Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Wolverines Claws (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2017 at 10:39am | IP Logged | 1  

Wolverine's bionic housings...
------------------------------------------------------------ -------------------------
JR JR used to draw slightly raised sheaths during his run on X-MEN...

I liked the idea that admantium/steel/bionic "sheaths" would protrude on the outside of the wrists...and that his gloves basically just had slots/holes that would fit over them.

This image has a diagram that suggests that there were silicon seals for the exit points.

Again, I like that. He doesn't have to stab himself every time he pops his claws. I know, that's bad-ass and make him a tough guy. But, it's bad design, if it's a bionic implant (which they were, at one time).

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2017 at 10:40am | IP Logged | 2  

Edited by Brian Rhodes on 24 March 2017 at 10:40am

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2017 at 10:43am | IP Logged | 3  

" but I did get a kick out of this scene from an old issue of Ka-Zar..."

That was an issue of Hulk, actually. It took place in the Savage Land so the confusion is understandable. Wolverine tried to slash the Hulk's neck, and the Hulk instinctively reacted as if they were Adamantium claws.

Which is a good example to illustrate my point - bone claws should just shatter against the Hulk's near-impenetrable hide, no?
Back to Top profile | search

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2017 at 10:54am | IP Logged | 4  

I prefer this version instead :)

And now that I went and found this, I'm only just discovering that this old OHOTMU#15 entry did NOT indicate the use of super-strong springs for the "SNIKT" effect. In my mind I have been assuming that since I was a kid. They were trying to say that a group of muscles were responsible for pushing them out? Why would Wolverine have been born with muscles capable of doing that? (Again this was before the bone claw reveal, of course)

Edited by Vinny Valenti on 24 March 2017 at 11:04am

Blair Herd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2017 at 11:54am | IP Logged | 5  

I thought he cybernetically unsheathed and sheathed his claws?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 24 March 2017 at 11:59am | IP Logged | 6  

I drew springs, Vinny. Yet another reason not to trust OHOTMU!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 24 March 2017 at 12:27pm | IP Logged | 7  

In the past 25 years or so -- maybe more -- we have witnessed an incursion of "talent" who really hate what they're doing. They'd much rather be out in Hollywood working on movies.

This is not speculation on my part. Many have said as much in so many words -- tho not to be heard by a wide audience, of course.

So much of the foolishness that has infected the characters springs from this. Because they feel "trapped by the money" these people have no love for the characters, and the attitude is not so much "wouldn't it be cool if..." as it is "what's the most outrageous thing I can do?"

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2017 at 12:38pm | IP Logged | 8  

That was an issue of Hulk, actually.

Ahhh, yes, that's correct. The Kubert art confused me.

This issue, right?
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Christopher Frost
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2017 at 8:39pm | IP Logged | 9  

A quick note to mention that it was Larry Hama who introduced the bone claws into the comics. Claremont might have wanted to do it, but it was Hama that pulled the trigger, so to speak.

Phil Frances
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2017 at 9:13pm | IP Logged | 10  

So much of the foolishness that has infected the characters springs from this. Because they feel "trapped by the money" these people have no love for the characters, and the attitude is not so much "wouldn't it be cool if..." as it is "what's the most outrageous thing I can do?"

Speechless. For a number of years, I've not been able to work out why 'my' traditional fun, hokey, dramatic, overblown, majestic and overall downright original Marvel Universe disappeared. This explains it EXACTLY. RIGHT.

So simple when I now see it written down like that. Damn.

Edited by Phil Frances on 24 March 2017 at 9:55pm

Rod Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2017 at 2:48am | IP Logged | 11  

When dealing with Wolverine's claws in Weapon X, Windsor Smith was very careful to keep things ambiguous and had the scientists say that they were picking up unusual deposits of adamantium in Logan's forearms.

I wish more writers took a leaf out of his book and avoided explaining everything and in doing so sucking all the magic/fun out of it. All I needed to know as a kid was "Wolverine is a mutant with a healing factor and unbreakable adamantium claws" and that's pretty much all anyone needs to know.

Jonathan A. Dowdell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2017 at 5:40am | IP Logged | 12  

I remember opening issue 1 of the Claremont/Miller Wolverine and not understanding why Wolverine had knives coming out of the backs of his hands and not claws?

I always thought of Wolverine's claws as kind of a unique weapon that were sharp from any side. There is an X-Men (maybe 126?) where he actually cuts three, horizontal "cut-out" slots in a table when he reacts to something Scott tells him. As a kid I thought, "these aren't just cat claws, there is something extra special about them." Maybe it was the adamantium? 

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version