Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3
Topic: Tweaking Characters (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2017 at 3:12pm | IP Logged | 1  

I don't like Peter David and it's easy for me to ignore the whole "Grey Hulk" thing.  (It's important to note that the Hulk IS colored green in TWO panels of that first story and it's easy to dismiss the grey as "a trick of the light" or whatever.  Why ignore those two panels in favor of all the grey panels instead of vice versa?)  But I DO like Alan Davis and he did a time travel story that used the three-toed Hulk!  Argh!

Does anybody else who does a flashback or retelling of the Hulk's origin include these quirks?

That one of the reasons I like the movies so much--they TRY to cut to the core of the characters.  Can you imagine them doing a big budget HULK movie where he's grey and three-toed?  Nobody would okay that, and, if they did, the audience would be totally confused!  (I remember reading about the HULK TV show and how the producer wanted to change the Hulk's color to red because red was "the color of anger."  Stan Lee let them make a lot of changes, but he put his foot down on keeping the Hulk green!)
Back to Top profile | search

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2017 at 6:47pm | IP Logged | 2  

There's also the Cat who was quickly sent to comic book limbo and then returned as Tigra.

And Sgt. Fury became Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. and stories of both versions ran concurrently for a while.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2017 at 7:04pm | IP Logged | 3  

Does anybody else who does a flashback or retelling of the Hulk's origin include these quirks?
--------------------------------------------------
I don't think there's any harm in acknowledging the reality of what was.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2017 at 9:48pm | IP Logged | 4  

So, JB went with the grey but not the toe count?

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2017 at 9:52pm | IP Logged | 5  

I believe the first post-HULK # 1 appearance/acknowledgement of the gray Hulk was in a flashback panel during the Crossroads storyline, shortly before JB took over and specifically acknowledged/canonized it in dialogue. Up until that point, every single reprint and retelling of the origin story had the Hulk as being green from the start. As is his way, JB was playing continuity fit-it man, and making a "mistake"/changed premise into a legitimate part of the lore.

I personally have no problem with the Hulk "really" being gray, at first. My problem is that, ever since the David run, there seems to have been a Hulk for every color, personality, and mood. And, like, his entire supporting cast has subsequently become a bunch of Hulks, right?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2017 at 11:03pm | IP Logged | 6  

Rovert Cosgrove wrote:
... On Ditko redesigning Iron Man, are we sure it was Ditko?...

I can't recall exactly where it was mentioned,  likely in a letters page in "Tales of Suspense," but I have seen confirmation that the redesign was by Steve Ditko.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version