Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: DC Universe by John Byrne Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 December 2017 at 9:24pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Which he is complaining about because the plot has turned up in the main series and will be out before his series with Alan will be released. He is claiming that Tom Brevoot gave him the run around with what has actually happened and that because of this he is done with Marvel once the series has been finished.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 December 2017 at 9:54am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Well, of course. They have to give away the story and/or highlights before they actually appear, or how can all those comic blogs spoil it?

Right now, I would be so ready to support an idea similar to Image's if it included Messrs. Byrne, Starlin, Simonson, etc. - good comics free of unnecessary editorial interference and imposing oversight. A collection of classic and legendary talent who were just in the business of telling their stories and having fans buy them.

I realize that this is on the level of wishing for a baby elephant for my birthday, but it's nice to dream. And while I'm dreaming, might as well make it that DC or Marvel is smart enough to back this idea, and let these creators operate similar to Kurt Busiek's Astro City. I know that I am completely unaware of how his deal runs with DC... but as noted, this is just a dream...
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 December 2017 at 10:20am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

pssst! Drift!

Ed Aycock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 December 2017 at 11:44am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

It's a beautiful book, on beautiful paper and the beautiful artwork looks even more beautiful. (I am not in Thesaurus mode, did you expect Janet from "The Good Place?")   I appreciate that it's a lot of the one-shots and covers that have not been collected before. What a great book to have released during the holidays. I've been waiting for this since it was first announced. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 December 2017 at 1:43pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Still weird to see my stuff in hardcover, even tho it's been happening for decades now (>choke<). Harkens me back to those British "annuals" that were such a big part of my childhood -- tho those were in black & white.

Good times!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 December 2017 at 2:06pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I can't wait to get this. I won't be ordering before Xmas as Royal Mail have lost many of my parcels over time (at Xmas), but it'll be a nice January spend. I may even order it via a bookstore and collect it, myself.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 December 2017 at 4:49pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

It's amazing how much JB work both companies are reprinting, yet they treat him lousy when he chooses to work for them.  They should come begging on their knees every three months or so asking him to do something--anything--for them!  If not regular series then graphic novels, mini-series, specials--whatever!  Whatever continuity he wants.

Of course, look what Marvel just did to Jim Starlin, another legend who sells and was willing to work with them.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 December 2017 at 9:34pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Remember, my old stuff was better, and a reprint is, by definition, "old stuff". Matters not that everything in this volume is from deep into the time when my new work was being dismissed. That this "old stuff" was, in its day, crappy new stuff.

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 December 2017 at 3:03am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

JB -- do you think maybe all the crap about the "old stuff" and "new stuff" is mainly about changes in your inking style over the years? Because while I admit I've sometimes preferred older inking styles you've used to newer ones, your newest pencils -- in terms of perspective, anatomy, what have you -- are always better than what used to be "new."

Jason K Fulton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 December 2017 at 6:12am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

My favorite JB artwork is "anything that I looked at while I was 7 to 16 years old". The "new stuff" is great too, but nostalgia is a hell of a thing.

Tom French
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 December 2017 at 6:59am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I pre-ordered this book back in February when it was first announced (at the time, it was to include the World of Krypton/Smallville/Metropolis, which excited me cause I'd never read those).

Even though I'd seen some of this stuff before, it's nice to have it all in one place. I love these big collections. As someone who's gotten rid of most his comics, it's like jumping into a nostalgic pond.   

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 December 2017 at 9:26am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Adam S. - maybe you have a point. That first JB issue of Fantastic Four was inked by that scoundrel Bjorn Heyn! What a hack! ;)

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version