Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: "City at World’s End" (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 March 2017 at 11:44am | IP Logged | 1  

Over the decades, I have many times cited this book by Edmond Hamilton as being my favorite science-fiction novel. Many a time, when I have done so, some among you have expressed a desire to check out the book for yourselves.

So, having just completed my umpety-umpth reading, I want to ask how many of you have actually found it and read it, and what did you think?

Don't think you have to spare my feelings. I want honest "reviews," good or bad.

Back to Top profile | search

Joseph Greathouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2017 at 12:06pm | IP Logged | 2  

Haven't heard of it before now, but its only $0.99 on Kindle.  So I have picked it up.  I like the premise.  I have read similar books in the reverse (city being transported into the past).  Thanks for the recommendation.  

Jeff Patterson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2017 at 12:39pm | IP Logged | 3  

Great book. One of the many that Del Rey brought back into print in the late 70s/early 80s, along with Brackett and C.L. Moore,  back when reprinting underappreciated classics was a thing. Always wished Kenniston was given more character in the first half, aside from being our "this can't be happening!" POV. When he comes into his own as a protag it's a thing of beauty.
Hamilton also had a mastery for quick sketches of settings in scenes: size of the space, quality of light, smells, sounds. He applies this with equal care for both the mundane environs and the fantastic ones, getting a lot of the narrative heavy-lifting out of the way so that sense-of-wonder can flow unimpeded when it needs to.
Notable for me is that this book is such a standout against the number of truly astounding series he did. As much as Star Kings and Capt. Future still resonate in modern Space Opera, "City" was such a precise and staggering exploration of the future its mark was truly indelible. Every time I read a Robert Charles Wilson book concerning one person's place in the greater cosmos, I hear echoes of Hamilton.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2017 at 12:48pm | IP Logged | 4  

I found it after you had recommended several years ago.  The ideas presented were unique.  The first was that humans were the elder life forms in the galaxy.  Also the idea of the rebels against the establishment, to try something new, and that he did not stay on earth.  It's better then most early sci fi.  I also liked how the writer presented the "old timer's"  fearful, and just wanting to stay in their town.  In some ways it made me think of Alas Babylon.  I wish my sons would read it, they don't/haven't read any books I have suggested.  

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2017 at 2:12pm | IP Logged | 5  

I have, unfortunately not read it yet.  However, I see that it's a freebie on Kindle for me, so I just downloaded it.  So now it's in the "pipeline" for me.

I'll let you know what I think when I get to it!  (I'm about to start the new James Bond novel: TRIGGER MORTIS)

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2017 at 2:49pm | IP Logged | 6  

I recommend having a paper copy first, but you can also listen to it here:

Sean Watson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2017 at 4:00pm | IP Logged | 7  

I found a copy and have reread it every year since I got it. It is a product of it's time but found it very enjoyable. It made me want to find more similar stories that have the same feel to it. I'm a big fan of the War of The Worlds movie ( not the Tom Cruise one) and it reminded me of that. Meaning that it felt similar, because when I was reading it for the first time I could see it as a movie from around the same time as the War of The Worlds film. I would love to see it as a movie! I would hope that if they did they would keep it set in that time period and not done set in present day. 

I like it a lot more then some of the stuff done today. I wish he had done a few more books set in that universe. JB thanks for telling the forum about it. I may never had heard about it otherwise. I keep hoping that you may do it in comic book form. 

Matthew Chartrand
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2017 at 6:50pm | IP Logged | 8  

It had the same feel, in my mind, as Forbidden Planet. If it was to be made into a movie it should have been back then.

I wonder how hard it would be to acquire the rights to do a comic book adaptation. John Byrne's Science Fiction Classics Illustrated.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 March 2017 at 6:02am | IP Logged | 9  

About twenty (or more) years ago I was all set to do an adaptation, and then it didn't come together. Just as well. My images of those characters keep changing.

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2017 at 9:07am | IP Logged | 10  

Any thought to trying again, JB?

Brad Brickley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 March 2017 at 12:53am | IP Logged | 11  

I started reading this tonight and am up to the water tower. It has sucked me so far and I'm enjoying the read. 

For some reason I keep reading Kenniston as Kensington and am having to consciously read it properly. 

Edited by Brad Brickley on 26 March 2017 at 1:03am
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 March 2017 at 10:22am | IP Logged | 12  

For some reason I keep reading Kenniston as Kensington and am having to consciously read it properly.

••

One of the old paperback editions I had, long ago, actually spelled it "Kensington" on the back cover!

There's also a character called Margro who kept becoming Margo!!

Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version