Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Wars
Byrne Robotics > Star Wars << Prev Page of 10
Topic: Star Wars Ep. VIII: The Last Jedi Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 October 2017 at 9:22am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Since belief in the Force seemed largely considered an ancient and hokey religion*, it would be like getting one of use trying to get insurance against a witch's curse. 

*That is, until the second half of the film, where it seems everyone is a believer, with virtually everyone on the Rebel side saying, "May the Force Be With You." It may be akin to "Good Luck" or Break a Leg" in some cases, I guess, rather than actual belief...

Edited by Brian Rhodes on 14 October 2017 at 9:26am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 October 2017 at 11:52am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Spot-on.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 October 2017 at 8:47pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Ha.  That Red Letter Media clip is some kind of sick, twisted genius.

Less about THE LAST JEDI, and more about this "trailer reaction" nonsense we keep seeing all over YouTube.

Good stuff!

Back to Top profile | search

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 October 2017 at 12:15pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Very funny stuff, Greg.

Monte Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2017 at 2:13pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Charles Valderrama wrote:
"My only question is.... which limb will Rey lose in this movie? C'mon, we all know someone always loses a body part in the second act.

-C!"

Only Skywalkers get their limbs cut off in the second act.  Rey is not one so she is safe its, Kylo who has to worry about losing an appendage.

Edited by Monte Brown on 17 October 2017 at 2:14pm

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2017 at 3:27pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Only Skywalkers get their limbs cut off in the second act.  Rey is not one...

To quote from a second act, "So certain, are you?"

Edited by Brian Rhodes on 17 October 2017 at 3:36pm

Monte Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 October 2017 at 3:44pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Yes very certain.  I don't know who she is but I already know who she is not...a Skywalker or Solo.

Though if the rumours of her being a Palpatine is true it would be the bees knees.

Jim Muir
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 October 2017 at 4:02pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

<<Only Skywalkers get their limbs cut off in the second act. Rey is not
one so she is safe...>>

From my own sketchy knowledge of Star Wars history (and Greg is far
better placed to answer) but I'm pretty sure Lucas' original vision was 9
episodes chronicling the Skywalker lineage.

Now admittedly Disney threw away Lucas' treatments for 7-9, but the
broad strokes still appear to be the same.

Suggests Rey is a Skywalker to me!

Monte Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 October 2017 at 7:51pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Lucas has said Disney has discarded almost all his ideas to the point he wonders why they even asked for his input.  Almost nothing from his story is being used.

And Kylo Ren is the Skywalker of this trilogy.  I get the impression her parentage lies on the dark side the total opposite of Ben's.   Their relationship will be the driving force of this story and The Force Awakens has set them up as opposite parallels:  Rey means king in Spanish whereas Ren means queen in a different one (sorry forgot which language); Ben Solo is descendant from royalty, his mom is a princess and gram was a queen whereas Rey is a lowly scavenger; throughout the film he is always dressed in black and Rey is always in white but other than that their clothes are identical symbolising ying & yang.  

But they also have similarities they share; both are lonely and feel they have no one.   Both have been abandoned by their parents; both have rage issues that they give in too far to easily at times;  and in the interrogation scene they both explored each other's mind and know each other better than anyone has ever known them.

Bearing that in mind look at the first time they appear in TFA, which both mirror and contradict each other at the same time and give clues to their background; Kylo comes out of a ship brightly lit, fully masked, and steps into a world of darkness.  Foretelling how he came from the light and voluntarily entered the dark.  Rey starts off in a ship encased in darkness, fully masked and steps into a world of light signaling she came from a dark background but has goodness inside of her.  Her introduction is just like Kylo's entrance but in reverse.

Seriously doubt the writers are going to put that much effort and detail for two "cousins" who have never met before.  Not to mention if her being Luke's daughter is a big secret then they dropped the ball.  Everyone and their grandma already figured it which is not what the creative team wants.  

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 October 2017 at 9:34pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I'm tellin' ya... with Mr. J.J. "Mystery Box" now handling EPISODE IX, don't be surprised if the twist is that Rey becomes the villain, and Kylo Ren the redemptive hero, by film's end.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 October 2017 at 9:41pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

From my own sketchy knowledge of Star Wars history (and Greg is far 
better placed to answer) but I'm pretty sure Lucas' original vision was 9 
episodes chronicling the Skywalker lineage.
++++++

Pretty much. When Lucas hit on Father Vader, that's when the basic concept for the prequel trilogy clicked into place. EMPIRE set out intending the "other" to be Luke's twin sister, who was being trained as a Jedi in another part of the galaxy. This sister character would theoretically have become a main character (or THE main character) in the sequel trilogy, but Lucas ended up wrapping everything the story very quickly in JEDI, and merging the sister character with Leia, just as Vader was merged with Father Skywalker.

