tied up with Thor (as is the Valkyrie now) and the Avengers, and you can't use the Silver Surfer at all....best you could do is introduce Namor within the Defenders series to have any of the originals in there.

And Patsy Walker is already around...in the "Defenders" universe...

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 February 2017 at 1:11pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

If Hellcat was in the show, in costume it might count as an actual Defender but...there's not even a Nigthawk to hire Luke Cage.

Ed Love
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 February 2017 at 10:47am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Not like there was only one Valkyrie in the myths. Considering how much the cinematic versions differ from the comics, and she's gone through different changes in the comics as well, there's probably room for 2 different takes. Kyle Richmond was name-checked in Daredevil, so a Nighthawk wouldn't be too hard to do either. But, you've already got Daredevil and Iron Fist as your street level fighters so he'd be a bit redundant unless they do the long story of starting him out as a shallow businessman who gains some powers and becomes a bad guy, and reforms when he discovers just how evil the people are that he is working with.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 February 2017 at 11:43am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

If they called it the Howling Commandos or The Micronauts it'd be about as accurate as far as being true to the title..
---------------------------------------------
I just assumed that it was called that because Matt Murdock is going to be doing criminal defense and Jessica Jones is going to be his P.I.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 February 2017 at 2:29pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Next up, the Fantastic Four starring Rocket Raccoon, The Fin, Valerie the Librarian from Spidey Super Stories, and Petey the Little Pest.  No doubt soon to be followed by the Champions starring Capt. Savage and his Leatherneck Raiders followed by a Capt. Savage and his Leatherneck Raiders series starring She-Hulk, Medusa, Crystal, Hellcat, Squirrel Girl, and Hedy Wolfe.

Hey, maybe they can get the rights to Josie and the Pussycats and give us Not Josie and Absolutely No Pussycats! 

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 February 2017 at 5:09pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

So, I guess you're really stoked to see this, Brian?

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 February 2017 at 5:38pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

I actually don't follow the Netflix Marvel series much, Brian. I watched Jessica Jones and that's been about it so far. There was a fork in the road somewhere long ago where super-hero TV and I parted company. I think it may have been Smallville that ended the romance and killed any chance of my believing super-heroes on TV would ever be entertaining again. I look in on shows now and again and each time is like a punch in the face.

Having watched Jessica Jones, however, I was looking forward to seeing a costumed Hellcat in the Defenders. I'd heard there was a Valkyrie from the latest Thor movie who could have been on it. I was looking forward to the series. The Defenders comic was a genuine favorite of mine back in the day. Getting "none of the above" as the answer as to which members of the team were going to be on the series doesn't exactly inspire me to dive in.*

Cheese and crackers, it's all just so disappointing... 

* And yes, I know Luke Cage and Daredevil were on hand in the title for a storyline or two, but even for a "non-team" they were more guest-stars, rather than members. And even if we push it and admit Luke on points, that's still only one Defender on television's  "The Defenders."

Edited by Brian Hague on 13 February 2017 at 5:47pm

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 February 2017 at 7:24pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Hey, maybe they can get the rights to Josie and the Pussycats and give us Not Josie and Absolutely No Pussycats!

Sounds like how I imagine the GOTHAM pitch went: let's do a Batman show without the most important part of a Batman show: Batman.

At least THE DEFENDERS will have superheroes in it.

Edited by Brian Rhodes on 13 February 2017 at 7:24pm

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 February 2017 at 9:23pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

I'm in the same boat as Brian Hague... for me, the Defenders are the Hulk, Sub-Mariner and Dr. Strange.  Or Hulk, Nighthawk, Valkyrie and Hellcat.  With possibly the Son of Satan and the Gargoyle thrown in, for good measure.

For an old-school fan like myself, this new TV roster is all kinds of wrong!

Edited by Shaun Barry on 13 February 2017 at 9:24pm

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2017 at 5:52am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

ACKNOWLEDGMENT: This is not Dr. Strange, Namor, the Hulk, Nighthawk, Valkyrie, etc. Then again... neither was the end of The Defenders comic.

There have been four "seasons" of Netflix Marvel heroes so far, with a fifth one coming in "Iron Fist." I have been pleased with each iteration... good stories, interesting characters, and plenty of enjoyment for me (and the wife.)

From what I'VE seen so far, I am perfectly content to give "The Defenders" a shot. Would I enjoy it more under a different name? Possibly, but what? And really, the title is the least part of the show. If they keep up the quality of the Netflix Marvel series... I'll be pleased.

Jamie Grey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2017 at 8:39am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Me too Eric...loved each one for different reasons.  Really looking forward to Iron Fist and then Defenders.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 February 2017 at 1:08am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Marvel doesn't have the rights to Silver Surfer,  20th Century Fox does. With the Hulk they actually share the rights with Universal. And Dr. Strange having his own movie franchise it doesn't make much sense to have him on a TV show. That leaves Namor from the original Defenders and I believe they had sold the rights to Namor at one point as well, though I might be mistaken or they might have the rights back now (unless he was included in the FF deal with Fox). So having the original Defenders in the TV show was pretty much out of the question. I do wonder why they don't add characters like Nighthawk and Valkyrie to the mix since they were Defenders more often than the originals were to make it more of a legitimate Defenders show. The comic did have a wildly varying line-up over the years considering its non-team status, but when I think of the Defenders I think of Valkyrie and Nighthawk more than any other Marvel characters. 

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 February 2017 at 1:57am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Valkyrie is appearing in "Thor: Ragnarok," so she's tied up there. Namor, I believe, is still somehow licensed to Universal.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 February 2017 at 2:04am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Basically, it's a "Heroes For Hire" or "Marvel Knights" show, but "Defenders" sounds better.  I always loved Powerman and Iron Fist together, and they worked well with Daredevil (I remember Frank Miller brought them over for a visit) and now, of course, Jessica Jones is Luke's wife in the comics.  The four go well together (along with Rosario Dawson's Claire Temple).

If the line-up bothers you, ask yourself--If the ever-changing roster of the comic book Defenders over time became these four, would you buy that comic?  I would.  (I'd rather have Spider-Woman than her clone Jones though, but still--!)

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 February 2017 at 3:18am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

The line up doesn't really bother me. I think it's a good idea using the same strategy that they did with Avengers, the solo stories leading into the big team story. But even with Avengers they added characters that didn't have their own movies (Black Widow, Hawkeye, Vision, Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver), so the addition of say, Nighthawk, as he's apparently the only one available that was a stalwart Defender would be pretty cool. Hellcat would be another good one as was mentioned earlier in this thread since Patsy Walker was already introduced in an earlier Netflix series (I believe it was Jessica Jones). Son of Satan would be another good one, though I'm not sure how well he would go over with middle America. 

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version