Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: Thor: Ragnarok SPOILERS start Pg 6 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 November 2017 at 10:02pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Well, the scene with Thor from the DS movie was incorporated into this one, so the chances were pretty good he’d have them on. 
Back to Top profile | search

Marc M. Woolman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 November 2017 at 10:15pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Saw it with my daughter. We enjoyed it. I thought it was
going to be a flat-out comedy, but instead, it was an
action movie with humour. It knew when to be serious.

I'd say both the Guardians of the Galaxy movies are more
straight-up comedies than Thor: Ragnarok is. (the first
Guardians NOT knowing when to be serious, -challenging
Ronan to a dance-off-ugh!)

The Kirby visuals were great, Hela was perfect. Don't
get the rave reviews though, It's a good Marvel film but
nowhere near their best.

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 November 2017 at 1:38am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

...what scenes or frames in the movie were lifted directly from the pages of the comic?
The Executioner’s last stand, for sure.

Robbed of it's context with no Amora to spurn him coupled with Skurge's wisecracking and weaseling his way throughout the movie the power of that particular moment is completely lost.  No songs of valor will be sung about "the guy who managed to accidentally fall off the escape ship at the last moment".

Did anyone else think the Asgardians fleeing their doomed world in a single ship to be eerily similar to the plight of Beta Ray Bill and the Korbonites?  Fleeing Surtur's wrath, no less.   Come to think of it, the ship was very Skuttlebutt-esque and there was a statue of BRB's head on Sakaar.   Hmmm....  

Why do they constantly talk about Asgard like it's a planet rather than a separate dimensional plane?   Even the escape at the end was structured like they were fleeting Krypton.   Mistaking the "Nine Realms" as the planets of the solar system is erm... a pretty big mistake.

There was no need to turn Korg and Miek into a second rate Groot and Rocket Raccoon.  Absolutely none.

Thor losing the hammer but realizing 'the power was always inside of him' was done better more than 30 years ago in a little Jim Starlin comic called DREADSTAR.

My date for the film asked me afterward why, if Thor is the 'God of Thunder' does he shoot a lot of lightning in the film *without* any associated thunder?   I didn't have a satisfactory answer, but it's a really good point from a non-comics person.

Edited by Rob Ocelot on 06 November 2017 at 1:40am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 November 2017 at 7:21am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Like everything that Marvel has produced, I can nitpick what I don't like but at the end of it all, I still enjoyed the movie. Just as Tony Stark has become Robert Downey Jr., Thor is now Chris Hemsworth as far as the movies are concerned. Not so great for the long-time comic book fans but as far as mass consumption goes, I guess if people like it, Marvel will continue to write him that way in the movies. I assume that characterization will make it's way to the comics.

Jack Bohn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 November 2017 at 10:42am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Probably not a panel taken from a comic, but I was listening to a podcast about previous Hulk/Thor fights, and they mentioned THOR #112, where fans had posters of Hulk or Thor heads on sticks. I say probably not a call out or easter egg, just both drawing on the same observation.

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 November 2017 at 10:42am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Rob - The woman I went to the movie with asked me the very same question about the lack of thunder.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Daniel Gillotte
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 November 2017 at 11:56am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I have yet to see a Marvel movie that is ACTUALLY a comedy and I feel REAl skeptical of anyone attempting to classify Thor as one. There are jokes (and not all of them land) and a light heart at times but there is also meaning and some moving moments and a TON of incredible pulse-pounding action (like the covers of Marvel comics USED to shout about)!

BUT, I did find myself GRINNING ear to ear for most of the movie (as I have for both Guardians films) but not JUST at the funny stuff. I was also grinning when Thor whacked Hulk with Hulk's own GIGANTIC hammer and sent him circling the colosseum. And when they got the LED out as Thor went all God of Thunder on the horde at the Rainbow Bridge.

It does a GREAT job using the Hulk and is a fine introduction to someone who should prove to be a great character (Valkyrie). 

As far as myths and legends go. It seems to have as much allegiance to Norse mythology as Stan did. Enough to be fun not too much to be ponderous or just a retelling.

Walt Simonson seemed pretty delighted by the homages (or swipes or whatever) from his work.

These Marvel movies are TOP NOTCH entertainment to me that respect the source material (imperfectly at times, but overall well) and seem to find ways to make he public into super fans more than any other superhero series yet.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 November 2017 at 2:26pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

"the scene with Thor from the DS movie was incorporated into this one, so the chances were pretty good he’d have them on. "

Your right Brian, I didn't even think of that.

Ah well, it was a happy moment anyway.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 November 2017 at 2:49pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

It totally was. The first thing I noticed when I saw him. 

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 November 2017 at 2:51pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Who are Korg and Meik? I don’t recognize them from the comics at all. And I did not think they were Rocket and Groot 2.0. I actually thought the rock/paper/scissors bits were pretty funny. 

