Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: DS9 Revisited (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2017 at 12:35pm | IP Logged | 1  

I've been binge watching DS9 lately.  For some reason I stopped watching the show somewhere in the 3rd season.  I don't remember why, it may have been a scheduling thing.  

Anyway, I'm through episode 7 of the 3rd season right now and I'm thoroughly enjoying it so far.  For me, every episode is brand new, even though I have some knowledge of what's going to happen to some characters (i.e. Dax).  Apparently my memories of the show were definitely off.  I always felt that it was a bit too political/religious for my taste because of Sisko being considered "the Emissary".  I obviously missed far more than I realized.

Of the four spin off shows from TOS, I think Voyager is by the best, but DS9 is creeping up there quickly.  I'm looking forward to finally watching all the episodes.

Back to Top profile | search

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2017 at 12:48pm | IP Logged | 2  

When DS9 spends an entire season on the Dominion War, it is the best single season of any Trek show ever, IMHO.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 21 February 2017 at 2:13pm | IP Logged | 3  

There were a few episodes of DS9 that managed to catch the lightning. Since I didn't watch the show regularly, I'm guessing there were probably more than the ones I saw.

One in particular, where the Doctor was faced with a terrible plague on an alien world felt very TOS to me.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2017 at 3:15pm | IP Logged | 4  

Of The spin off shows. DS9 is far and away my favorite. Unlike the other's I liked everyone of the regular cast members. Heck the show even made me grow to like Worf. I've enjoyed the various combination of relationships that happened on the show. The only thing that I disliked was how the show could be over the top with religion at times. Thankfully there were enough voices on the show to counter that Bajoran religion crap.

Brian Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2017 at 3:42pm | IP Logged | 5  

DS9 was my favorite Trek show. The Dominion war
definitely put it over the top.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2017 at 5:54pm | IP Logged | 6  

While Deep Space Nine was never my favorite Star Trek spin off I have come to appreciate some of the episodes of the series just like with the other spin offs. (Voyager was my favorite after TNG as I loved the new setting and possibilities but later on I realized how these were never fully used to their potential)

I am also not a big fan of the Bajoran religion elements, I did not mind it as one of the backdrop plots, but it started to take so much more lead in the series that it made DSN sometimes rather fantasy like, especially when the whole conflict between the Prophets and Pah-Wraiths came into play.

For example the plot in the final series when Dukat wanted to unleash the Pah-Wraiths from the Fire Caves felt really more like something out of Star Wars or Lord of the Rings.

I also didn't mind that the producers wanted to show the more gray areas of the Federation but at some point there felt this whole backlash of them against the Federation Utopia, or even technology and how easier it can make life.

I do think it will probably hold out better than Voyager will over the long run.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2017 at 7:18pm | IP Logged | 7  

Funny thing about the Dominion war is that i think the show jumped the shark during it. 

I also didn't care for the series finale, where Sisko basically became Bajoran Jesus. But I still think Voyager's finale was worse.

My order of favorite Trek shows is

TOS
TNG
DS9
VOYAGER

I refuse to accept ENTERPRISE as canon, and rarely watched it after the first season. I've seen the Mirror Universe two parter and maybe three other post-first season episodes.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2017 at 12:30am | IP Logged | 8  

There's a Mirror Universe ENTERPRISE? They really didn't let Kirk do anything first did they. Gits 

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2017 at 12:40am | IP Logged | 9  

It's technically not stealing a "first" from Kirk. For once. Just a two-parter set in the Mirror universe during Archer's era, with the lost Defiant (from "The Tholian Web") traveling through space and time to pop up in that universe. 

Andrew Saxon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2017 at 1:23am | IP Logged | 10  

I always felt DS9 was Trek looking over its shoulder at what Babylon 5 was doing and trying to keep up.The war between the two quadrants always seemed a bit silly to me, being fought, as it was, through the bottleneck of the Wormhole - it would be a little like England and France conducting a war through the Channel Tunnel.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2017 at 7:25am | IP Logged | 11  

Andrew, do not get me started on the comparisons between DS9 and BABYLON 5. That Strazynski actually went to Paramount with a concept for a space station, next to an intergalactic gateway (jump gate), that is a centre for commerce and leads to an intergalactic war and they rejected it - before they started work on DS9?

Yeah, not linked at all.

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2017 at 8:13am | IP Logged | 12  

The Mirror universe episode of DS9 was ok.  I think they tried too hard to make the difference stand out and they lost what made the original so much fun.  The Mirror counterparts really weren't evil enough.  They, for the most part, were essentially the same as "this universe's" characters.

The Cardassians were still bastards.  Kira was still bitchy, but just more sexualized.  Quark was still a con man, but was running the "terran underground".  The only differences were the Federation officers, but only because they had been defeated and enslaved.

I was very disappointed in that episode.

