Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 12 Next >>
Topic: Marvel Outdoing Themselves Again (Spoilers) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2017 at 5:33pm | IP Logged | 1  

It's the kind of stunt that a failing comics company would resort to, desperate to bring attention to a character nobody cares about anymore. But most movie watchers across the world know and enjoy Captain America. Strange. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2017 at 6:40pm | IP Logged | 2  

The stuff they are putting out is essentially fan fiction.  It has all the hallmarks/tropes of fanfic, including emphasis on shock value, anal continuity wankage, and people behaving wildly out of character.  And the only people that read it are hardcore fans.  It's too bad Marvel has reduced itself to a small-scale fan-fic operation, but I try not to get too upset about it.  I still have all my old comics, the real stuff.
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2017 at 6:54pm | IP Logged | 3  

Everyone should protest with their dollars. If nobody
buys it, the message will be sent. I refuse to buy
another book from the house of bad ideas until I get a
version of Captain America that I love.

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2017 at 6:55pm | IP Logged | 4  

This plotline is a kick in the stomach to me. With every installment it just gets worse and the hole Marvel is putting Steve Rogers in gets deeper. I don't know how the character can recover from this. Murder, betrayal. lies and deceit from Captain America.  Not sure what Marvel was thinking when this was given the green light. 

Phillip L Lightfoot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2017 at 7:03pm | IP Logged | 5  

Just. Don't. Buy. It. (The only way to hurt these fuckers is with your $$$. Nothing else matters.)

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2017 at 7:20pm | IP Logged | 6  

I don't know how the character can recover from this. Murder, betrayal. lies and deceit from Captain America.  
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
He can recover the same way he got into this. The Cosmic Cube Girl can reset things again.

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2017 at 7:35pm | IP Logged | 7  

He can recover the same way he got into this. The Cosmic Cube Girl can reset things again.
Of course, but the after taste will still be there. 

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2017 at 7:41pm | IP Logged | 8  

Phillip, did you actually think any of us WERE going to buy it?

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2017 at 7:48pm | IP Logged | 9  

Of course, but the after taste will still be there. 
~~~~~~~~~```````````
This is going to end up being a disaster of the Clone Saga magnitude.

As I've gotten older I find that I get upset more when this sort of thing happens. Than I use to when I was younger. It occurred to me today that getting unreasonably upset if a waste of time. The creators involved aren't creating these stories with the intention of pissing me off. In fact it just the opposite. They are doing it in an attempt to entertain me. 
Thinking about it like that. I see that it's just plain silly for me to get upset about it. Eventually Cap will return to status quo.  

It's unfortunate that i'll have to be disappointed until that happens.  So i'm not going to get too worked up about it anymore. Hopefully next time. I'll enjoy what comes next. Until than I'll pass on what's going on.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 April 2017 at 1:55am | IP Logged | 10  

It's literally been ten years since the status quo Cap left us.  It was in 2007 that he was assassinated during Marvel's Civil War, then Bucky/Winter Soldier was "Cap" for three years, then Steve got "time-resurrected" (I still don't understand that story), but Cap still didn't "feel" right and Brubaker (who had been running out of steam anyhow) left and Cap got sent to another dimension for a year (or ten years, from his point of view) in a sci fi story that could have been anybody but Cap, then the Super-Soldier serum was deactivated and he got old and frail for another few years, and Sam/Falcon took over as somebody called Cap (though "American Eagle" or something would have made more sense)--and now he's been Hydra for a year and a half.

When exactly will the status quo Cap return?  They could keep this kind of stuff going for another ten years--that's literally a generation.

Edited by Eric Jansen on 21 April 2017 at 1:56am

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 April 2017 at 3:49am | IP Logged | 11  

Eventually Cap will return to status quo.

===================

Indeed, the real Steve Rogers will be back. Right before he gets sex reassignment surgery. 

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 April 2017 at 4:10am | IP Logged | 12  

It sounds as if this has been stolen- er, homaged from recent storylines in "DC's Legends of Tomorrow" and "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.*" Once again, the House of Idea strikes - "How far from reality can we take our storylines?"

This desperation smacks of a push to get more buyer dollars... which means that the "mainline" buyers are going to be pushed aside again.

*Stands for Supreme Headquarters International Espionage Law-enforcement Division.

<< Prev Page of 12 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version