Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek
Topic: "Court Martial" (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2017 at 10:29am | IP Logged | 1  

I've spent much of last year, and now this, watching ST:TOS episodes on the 50th anniversary of their original broadcast (it's a quirk! Indulge me!).

There's been a lot of episodes that I'd only partially remembered, or seemed, somehow, to have missed entirely - "Shore Leave", for one. Today's viewing was "Court Martial", which I've not seen for many a year, and I was surprised at how good it was. The casting seems to be impressively diverse, given the time the episode was broadcast, and Joan Marshall's Lt Areel Shaw - intelligent, compassionate, forceful, and professional - would have been a fine addition to the crew (I also felt this about Marianna Hill's Lt Helen Noel). Spock's use of logic to solve the mystery of the computer records not tallying with Kirk's recollection was another fine moment.

Does anyone else have a soft spot for this episode?
Back to Top profile | search

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2017 at 10:57am | IP Logged | 2  

I watched it not so long ago.
Jame reminds me of Patty Duke, and she was actually on her show as a school friend.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 02 February 2017 at 11:07am | IP Logged | 3  

A solid first season episode. It breaks from the established format -- no one boldly goes anywhere -- but gives us glimpses of life off the ship. Credulity is stretched considerably by the idea that someone could "rewrite" the ship's log in such incredible detail, but when I was 16 I accepted that as "futuristic".

Kirk's lawyer is a fun character.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2017 at 2:09pm | IP Logged | 4  

There's a certain something tragic and effective in Finney being played by television's Captain Midnight.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 02 February 2017 at 2:18pm | IP Logged | 5  

Or Jet Jackson, as I knew him!

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2017 at 11:09pm | IP Logged | 6  

I like this episode quite a bit, although I think it does go a bit off the rails, at the end. That said, Kirk's speech on the stand, where he justifies his choice to jettison the ion pod when he did, is one of my favorite Kirk speeches. And it's pretty much the antithesis of Abrams' version of Kirk.

Jason Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2017 at 9:57pm | IP Logged | 7  

Loved this episode as a kid, and though it's been a little while since I've seen it, I believe it still holds up.
I remember loving Kirks interactions with the Base Commander, and his lawyer was a fun character. "Books young man, books!" Feels quite relevant to me today.
It also still makes me smile to sit in recreations of the bridge and see the 'Jettison Pod' button on the Captains chair!

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2017 at 10:19pm | IP Logged | 8  

I remember loving Kirks interactions with the Base Commander, and his lawyer was a fun character.
++++++++

It's rather unfortunate that Percy Rodriguez as Commodore Stone doesn't quite get the proper credit for technically being the first Black Captain of TREK. 
+++++++++

It also still makes me smile to sit in recreations of the bridge and see the 'Jettison Pod' button on the Captains chair!
++++++++

Or, as I like to call it, the "Kill Finney" button! I think I once saw photos of a recreated Captain's Chair which actually used that label, instead of "Jettison Pod".

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 06 February 2017 at 8:41am | IP Logged | 9  

Or, as I like to call it, the "Kill Finney" button! I think I once saw photos of a recreated Captain's Chair which actually used that label, instead of "Jettison Pod".

Might as well call it the "Plot Device" button. After the episode was first broadcast, much as I enjoyed it, I expended an inordinate amount of mental energy on trying to figure out just what an "ion pod" was, and why it was needed. Wasn't Spock's science station up to the task of measuring such storms?

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2017 at 10:59am | IP Logged | 10  

It's more than a bit contrived. An "ion pod" specifically intended to gather data regarding ion storms that the usual sensors are apparently unable to? And this is so important that the Captain's chair has a dedicated button which will jettison it, in case of emergency? 

Of course, it's all just a plot device to set up the courtroom drama, but I do wish they'd come up with something less contrived.

On a similar note, the Remastered version of the episode turned the blinking navigation light on the rear starboard secondary hull of the Enterprise (just forward of the hangar doors) into the ion pod. There had been many fan theories as to the pod's location, over the years, but I find this "official" answer to be rather nonsensical.

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 06 February 2017 at 11:00am

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 06 February 2017 at 11:50am | IP Logged | 11  

Every so often there seemed to be a pod-like object protruding from the forward underside of the secondary hull. I took that to be the ion pod.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2017 at 12:39am | IP Logged | 12  

Ah yes, I believe that would be the model's mounting stand, visible due to poor bluescreen matting! I know a lot of fans have labeled that "pod like object" as the tractor beam emitter, over the years. Considering the technical markings on the underside of the secondary hull, it makes sense that some of them would be hatches through which various instruments and such could be extended.

As for the ion pod, I tend to be partial to the fan theory that it's the "nipple" on the navigational sensor dome on the underside of the saucer. Since the dome is, well, a sensor dome, it sorta makes sense to me that the ion pod would be located there (which it could sweep directly forward of the ship, similarly to the navigational deflector at the front of the secondary hull).

Of course, the discovery of the, er, tallywacker protruding from the nipple indicates that it might have been designed and intended as some sort of weapon turret! Also, it was just very recently discovered that both the upper and lower saucer's illuminated domes were actually green (not unlike the old AMT kit), rather than white! The 'ol girl's still full of surprises, I tells ya!

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 07 February 2017 at 9:14am | IP Logged | 13  

Also, it was just very recently discovered that both the upper and lower saucer's illuminated domes were actually green (not unlike the old AMT kit), rather than white! The 'ol girl's still full of surprises, I tells ya!

All these years, it has never occurred to me that those domes were anything BUT green. After all, why would AMT lie to me? (I mean, other than the grid on top of the primary hull being embossed...)

Roy Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2017 at 10:17am | IP Logged | 14  

I could "buy" the ion pod, but could never figure out why it needed to be ejected. Now I need to re-watch it.

Edited by Roy Johnson on 07 February 2017 at 10:21am

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version