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2017 at 8:28am | IP Logged | 13  

James - That sort of thing is all to common in Hollywood. CBS pumped Roddenberry for ideas when he pitched Star Trek to them. And then ended the meeting by saying they had their own SF show Lost In Space in the works, so they weren't really interested in a second SF show.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2017 at 9:17am | IP Logged | 14  

I was very disappointed in that episode.
-------------------------------------------
There were five Mirror Universe episodes of DS9.They varied in quality, I think its safe to say.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2017 at 9:23am | IP Logged | 15  

I've also been binge-watching DS9 since the DVD re-release, I'm just past the mid-point of the fifth season.  Other than some very 90's costuming in season one, I think its held up amazingly well.  I've boggled a few times that certain episodes were made pre-9/11.  Its also interesting to see Ron Moore use most of the same tropes he was going to revisit in BSG but in a more restrained manner.

One thing that's interesting to me is how little ramp up there was, possibly because most of the cast were more experienced as actors than some of the TNG cast were. There are a few duds in the first season, mostly the episodes that were trying to be TNG (Lets do a Q episode!  Lets throw in Lwaxana Troi!), but you've also got an episode like Duet in the very first season.  Just great stuff all the way through so far.

I haven't seen most of these episodes in 20 years, give or take, and its much better than I remembered, though I remember being pretty disappointed in season seven until the final few episodes.

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2017 at 10:00am | IP Logged | 16  

Deep Space Nine was a bit of an odd one before it finally found its own voice, experimenting with some of the elements of TNG.
Unfortunate DSN's voice was never really my taste as I felt it had barely any space adventures going on and I can only take so much character drama, politics, and religion.

Its also interesting to see Ron Moore use most of the same tropes he was going to revisit in BSG but in a more restrained manner.

Hmm, could you please mention them for me?

One thing that irked me about his Battlestar Galactica was the religious angle and the pseudo mythology.
I can understand that after a disaster such as the destruction of the twelve colonies by robots and nuclear weapons that people would turn to religion for comfort, but all the nonsense and coincidences to make it true.

And not to mention the "human" Cylons who believe that God gave them a soul after He felt that humans had failed and Cylons were better.
Oddly enough these "Cylons with a soul" had no problem enslaving their fully artificial brethren by limiting their intelligence and self awareness.
Guess you must be partly organic to qualify for a soul huh.

There were five Mirror Universe episodes of DS9.They varied in quality, I think its safe to say.

I felt that the Mirror Universe in Deep Space Nine very rapidly became a boring and overused setting or backdrop for episodes, an excuse to do things the writers could not do in the real timeline such as killing characters or destroy plot important things.

As some other fans mentioned, the place were everyone is an asshole and is busy backstabbing each other.

Edited by Marten van Wier on 22 February 2017 at 11:14am

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2017 at 10:25am | IP Logged | 17  

Hmm, could you please mention them for me? (Ron Moore/BSG/DS9 Parallels)
---------------------------------------------------------
1) As you mention, the religious stuff
2) Who is secretly a changeling/cylon?  Going around doing blood tests to find out.
3) Issues surrounding military occupation and actions taken during time of war
4) Military/Civilian government authority conflicts

Those are just a few off the top of my head.  Also, at a completely frivolous level, James Callis and Alexander Siddig look a lot alike.

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2017 at 10:44am | IP Logged | 18  

I've only seen one so far (season 2).  I'm currently midway through season 3.  Sisko doesn't have his goatee yet.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2017 at 12:13pm | IP Logged | 19  

Sisko doesn't have his goatee yet.
-----------------------------------------------
One of the great retrospective ironies is that when he was cast, Avery Brooks had the shaved head and goatee that he had later in the show, but since he was the first African-American lead on a Star Trek show, the producers thought his look was too off-putting.  They made him redo his look to something that would be more comfortable for white audiences, so...

...they tried to make him look like Bill Cosby.

Joe Boster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2017 at 3:08pm | IP Logged | 20  

Unfortunate DSN's voice was never really my taste as I felt it had barely any space adventures going on and I can only take so much character drama, politics, and religion.

++++++++++

I had tried to watch DS9 before I started ENT . Got about 1/2 a seson in  end of season  start of season 3. Currently watching voyager.

What I notice is that all 3 but especially in DS9 is things happen to them. In TOS, TAS, the movies and the better Enterprise they go and do things.Active vs. Passive. 

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2017 at 3:33pm | IP Logged | 21  

Season 4, episode 2 "The Visitor" is one of my favorite
episodes of any TREK series.

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2017 at 8:34am | IP Logged | 22  

I just got through season 3 over the weekend.  I'm now definitely venturing into "unknown territory".  I've seen bits and pieces of the episodes that had Worf in them, but never an entire episode. 

Looking forward to seeing them now!

Bob Freeman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2017 at 11:25am | IP Logged | 23  

My family has been watching DS9 for the past couple of months. We just got to Season 5 last night.

DS9 is my favorite Trek. Sharing it with my wife and son has been a real treat.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 01 March 2017 at 12:27pm | IP Logged | 24  

I find it very interesting that so many people choose DS9 as their favorite iteration of STAR TREK. To each his own, but the show is so far from the basic premise of the franchise it feels to me a bit like saying DALLAS is one's favorite Western.

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2017 at 2:25pm | IP Logged | 25  

I vaguely remember the producers at the time saying TOS was "Wagon Train" and DS9 was "Gunsmoke" when comparing it to westerns.

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version