Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Dr. Who
Byrne Robotics > Dr. Who << Prev Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: Capaldi’s Final Series Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2017 at 12:40am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

It reminded me of a Star Trek episode. I could easily imagine Kirk and a landing party beaming down to that planet and trying to work out what had happened to the colonists.Putting one of those emotion reading badges on Spock might have proved interesting.

Anyway, I liked that. The Doctor and companion landing on a planet and solving a problem. If they had just lost the heavy-handed pushing of this year's story arc at the beginning of the episode (yawn!) it would have been perfect.
Back to Top profile | search | email

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2017 at 1:00am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

"One side of the Pond pronounces it as spelled, the othere as "agen", with a hard G. But I can't remember which, and have failed to find a helpful nmemonic."

If they say a-gain their queen doth reign
If they say a-gen they're Ameri-kin?

Robbie Moubert
Byrne Robotics Member
Evertonian

Posted: 24 April 2017 at 4:15am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I say "agen".
Back to Top profile | search | www

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2017 at 4:44am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I think most of the U.K. says `Agen`

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2017 at 5:43am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Looks like the only people that think us Brits say aGAIN, are non-Brits.

In reality, we have changed how we speak and of course there are massive variations in local diction. A Scouse and a Cockney speak so different. One thing I have noticed is how so much is now being influenced by American diction. Either being one that comes to mind. I say Eye-ther (how Threepio says it in Star Wars) but I notice that most people now say EE-ther which I have always associated as the American pronunciation. I could be wrong though.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2017 at 6:45am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

One thing that sticks in my mind is a VH1 drama/doc
about Sheffield band Def Leppard using what i assume
were American actors,the accents were the cliche of what
Americans think we sound like,comically bad!

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 24 April 2017 at 7:56am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

One thing that sticks in my mind is a VH1 drama/doc about Sheffield band Def Leppard using what i assume were American actors,the accents were the cliche of what Americans think we sound like,comically bad!

••

For some reason, Brits seem able to do American accents much more convincingly than Americans can do British.

(When I was in my teens, I began to notice no one could do a Canadian accent -- and that was before I even realized there WAS a Canadian accent. What I was seeing was a habit of American performers to affect British accents when playing Canadians, and British performers affecting American accents.

(What I found amusing, tho, was foreign actors trying to deal with the more curious Canadian place names. Yellowknife, for instance, which is pronounced without emphasis, became YellowKNIFE. Medicine HAT became MEDICINE Hat. MOOSE Jaw became Moose JAW. And so on.)

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 24 April 2017 at 8:01am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

On a side note, I was very impressed, decades ago, by a moment in an otherwise forgettable Peter Sellers movie, AFTER THE FOX. Sellers plays a con-man known as The Fox, and in the story he is pretending to be an American film producer. (He and the rest of the case are mostly supposed to be Italian.) Everybody speaks English, with various degrees of Italian accents (real and fake), but in one scene they go into a restaurant and Sellers speaks "English" to the manage. Only he doesn't. He makes a series of noises which, I realized, probably captured exactly what English sounds like to someone who doesn't speak the language. The equivalent of going zuh zuh zuh zurrr and pretending it sounds like French.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2017 at 11:34am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Now that I think 'Again'....I have heard Canadians who announce hockey who will say, for example 'the penalty is AGAINst...'(Barry Melrose of ESPN, originally from Saskatchewan, is the most prominent example; he will oftem jokingly refer to 'CalGARY', as well).

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2017 at 12:46pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Has the OK/Okay infection taken solid root in the UK yet? 

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2017 at 4:19pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

We are so off on a tangent with this discussion, but it's really good.

What is the OK/okay? I assume it must have taken route (pronounced root in the UK) as that's how we say it - O-Kay

Now, while I say agen, I don't say agenst, I say AGAINst. Hmm, scratch that, I've just been testing this out by speaking sentences and it turns out I actually use both versions depending on the sentence. How weird.

Diction is weird for me now as my Yorkshire accent has softened an awful lot since moving away. It kicks right back in when I visit my parents but I do listen to my dad and Marvel that I used to sound like that. It's also funny listening to my son's accent. Before school, he didn't have a Black Country accent at all,  it now he is developing a pretty strong one. This amused his aunt and uncle no end when they saw him at Christmas as he clearly did not have this when they last saw him. It's at it's strongest when he is emphasising a point.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2017 at 7:52pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Watching the episode, I've noticed the sign on the front door of the police box/TARDIS now reads "Officer and cars respond to all calls", where it always used to say 'urgent' calls. Why change something like that?

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2017 at 8:42pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

I enjoyed the episode and its return to form as a more pure-Who than the much-entwined previous seasons. I like Bill. I was glad to see the Doctor more at ease and not having to work so very hard at being Alien and Unlikeable. 

Spoilers:

INVISO TEXT (Click or highlight to reveal):
I commented however to my friends that it really is a good thing the show moves at such a clip that the audience doesn't have time to question the logic of what we're being shown. None of the set-up crew think to hide in the original ship. Okay, they were all killed in a single morning and didn't have time to think of it. One robot goes into the ship after the Doctor and Bill. Not many. No "Vardies" follow him in. The Vardies are the actual assassination devices. What is the robot going to do in there except call for the Vardies? The Doctor tries to keep Bill safe by having her stand in front of the map and read off the directions to him, but it turns out he's already memorized the map. She takes a picture of it and heads off after him. Neither of them, not the brilliant, multi-dimensional Time Lord or the bright human who's been staring at the map for a long time realize a huge section of the ship is dedicated to the cryogenic suspension of the last humans alive and there are lots of them. That... would be on the map, right? The ending is especially cute given the name of the ship, but... If you can turn something off and turn it back on again, you can also just turn it off. Yes, yes, they're sentient, but they're also murderers and erasing their memories doesn't guarantee that they're not going to just come up with the same answers at computer-speed and start in again. Also, the Vardies remember how to be buildings, so their memories aren't completely wiped, are they? And if the friendly emoji-bots are capable of killing large numbers of people because their mood-ring badges go unhappy, what are they going to do when the "rent" is late? These colonists, the last of humanity... are dead, dead, dead, deader than dead. Why not give the colonists some say in whether or not their robots, the murderers of their families, get turned back on again? Clearly turning them off didn't make the buildings fall down as perhaps it should have done. Do we need happy, living, little murderbots everywhere? Maybe we could try it without the murderbots for awhile? Doc? Where are you going, Doc? Doc...?

Whatever. It's a fun show nonetheless. 

Here's what I thought was especially clever about it. The ship is called the Erewhon. Erewhon is a 19th century social satire disguised as Utopian fantasy. One of the lessons it tries to teach is that machines are dangerous in part because allowed to grow unchecked, they will do so along Darwinian lines, and eventually decide they don't need us. Kinda like the happy little murderbots the Doctor decided to leave in charge of the last surviving humans who are now sadly all dead. The show was on when? Saturday? This is Monday, so yeah... all dead now.

Edited by Brian Hague on 24 April 2017 at 8:48pm

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2017 at 10:53pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

That... would be on the map, right?

-----

It was very specifically called out as not being on the map. Bill was
trying to understand why there was a big empty space on the map.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2017 at 11:03pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Also, the Vardies remember how to be buildings, so their memories
aren't completely wiped, are they?

-----

The Doctor states that they've retained the functionality they've learned,
but he erased the command structure that caused them to eliminate the
settlers' unhappiness.

Keep in mind that the humans are the survivors of a war that
devastated the Earth, whose first instinct was to eliminate the Vardy, so
I'm not sure why you'd expect the Doctor to kill off a nascent species
who were only confused about their programming over a race that also
had the capacity for murder.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 April 2017 at 12:17am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

*Throwing up emoji*
That's two episodes in a row in which most of the 'story' is just the Doctor and Bill wandering corridors, and 'running' from...well, whatever.
The first two episodes have taken a rather disappointing 'slashed budget' approach to guest casting, and it's wearing thin.

Andrew Saxon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 April 2017 at 12:23am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Watching the episode, I've noticed the sign on the front door of the police box/TARDIS now reads "Officer and cars respond to all calls", where it always used to say 'urgent' calls. Why change something like that?

As with going back to the white window frames and the St John logo it's an attempt to make the TARDIS prop look more accurate. To my mind though, these days, the Police Box prop looks very fake. The exterior (outer plasmic shell!) is far too clean and pristine. I remember in the old Target novels the TARDIS was often described as a battered old box ... and that's what is wrong with the modern prop - it needs to look battered.

Andrew Saxon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 April 2017 at 12:27am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

We can only hope that, after this, Earth colonists will have the good sense to replace Vardies with Mechanoids. You can't go wrong with Mechanoids (or, at a pinch, Monoids - they are just as good).

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 April 2017 at 6:37pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Good points, Andrew. Another point: I'm not sure if the TARDIS needs to have the 'interior' side of the police box doors.

Andrew Saxon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2017 at 12:45am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Another point: I'm not sure if the TARDIS needs to have the 'interior' side of the police box doors.

I believe it's a nod of the head to Peter Cushing movies, but I miss the huge double doors that used to swing slowly open and closed. And don't get me started on the loss of the roundels (I know they have 'sort of' returned, if you squint at the screen, but I do miss them honeycombing the walls). Actually, I think the current Capaldi TARDIS interior is the best it's been since the series returned but it's still not quite there for me.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2017 at 4:19am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Any speculation on the vault?

Tim Cousar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2017 at 7:25am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

The Master's TARDIS?

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2017 at 7:34am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

I thought that too Tim!

Josh Goldberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2017 at 10:15am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Canadian actors on American TV shows give themselves away when they say they are working on a "pro-ject". 
As an American, I would say "prah-ject".

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2017 at 5:42pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Hopefully the vault will contain the Doctor's knowledge of Venusian Akido, but I'm not counting on it.

Seriously, though, the Master's TARDIS is the first thing I thought of, too. 

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version