Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Wars
Byrne Robotics > Star Wars << Prev Page of 6
Topic: Star Wars Ep. VIII: The Last Jedi Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 April 2017 at 11:27am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I think Rogue One is a genuinely bad film. Wonderful production design, but it takes forever to tell a story that doesn't need to be told AT ALL, and does it in a really uninvolving, boring manner. It's just so flat. There is nothing to Jyn Erso or Cassian Andor or any of the others.

The prequels may have been as dumb as a plank of wood at times, and a big letdown for the most part, but they did have the occasional spark in them. The Emperor was able to be gloriously evil. Compare that with Crennic's dull floundering. Even Annakin's whiny dick-headeness was preferable to Jyn Erso's nothingness.

To totally steal the words of the New Yorker magazine, Rogue One's script has 'all the emotional impact of a checklist or a call sheet.'
Back to Top profile | search

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 April 2017 at 11:33am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I dare anybody to try and figure out the timelines and character aging and what not of those X-Men movies. What a hot mess!

As for SW I was 12 when it first showed, and I agree with JB, it just had not been seen before. The impact would last for a couple of years with my trading cards and figures.Then ESB started to be promoted and I tossed aside the first movie in anticipation. The newness would be gone forever from then on.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2017 at 8:16am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Not filling me with confidence, here.

Back to Top profile | search | email

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 22 April 2017 at 9:53am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

SO glad I don't care any more!!!!!!!!!

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2017 at 9:59am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

QUOTE:
“I think you’ll find some things that’ll surprise you,” he said.
“They certainly surprised me. I said to Rian, I think I fundamentally
disagree with everything you’ve decided for me. Now having said that, I
have to accept it, get my mind around it and do my best to realize your
vision. Once I got into it, a lot of my fears went away.”

http://www.fandango.com/movie-news/mark-hamill-hints-that-
this-may-be-the-end-of-luke-skywalkers-journey-752159

A lot of fan and news sites are trying to portray Hamill as disgruntled,
but given the praise he offers Rian Johnson in other interviews, I don't
think that's the case at all.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2017 at 9:07pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Hmm.  I have a bad feeling they're gonna do a weird little flip by EPISODE IX, where you think it's going to be an epic showdown between Luke and Kylo Ren... but Luke somehow has turned to the Dark Side, and Kylo Ren is the one looking for redemption, and ends-up being the hero by the finale?

Hmm.

Edited by Shaun Barry on 22 April 2017 at 9:11pm

Monte Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2017 at 5:30pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Don't know about Luke turning to the Dark Side(even though that is a possibility, as with Rey as well) but yeah, Kylo is going to turn good at some point in the trilogy.  There's been way to many hints in The Force Awakens, alone.  

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2017 at 6:27pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

God, I hope not. There is NO coming back from killing Han Solo. 

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2017 at 10:03pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Well, given the body count Vader racked up over 18 years before his redemption, wouldn't be surprised if Kylo gets turned back to the light in Episode 9...

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2017 at 9:31pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I want to see one of three things happen to Kylo Ren:

1. Fights Ren (and possibly Luke at the same time) and gets a lightsaber enema or `haircut'.

2. Gets his arm ripped off by Chewbacca, who beats him to death with it.

3. Fights Snoak to the death and either loses or they both die. 

No option where he turns good AND survives the trilogy is acceptable to me. At least Anakin turning to the dark side made sense, with him being manipulated by Palpatine. Ben Solo turned to the dark side due to hero worship of Vader and because he was rebelling against his parents. In other words....Kylo Ren is an idiot.

Edited by Brian Floyd on 24 April 2017 at 9:32pm
Back to Top profile | search | email

Monte Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 April 2017 at 1:07am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Brian Floyd wrote:

At least Anakin turning to the dark side made sense, with him being manipulated by Palpatine. Ben Solo turned to the dark side due to hero worship of Vader and because he was rebelling against his parents. In other words....Kylo Ren is an idiot. 

Yeah... bro, Ben was manipulated by Snoke since infancy.  Truth be told when he was in Leia's womb Snoke was preying upon him.  Anakin was a whole hail of a lot older before Palpatine worked him over.   It's a lot easier to twist a kid up from infancy, their entire life than when they're in their adolescence. 

And we still don't know why Ben turned.  We've seen this before with characters; they start off bad, seemingly unredeemable and then the audience finds out something about their backstory; have a moment that makes you do a 180; or is just so cool he turns good because the fans want it to happen.  It's been done before with characters like Damon Salvatore, Mr Darcy, and The Green Ranger.  

Besides Ben is the last Skywalker.  If he doesn't live then there will be no one left to carry on the family bloodline.  Not to mention he's Han freaking Solo's son! On top of Darth Vader's grandson! He is the direct descendant of the two coolest characters in Star Wars.  As soon as he was born he had street cred.  There's no way Disney is killing off the Skywalker and Solo clan.  Just from a business standpoint they're not going to let that happen.

And a buddy of mine noted "Moreover, there's a subversion going on already which is that he's not becoming more like Vader but more like Anakin. The worst he could possibly do has been done in TFA. So that's when he was the closest to Vader - masked and believing that committing the unthinkable (patricide or youngling slaying) was going to end his pain/being torn apart/etc. But it didn't. The difference between him and Vader is that Anakin at the end of ROTS had no one left to believe in him. Obi Wan and Yoda were done with him, padme died, he didn't know about kids. He had nothing but Palpatine. OTOH, Kylo still has his mother, and Luke may think that Kylo should be killed but blood isn't water, and Rey doesn't want to kill him so there are 3 people, including our heroine, that could break Snoke's spell. Not to mention that putting him on the same island with Rey and Luke, far from Snoke's influence, will add up to something rather than "more evil".

Finally, LST spelled it out. "You cannot deny the truth that is your family." More evil would be still denying it and there's no story in that."

Edited by Monte Brown on 25 April 2017 at 8:51am

Paul Kimball
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 May 2017 at 11:11am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I'm excited about a new movie. Hoping the plot will be a little deeper this
time around.

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2017 at 10:11pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Fun fan parody of what might happen: