Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: Thor: Ragnarok SPOILERS start Pg 6 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 October 2017 at 4:42pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Eric,you have not seen the film yet! ;-)
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 30 October 2017 at 12:31pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

As this has already opened internationally, I'm adding a...

SPOILER WARNING 

...to the thread title.  You've been warned!!!
Back to Top profile | search

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 October 2017 at 2:18pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Saw it this today. Really liked it but I think amany May think the humour goes too far.

The design work is pure Kirby and Hela looks incredible.

The cameos were funny

Larry Morris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 October 2017 at 4:42pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

More I read more convinced I'll be one of those people.  Just saw where the director says he added 30 minutes more to make the final cut.  I think it's 2 hours and 10 minutes now.  Anyway, the 30 minutes that were added were jokes.  That's pretty much what he said.  30 minutes of jokes or humor.

Again, I'll think I'll pass.  I'll probably  watch it when it comes to cable.  Pay to go see it now?  Nope.

Mal Gardiner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 October 2017 at 4:53am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Just got home from the cinema - did I miss it, or was there no mention of Uncle Walt in the "Thanks to" list in the end credits...?

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 October 2017 at 8:45am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Walt got his own specific credit in the U.K. version.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 October 2017 at 9:54am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Walt gets a long sentence. Following that, Greg Pak and someone else, not sure who as didn't have time to read it, but think it may be one of the artists, also got a sentence.
And then the usual list of writers/artists follow

Mal Gardiner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 October 2017 at 3:09pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Gotcha - saw the long list ( Sal & John Buscema, Jack Kirby, Mike Ploog, Greg Pak, and a fistful of others) but missed Walt's credit. Glad to be proven wrong.

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 October 2017 at 4:14pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Saw it a few days ago and enjoyed it. The fanboy in me loved watching Thor fight while Zeppelin was playing. 

Philippe Pinoli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2017 at 10:41am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Very Funny. Great movie.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2017 at 8:41pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Overall,  I enjoyed it, but I feel the humor was a bit much at times.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 03 November 2017 at 12:01am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I'm seeing this Saturday (IMAX 3D) so I can't comment on the film until after, but I do have to wonder where is the line?  So much has been made on this forum and others about the drab, dour and downright depressing nature of the DC films, yet people are slamming Thor for being too light, too funny, with too many jokes.  Personally, I thought GotG struck the right chord: fun, funny, but with emotional stakes for all the characters.  

So what's the right balance? And if you had to lean one way of the other, which would it be?

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2017 at 12:43am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Matt R, everyone has their own ideas of what is too much. Frankly, my problem with the DC films, at least the Zack Snyder directed films, is not so much the dark and dourness, though Superman movies should be about hope, it's that the characters, particularly Superman, is so off base as to be offensively so.

My problem with "Thor: Ragnarok" -- Keeping in mind that overall it is enjoyable -- is the humor does seem somewhat at the hero's expense, and borders on being outright campy in places.

For most Marvel characters, I would prefer straight action with believable, character-driven humor as it would apply to the way the character has been portrayed in the comics.

I can accept that the movie Tony Stark is a smart-ass, even if it is a deviation from the comic, because it is mostly done in a natural way that doesn't feel like he is some sitcom character, or worse, in a slapstick comedy. However, I would not be so happy if Steve Rogers were written as someone who makes quips all the time. He shouldn't be humorless, but he isn't doing stand-up, either. So far, he has been done right in terms of his personality and is one of the better screen versions of a Marvel character due to that case.

Peter Parker as Spider-Man, of course, is someone who is famously a smart-ass to villains, and jokes with fellow heroes. While I also enjoyed "Doctor Strange," Stephen Strange was certainly more comical in the film version, yet it didn't go overboard for me. This Thor skirts uncomfortably close, though, to being too much.

Matt Reed wrote:
...Personally, I thought GotG struck the right chord: fun, funny, but with emotional stakes for all the characters.  ..

I agree, but note that I am only vaguely familiar with that particular incarnation of the team from the comics. Because of this, I am not as critical about the humor, but I do think those films struck a good balance. In contrast, the emotional stakes in Thor's new film were, for me, somewhat undermined by there being jokes before, during, and after some emotional scenes.

Humor being subjective, we won't all agree on whether there is too much in this new film, but I can see Marvel is starting to add more humor to each film (likely due to the success of GoTG0, whether it fits or not. THE BLACK PANTHER looks to have a good balance in the trailers, mostly being about action, so that's good to me.

Basically, I am not telling anyone not to see the film. There are many good points about it, too. But, I am just saying how I feel about the humor in this film. As always, it's simply a difference of opinion.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 03 November 2017 at 1:08am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Yes. Agreed and understood.  My post was not in reaction to yours specifically or only, but the general reaction I've read here and elsewhere.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2017 at 2:11am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Enjoyed THOR: RAGNAROK. In terms of scope and action, I think this has come the closest in capturing the Simonson Thor stories.

As far as the humor, I thought it was just the right amount EXCEPT for Korg, which I thought was too much of Taika Waititi doing his WHAT WE DO IN THE SHADOWS schtick. It felt out of place, and he undercut what should have been a more dramatic moment at the end.

I oddly liked Valkyrie. I say oddly because I couldn't stand Tessa Thompson's character in VERONICA MARS and I couldn't stand her character in CREED, and I was concerned my dislike would carry over to this film, but it didn't.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2017 at 2:41am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Korg`s thick New Zealand accent really took me out of the film whenever he appeared.But as I said before,i left the cinema smiling,you can`t say that about a DC film!

