Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum
Topic: Martin Lawrence Greim, R.I.P. (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2017 at 6:29am | IP Logged | 1  

If I may, I want to note the passing yesterday of my best friend of the past fifty years, Martin Greim.  Marty was 74.  He published a well-regarded, early comics fanzine, Comic Crusader, which featured articles on comics and interviews with comics professionals, including Jack and Otto Binder, Dick Sprang, and Russ Manning, as well as his own character creation, "David Manning, Defender."  The magazine featured a number of Ditko's Mr. A strips, and sported artwork by prominent fan artists of the day, including Don Newton, John Fantucchio, and John Adkins Richardson.  Covers were often by professionals such as Jim Steranko and Al Williamson.  His publishing swan song was a one-shot, Comic Crusader Storybook, which featured a last bow for many of the famous fan heroes, usually by the original artist.  These included Ronn Foss's The Eclipse, Howard Keltner's Dr. Weird, and Richard "Grass" Green's Xal-Kor the Human Cat, in new stories.  Each story was accompanied by a pin-up by a professional artist, e.g., Frank Thorne drew the Eclipse, Tom Sutton Dr. Weird--memory fails me on Xal-Kor.  Cover was by Dick Giordano.

Marty, Stan Darcy, and I ran the first Boston Comicon, Newcon, back in 1972, and later, with Don Phelps, Marty ran several more such conventions.  Among the guests were Bob Clampett, John Stanley, Carl Barks, Gil Kane, Jim Steranko, John Buscema, Bernie Krigstein, Wally Wood, and Harvey Kurtzman.

Marty is perhaps best known today for his character Thunderbunny, published first by Charlton, then by Apple Comics, and finally by Archie Comics, for which he also briefly wrote the Shield, the Fly, and Mighty Crusaders.

Marty amassed a legendary collection of original art, eventually sold off to fund first his divorce, and second, his post-stroke move to Surprise, Arizona, where he bought a house he shared with his daughter Jolene's family, until he recently moved to a nursing home.  I don't think there is a major comic book artist whose work he did not own.  At one time he had the definitive Carl Barks Uncle Scrooge portrait, "McDuck of Duckburg," and the famous dueling scene Sunday of Ming and Flash Gordon by Alex Raymond.  He also owned the double-page meeting of Superman meeting Spider-man from the first DC Marvel collaboration.  I believe it's now owned by a member of this forum.

Over the years I accompanied Marty on visits to the homes of many fans and the homes and /or studios of many professionals, including Lee Falk, Fred Fredericks, Jack and Otto Binder, Tom Sutton, Joe Kubert, Steve Ditko and others.  But most of all he was my friend, an usher at my wedding whose eldest daughter is my goddaughter.  I shall miss him.  Rest in peace, my old friend.

Edited by Robert Cosgrove on 16 April 2017 at 9:59am
Back to Top profile | search

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2017 at 8:28am | IP Logged | 2  

RIP 
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 April 2017 at 8:59am | IP Logged | 3  

Very saddened to read of this.

Ian Penman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2017 at 2:24pm | IP Logged | 4  

And me.

Colin Ian Campbell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2017 at 3:10pm | IP Logged | 5  

RIP.  The Xal-Kor illustration mentioned above was by Mike Machlan, Don Newton and Bill Wilson.  JB drew a White Raven illustration in that book.

John Mariani
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2017 at 3:24pm | IP Logged | 6  

R.I.P.

Edited by John Mariani on 16 April 2017 at 3:24pm

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2017 at 5:11pm | IP Logged | 7  

Saddened to learn of this. I really enjoyed Thunderbunny
and the stories he did for the Red Circle heroes.

RIP. Sincere condolences to his family and friends.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2017 at 8:51am | IP Logged | 8  

RIP

Robert Cosgrove
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2017 at 10:14am | IP Logged | 9  

Colin, thank you, the Mike Machlan Xal-Kor is ringing a bell, and thanks for mentioning the JB rendering of Al Bradford's White Raven character; had I remembered that, I certainly would have made a point to mention it on this forum.  My copy of the storybook is buried somewhere in my collection--have to dig it out and refresh my memory.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2017 at 11:58am | IP Logged | 10  

RIP
Back to Top profile | search | www

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version