Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies
Topic: How To Make A Great FANTASTIC FOUR Movie (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2017 at 10:37pm | IP Logged | 1  

LINK!

Agree or disagree? What would be your suggestions?

Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2017 at 10:39am | IP Logged | 2  

I like his points: short origin recap, get the characters right (basically, they're a family of adventurers), acknowledge Doom exists, give some background,  but don't make him the big bad until the next film. Go BIG!

The 05 film biffed hard on Doom, Reed, and Sue, but the relationship between Ben and Johnny was spot on.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2017 at 11:52am | IP Logged | 3  

I agree with what was said. Anything I could add to that would be summed up in one word "Galactus".
Back to Top profile | search

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2017 at 1:57pm | IP Logged | 4  

I'd appreciate a slow build to Galactus.... great points in the video but as I've said often, a great way to start a FF movie without rehashing the origin would be a straight-up "Jurassic World" style retelling of the team's first encounter with the Mole Man and his underground monsters. (Extra points for successfully re-creating Kirby's designs.)

-C!

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2017 at 2:05pm | IP Logged | 5  

I don't totally disagree with what he says, but I have some issues with some of the things he comes up with.

His tour group thing to recap the origin and establish who the 4 are is good in the sense that it keeps things moving along swiftly in an elegant manner... but I think it runs the risk of building a barrier between the audience and the 4. The Fantastic Four may be celebrities, but this is a kind of peripheral thing. The kind of core appeal to all Marvel characters -- which he touches on at the beginning of the video -- is that they are somewhat ordinary joes who end up being able to do remarkable things. We can relate to them as normal people with everyday problems and emotions. Establishing them from the get-go as some kind of upper-strata superstars would undermine this, I think.

Next, he claims the origin is nothing to do with who they are and they are essentially the same people after as before. I don't think this is true for the Thing at all.

I think also the problem with ditching the origin is that you ditch all the stuff with Reed and Doom being at college together, which is something I'd see as essential. Doom is awesome. Part of that awesomeness is his ego and genius, but an equal part is his bitter hatred of Reed. Now, you could just tell us he hates Reed, but I think it has more weight if we experience the story of why he hates Reed. And that whole Doom origin is a GREAT story.

Pushing Doom to film 2 would be OK if Doom had been done well on-screen before, but he hasn't. We've never had anything like the real Doom on-screen, so why not try and show the real deal. If you have the best villain ever, why opt not to use him?

Big spectacle is nice to say, but did the previous films really fall down on lack of FX? It was the mishandling of the characters, far more than the FX that let it down. Just too generic, in the case of the Story versions. And just too kind of muddily odd and downbeat in the case of the Trank version.

Rich Marzullo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2017 at 2:06pm | IP Logged | 6  

Just give JB full autonomy and an unlimited budget to make the FF movie we all need/deserve.

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2017 at 2:41pm | IP Logged | 7  

I think also the problem with ditching the origin is that you ditch all the stuff with Reed and Doom being at college together, which is something I'd see as essential.

Well, it's not as if we got all of that in Fantastic Four #1...

I think you can introduce that idea when you introduce Doom (as was done in the comics).

I like the "hit the ground running" approach. If you spend an hour or so with Reed and Von Doom as college buddies and life stories building up to the launch...you've got yourself another boring FF movie.

Joseph Greathouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2017 at 4:20pm | IP Logged | 8  

I love the idea of a first movie as a period piece set in the 60s.  Have the origin, have really cool 60s swinging adventure. Keep it there.

If you wanted to tie the FF into the Marvel Cinematic Universe, end the second movie with the defeat of Galactus and the FF stuck in the Negative Zone where they don't age.  Thankfully, since they can have technology and such, Reed has set them up with a place to live and a connection to our universe, so they aren't a group out of time. They have been watching all of it when they finally escape and become a regular part of the world. 

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2017 at 5:46pm | IP Logged | 9  

I'd use Fantastic Four: The Musical as a template. That was great!

Okay, not really...

And I think the idea has been done so badly, plus the FF are not super identifiable characters any more, so there won't be another FF movie for a decade or so.

Ray Brady
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2017 at 6:20pm | IP Logged | 10  

The film that I think has best captured the look of what an FF movie should look like is Down With Love. Absolutely gorgeous mid-60s set design. It helps that copies of FF #4 can be seen hanging from a newsstand.

Greg Nyman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2017 at 7:07pm | IP Logged | 11  

The film that I think has best captured the look of what an FF movie should look like is Down With Love. Absolutely gorgeous mid-60s set design. It helps that copies of FF #4 can be seen hanging from a newsstand.
------------------------------------------------------------ -----------------------------
The director of Down With Love was set to direct Fantastic Four until Fox let him go since he was determined to do it as a 60s period piece, and they went with Tim Story instead. :\

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2017 at 12:41am | IP Logged | 12  

Here's my idea for making a great FF movie: Let John Byrne write it. A screenplay can't be that different from a comic script. 

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2017 at 12:55am | IP Logged | 13  

By the way, I agreed with all of this guy's points about how to make a good FF movie. And loved how much JB  art he used and the fact he referenced the trip to the Negative Zone storyline from JB"s run as an example of a great FF story filled with imagination, something the movies have been sorely lacking so far.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version