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2017 at 3:11am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Stan Lee presciently set the tone for the movies in his Sixties scripts so consequently I'd prefer the movies err on the side of humor. If they're as serious as James Bond movies, isn't that about right? The movies probably have proportionally more "Shellhead" this and "I didn't think ya  wuz the Beatles!" that than the Lee/Kirby comics, but that's also a product of the denser pace of our entertainment time, but stylistically in harmony. Also, the villains wisecrack a lot more in the movies, doubling the crack-wisery.

Even though the 2017 Marvel Studios movies have all been comedies, they had high(-ish) stakes and personal drama. There was less time devoted to personal drama in RAGNAROK but there was something refreshing in how the movies basically dedicated a couple balloons to soliloquizing over Odin and moved on.

I'm pretty out of touch with Marvel comics produced since the Nineties. I assume they've strayed even further from the classics than I remember. The movies rank well with some of the good stories from my day, and far higher than the comics that drove me away.

I'm not going to kid myself. Marvel Studios will ultimately find their way to ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET SPIDER-MAN, but it's going to take a few more years.

As for RAGNAROK:
  • By namechecking Simonson's frog story immediately, RAGNAROK deftly heads off any unfair criticism that its tone is a departure for Thor.
  • If it weren't for the progressive comic book storytelling education neuron mapping Marvel Studios encodes in each film, I may have found RAGNAROK incomprehensible. At times it felt edited by William S. Burroughs, ACE.
  • I get annoyed seeing classic panels reproduced literally, but stripped of the context and drama from the source, which 90% of the time was better than what made it to the screen. 
  • Loved the Flash Gordon thing it had going.
  • Best Marvel score to date. Mark Mothersbaugh ftw.

It's kind of hilarious that a Marvel movie can be judged by whether or not it's Marvel's best film to date, but here were are, and while a lot of reviewers think so, I don't know if it is. It's possible four Marvel Studios film in 12 months is testing my capacity. We'll see how I hold up with a pace of five in 12 months into next year.

Edited by David Miller on 03 November 2017 at 3:17am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2017 at 3:43am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

The crew at Double Toasted give their review:

LINK.

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2017 at 3:58am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

With Ragnarok we finally saw Thor at a power level you could be impressed with!  

The gladiator battle with Hulk was amazing.  

Spoiler.....

I liked Tessa Thompson as Valkyrie.  There is a blond Valkyrie (Brunhilde ?) in a flashback that dies saving Tess Thompson’s character in the battle with Hela.  I suspect this is the character that was hinted to have a relationship with “Scrapper”.  The scenes that cemented this notion in the story were cut.  But it explains why “Scrapper” went into exile.  Her lover died saving her life.

Loki was his usual double crossing self.  Thankfully Thor finally got wise to him.  The scene where the trickster gets tricked was gold.

I fell in love with Cate Blanchett’s Hela in the same way I fell for Gal Gadot’s WW.  The way she slinked and slithered and chewed every word was just awesome.  I bet she returns in some fashion.

Stan Lee’s cameo was fantastic.  Really funny as usual.

The humor was spot on most of the time.  But I can admit that you could have done the exact story without much of the humor and still have a very satisfying time.   Again, this was Thor as the powerhouse we know he is.  Hopefully the Russo Bros. Are ready to give us more in the upcoming Infinity War installments.

“Baby arms!”  Too funny!

I do want him to get Mjolnir back in his hands asap.  I know we now have a kind of all new, all different Thor in the MCU.  But the Thunder God is simply better with the hammer.  Which was once again used in very clever ways in this film.  

Hats off the the cast and crew.  Well done.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2017 at 4:32am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Another review, this one in contrast to the Doubled Toasted one I linked to above is more negative:

LINK

Interesting that one review praises the humor, and the other knocks how extreme it is. But, as I note above, it's a subjective thing.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2017 at 6:03am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

It's a fun movie, but I'm too much of a fan to really feel the love. Odin dead, Warriors Three murdered, Asgardians decimated, Mjolnir destroyed, Thor blinded, Asgard destroyed. And the cliffhanger shows the survivors facing a Chtauri warship. This is a disaster movie wrapped up in a comedy. 

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2017 at 6:59am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

I'm sure Mjolnir will come back. And how many times has Odin died in the comics? (Granted, Anthony Hopkins probably doesn't want to play Odin again.)

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2017 at 1:25pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

THIS is why the MCU rules!

How crazy and fun is this!?

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2017 at 9:49pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

That was a lot of fun! I'll definitely will have to see this one more time.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 04 November 2017 at 11:59am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

THIS

There are a lot of people out there who still think the old Adam West "Batman" series was a huge success.* We saw a manifestation of this when Joel Schulmacher sent Tim Burton's "dark" version careening off the rails. One could almost picture the Studio boardroom where execs sat around saying "This 'dark' version is a huge success, so it will probably be an even BIGGER sucess if we make it FUNNY!"

For the most part Marvel movies seemed to avoid this trap -- for a while. There was humor, there was a light touch -- where appropriate. But then came GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY and DEADPOOL, and all bets were off. Now, as noted before, the latest Thor movie is greeted -- nay, WELCOMED -- as a COMEDY. The above article reflects what I am seeing more and more.

There's an old saying in Hollywood: "Nobody wants to be first, but everybody wants to be second." Brace yourselves now for the rush to make Marvel's movies "funnier" and "funnier", until the tipping point is reached and "Holy oil can, Iron Man!"

I can't wait for next year and the laff riot of the death of Phoenix!

--------------------

* It wasn't. It crashed and burned in the equivalent of two seasons.

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version