Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek
Topic: Andromeda Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 23 February 2017 at 2:12pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I found myself just now thinking in practical terms about our sister galaxy.

Twice during the run of TOS, Kirk and Co. encountered beings from Andromeda.* Now, applying the "space is big" rule, this raises a question: just how many expeditions are journeying from Andromeda to the Milky Way if Our Heroes encountered two of them? Granted, one of those encounters was engineered by Harry Mudd, but considering Mudd as part of the extended "family," it still leaves us with a pretty high ratio of coincidence.

Unless, of course, visitors from Andromeda are really quite common.

---------------

* Technically M-61 in Andromeda. It is the constellation, not the galaxy, that bears the name.

Back to Top profile | search

Aleksandar Petrovic
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2017 at 10:04pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

How often is the idea of M-61 visitors (re)visited in the TNG era? I cannot think of an instance from the top of my head. 

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 06 May 2017 at 4:33am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

REvisited once, to a total of two encounters with beings from M-61 (or their creations). Given the distances involved -- not to mention the size of our own galaxy as a target -- two is a LOT!

Aleksandar Petrovic
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 May 2017 at 2:29pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Is there a New Visions story involving M-61 visitors on the horizon? :) 

Ron Goad
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 May 2017 at 3:27pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Well - M-61 and the Milky Way are next-door neighbors...

Aleksandar Petrovic
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 May 2017 at 8:52am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Any visitors from the neighbouring galaxy would have to have vastly superior technology (attested by the virtue of them being in the Milky Way), which is the only story parameter set in stone that I can think of.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 07 May 2017 at 9:02am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Any visitors from the neighbouring galaxy would have to have vastly superior technology (attested by the virtue of them being in the Milky Way), which is the only story parameter set in stone that I can think of.

First, it should be noted that Rojan, in BY ANY OTHER NAME, says the Kelvan Empire sent ships to explore other galaxies, plural. So it was basically the local group they were checking out.

Coming to the Milky Way, Rojan and his party are faced with millions upon millions of stars (assuming the planet on which they are encounted represents an example of what they were looking for).

So we now have the nearly insurmountable coincidence that it was the Enterprise crew who picked up the Kelvan's distress call. That the Kelvans landed inside the Alpha Quadrant, close to the boundaries of Federation space.

BY ANY OTHER NAME is not a strong episode, and it launches from a pretty unlikely platform.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 May 2017 at 12:59pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Coming to the Milky Way, Rojan and his party are faced with millions upon millions of stars (assuming the planet on which they are encounted represents an example of what they were looking for).

So we now have the nearly insurmountable coincidence that it was the Enterprise crew who picked up the Kelvan's distress call. That the Kelvans landed inside the Alpha Quadrant, close to the boundaries of Federation space.

-----------------------------------------------------

Well, technically speaking, they'd have to arrive somewhere, and if where they chose was basically random, they had the exact same odds of ending up on the border of Federation space near the Enterprise as they did of ending up at any other particular point in the galaxy.

Plus, the probability of something happening that has happened is 1.  My wife and I grew up 45 minutes from each other and are 9 months apart in age.  Yet we didn't meet until we were both in our thirties, and were living in different states.  And we met in a venue that was host, at the time, to 6 million people online.  The odds of that happening are astronomical in the abstract.  But it actually happened.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 07 May 2017 at 2:15pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Well, technically speaking, they'd have to arrive somewhere, and if where they chose was basically random, they had the exact same odds of ending up on the border of Federation space near the Enterprise as they did of ending up at any other particular point in the galaxy.

Plus, the probability of something happening that has happened is 1. My wife and I grew up 45 minutes from each other and are 9 months apart in age. Yet we didn't meet until we were both in our thirties, and were living in different states. And we met in a venue that was host, at the time, to 6 million people online. The odds of that happening are astronomical in the abstract. But it actually happened.

Contrary to what I have said myself, in jest, the odds of anything happening are not 50/50 (It will or it won't). The odds of the Kelvans arriving at any star in the Milky Way are the same. The odds of it being a star to which Our Heroes are close enough to pick up a distress call pushes the tale deep into the murky realms of coincidence.

As to you and your wife, you're looking at it from the wrong direction. Sure, you "met" online. But how far would you have progressed if she'd been living in China? It is propinquity that made it happen, not a remarkable coincidence.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 May 2017 at 7:07pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I yield the point if for no other reason than to celebrate your use of the word propinquity.

Edited by Steve De Young on 07 May 2017 at 7:08pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version