Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 12 Next >>
Topic: Marvel Outdoing Themselves Again (Spoilers) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2017 at 1:28pm | IP Logged | 1  

Or one of them is Ultimate Cap.

Ultimate Reed Richards is running around as a bad guy in the main universe so it's not unprecedented. 
Back to Top profile | search

Jeremy Simington
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2017 at 2:11pm | IP Logged | 2  

"Ultimate Reed Richards is running around as a bad guy in the main universe "

I'm old enough to remember when the bad guy version of Reed Richards was Dr. Doom. Too bad Stan and Jack were so bereft of imagination and talent that they created perhaps the greatest comic book villain of all time when they could have just invented Evil Reed From Another an Alternate Earth.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2017 at 3:07pm | IP Logged | 3  

Ultimate Wolverine, aka Jimmy Hudson, is also running around in the Marvel Universe.

Jason Larouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2017 at 3:45pm | IP Logged | 4  

It's always a good time to mention that about ten years ago Joe Quesada said that if Marvel ever did a crossover between the main universe and the ultimate universe that they would officially be out of ideas. 

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2017 at 7:19pm | IP Logged | 5  

" when they could have just invented Evil Reed From Another an Alternate Earth."

They did that back in the early 70s, with "The Brute" of the High Evolutionary's Counter Earth. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2017 at 8:08pm | IP Logged | 6  

Roy Thomas and Mike Friedrich along with artists Gil Kane and Bob Brown are credited with the creation of the Brute, not Stan and Jack.

John Cole
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2017 at 11:12pm | IP Logged | 7  

Forty years ago Marval had What If? to tell these outrageous stories in one and done issues now they seemt to be trying to milk months if not years out of these "imaginary" stories.

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 May 2017 at 12:49am | IP Logged | 8  

Sure Brian, but my point was alt-evil Reed Richards from over yonder there is a musty oldy moldy chestnut rather than some rut particular to the Ultimate imprint/thing/whatever.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 May 2017 at 3:57am | IP Logged | 9  

Because Reed Richards makes SO MUCH BETTER of a villain than a new villain. I'm sure that Stan and Jack found that the case... warp and distort an existing character instead of creating a BRAND NEW VILLAIN.

Yes, sometimes that didn't work, but sometimes it really did. Or is Marvel SO insular these days that they don't dare create new villains?

Evil Reed Richards... two things that just don't go together. Like President Trump.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 May 2017 at 7:54am | IP Logged | 10  

So...... always-evil Cap is the equivalent of Evil Kirk in a Star Trek transporter accident, huh?

-C!

Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 May 2017 at 9:08am | IP Logged | 11  

As far as Marvel goes, I have been an outsider looking in for most of this century. And what I see from that position is a bunch of "creators" who seem able to do nothing more that a kind of repeated incestuous rehash. They seem to be people who do not care about the characters, or their history, and want only to create big, splashy "events" that will grab the attention of Civilians (who don't know any better) and piss off fans (who will buy them anyway).

Is this how it really is? I don't know. Like I said, I am an outsider looking in. But from that position I see nothing at all of the Marvel I used to know -- which, it can be said, was gone even before I left.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 May 2017 at 3:39pm | IP Logged | 12  

Agreed, Emery. I believe there may have been an evil Reed or two in Mark Waid's over-indulgent multiverse storylines as well. Can't say for sure as I've only read a couple of those issues and felt no need to go back for more.

As for the current state of Marvel, there is no sense of responsibility or stewardship. They do not believe in the value of the characters in any sense except monetarily and will happily strip-mine them for any perceived profit that may lie under the surface. They are stunt-generating dollar-bill-presses and not one thing more to the current hierarchy. If it looked profitable to have Aunt May strung up on-panel and eaten alive by cannibals, Marvel would not hesitate. 

And right now, if this is being read by anyone there, they're smiling happily, because that sort of "Anything goes; OMG, what's next?" is exactly the perception they're trying to create in the world. As a corporate entity, Marvel would like to be seen as a Wild N' Crazy, Used-Car-Sellin' John Wayne Gacy. "Youuuuuu Don' Know Whut Might Happin Next, Do Ya, Pardner??"

And I don't. I also no longer care. Kill, hack, and slash away.

<< Prev Page of 12 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version