When Lucas came back to do the prequels, he deliberately structured them to echo the original trilogy, so that the stories of father and son would stand in contrast to each other. What he may or may not have done with the sequel trilogy is anyone's guess, but, in my heart of hearts, I feel that Disney is taking the quick and easy route by copying the story structure of the original trilogy, and using the precedent set by the prequel trilogy as a convenient excuse for doing so.

That all being said, if Rey turns out to be a nobody, and unrelated to the Skywalkers, then that excuse is even flimsier. If she does turn out to be a Skywalker, then the universe shrinks even more. Lose-lose scenario, if you ask me.

On an unrelated note, I saw BLADE RUNNER 2049, today, and it was everything I wish the DisneyWARS films would be. A logical extrapolation of the original. Full of subtle references to the original, but not hitting us over the head with them. A new and compelling story, with characters who stand on their own. I wasn't just checking my watch until Harrison Ford showed up, and Ford's performance felt like an honest evolution of Rick Deckard's character, rather than hammy, old man Han Solo going back to his smuggling ways before being skewered by his own son as part of a contractual agreement with the actor. 

I've recently found myself in the difficult position of being very critical of the modern iterations of properties that I love--STAR WARS and STAR TREK being at the top of the list. For once--FOR ONCE--I found myself pleased and satisfied with a decades-later follow-up to a film that I love. BR 2049 gets everything right that I feel the DisneyWARS films get wrong. It's brave, smart, and stands on its own merits. It's intimately connected to the original, but not overly dependent on it, nor does it merely slap a new coat of paint on all of the old ideas and visuals. It's a legitimate evolution of that world and those characters. It's not a lazy cash-grab.

The irony of the LAST JEDI teaser trailer playing before BR 2049 was not lost on me.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 October 2017 at 9:55pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I watched the trailer again last night, and was struck by how much it seemed like a blatant mash-up of EMPIRE STRIKES BACK and REVENGE OF THE SITH.

And because it's supposed to take place immediately after the end of Epsiode VII, yes, it somehow manages to even look like a re-hash of THE FORCE AWAKENS, and less like a sequel!

Expectations:  Low, low and low.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 October 2017 at 10:09pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

I have a lot of faith in Rian Johnson as a director. At the very least, the visuals in this film look marvelous.

However, I do not have faith in the corporate suits at Disney and Lucasfilm. It has been made abundantly clear over the past few years that auteur filmmakers and genuine creativity are not what they're looking for. They want company men who can produce marketable sausages using their factory and their vision. Guys like Abrams. Style without substance. Pretty wrapping paper around an empty Mystery Box.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 October 2017 at 10:34pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

And, just because I can't help but get myself into trouble, lately...I was in a store, recently, and saw (along with the LAST JEDI 3 3/4" action figures already being on a "Buy 1, get 1 50% off sale", and electronic lightsaber toys targeted specifically at young girls) the latest issue of STAR WARS INSIDER Magazine, # 176. The solicited cover is what's on Wookipedia...

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_Insider_176?file=In sider177.jpeg

...but the published cover that's on newsstands has changed the featured story from "The Journey Begins Again" to "Women of The Galaxy" (a retitled version of the "Women of War" story on the early cover). I'm sure that this is not the first female-centric "celebrating the women of STAR WARS" STAR WARS INSIDER cover I've seen on the newsstands, over the past few months. The revised cover gives a stronger impression of the issue being a celebration of the female characters of STAR WARS, because STAR WARS is now pretty much a female-driven franchise, not a male- or even an ensemble-driven one. It's now The Rey Show, along with the characters who support her.

While it's true that Poe Dameron was not originally supposed to survive TFA's first act, there's just not any kind of Luke-Han-Leia dynamic in these films, as of yet. Just one female lead, and then a supporting cast of characters who look bad so as to make her look good, admire her many talents, and/or covet her power for their own use. 

I have little doubt that TLJ will continue this.

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 19 October 2017 at 6:39pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 10
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version