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 November 2017 at 3:31pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Korg was introduced (or re-introduced) in the Planet Hulk saga. He became one of Hulk's War Band (whatever they were called). They changed his coloring, probably so he wouldn't look like The Thing.

I think Meik was an insectoid in the comics , introduced along with Korg (and others). He/it definitely was not a slug-type creature.

Edited by Robert Shepherd on 06 November 2017 at 3:34pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 November 2017 at 3:48pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Korg was a Saturn-Man, right? One of those rock aliens from Thor's debut? 

I enjoyed them. Korg's deadpan reminded me of the blasé what-the-fuck-ery in Marvel's Seventies cosmic titles. 

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 November 2017 at 3:52pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Korg was one of the "Stone Men from Saturn" in Thor's first appearance in Journey Into Mystery. As Robert said, he was reintroduced in PLANET HULK as one of the aliens forced to fight in the gladiator games.

In the comics, Miek started out as a weak ant-like creature who later grew into a much stronger, beetle-like form.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 November 2017 at 7:00pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

So, in that leaked Avengers 3 footage from SDCC where Thor slams face first into the GOTG ship, did he only have one eye?

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 November 2017 at 7:09pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

I just looked. He has two eyes. 

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 November 2017 at 7:59pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Which is probably why to official trailer is taking so long.  Thor is getting a CG-eye patch.

Edited by David Allen Perrin on 06 November 2017 at 8:00pm

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 November 2017 at 11:10pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Yeah, you can't go by the SDCC trailer as far as Thor's eye. The trailers for RAGNAROK, where Thor gears up to attack on the Rainbow Bridge after the clip where Hela taunts him, shows Thor with both eyes intact:

LINK.

This is not how that scene appears in the actual film, however. I am guessing the INFINITY WAR teaser purposely showed Thor with both eyes just to hide what happens in RAGNAROK.  

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2017 at 11:36am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

I just re-read Wall Simonson's run through the attack on Hel, and I must say, as much as I liked RAGNAROK, now that a Thor trilogy is done, it's a shame how much was left on the table from Asgard alone:
  • Balder the Brave (not to mention just about every non-family Aesir aside from Heimdall and the Warriors 3)
  • At least five or so Realms
  • Harokin and the Einherjar
  • Karnilla
  • Amora and Lorelei
  • Beta Ray Bill (impossible now in any way that makes conceptual sense)
  • Malekith (Chris Eccleston's DARK WORLD character was just a name) 
And that's just from 30 issues of Walt's run.

After ten years the films should have a lot more resonance, but the movies don't have room to scatter dragon's teeth. The Executioner scenes in RAGNAROK just barely worked on their own terms, but they would have been so much better with even one more film of context, let alone the way 20 years of comics history made the comparable scene so memorable in THOR.

Could it possibly be the movies are too small to contain the comics?

Edited by David Miller on 07 November 2017 at 8:57pm

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2017 at 12:14pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

David, yes.

How cool would it have been to see a more faithful adaptation of Walt Simonson's Surtur saga done as a TV series in the vein and the budget of "Game of Thrones"?

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2017 at 4:01pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Doom...DOom...DOOm...DOOM! I would have loved a slow
build to Surtur over the 3 movies,as it stands he ended
up a pretty throw away villain.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2017 at 5:17pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Lorelei appeared in Agents of Shield didn’t she?

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2017 at 9:51pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Don't forget we missed out on a fight between Thor and the Midgard Serpent too. 

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2017 at 10:21pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Don't forget we missed out on a fight between Thor and the Midgard Serpent too.

Maybe in a future Avengers movie?

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 November 2017 at 4:13am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Yes, Lorelei did appear on AOS.

Jim Petersman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 November 2017 at 4:00pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Finally caught this today. 

I've certainly been one to advocate for more humor in the movies - and I appreciated much of the humor this had to offer - but I do think some of the lines that Thor and Grandmaster delivered were not at all consistent with their characters. 

Personally, I would have kept the humor around them situational and not turned them into part time standup comedians. (I've never laughed so hard at anything in a movie as Banner hitting the bridge, though.)

With that said, THE fight scene is the most Marvel thing I've yet to see onscreen! It even had that classic Marvel adrenaline rush. It took me back to a lot of great comic book moments from when I was a kid. I will see the movie again in the theater for that scene, if nothing else.

As for the losses portrayed throughout the movie, they can easily be altered or undone with the infinity gems. It certainly feels like they've been laying the groundwork for a new reality throughout all of the films (and, realistically, we know these actors can't continue forever in their roles. What better way to recast than when you have a gauntlet capable of altering reality?)

I give this a solid B and really look forward to Black Panther in February!

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version