Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2017 at 8:16pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Thanks, Tim!
Back to Top profile | search

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2017 at 9:27pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Good to see Kinberg being bumped up directorial duties after his stellar work producing and writing the 2015 Fantastic Four movie.

Caveat to this comment: LINK

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 30 August 2017 at 6:51am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

There are ways to "ground" the Dark Pheonix Saga without ripping all its guts out. Problem, tho, is I am not aware of the Phoenix Entity having been properly defined in the FoX-Men version. As noted in the article, when they tried to do it in LAST STAND they made Jean's becoming Dark Phoenix the result of a "character flaw."

Given what we have seen, especially since the "reboot" of DAYS OF FUTURE PAST, there's a helluva lot of groundwork to be laid, unless they choose to go the same route again, ie, a mental breakdown for Jean.

If the backstory on the Dark Phoenix transformation had been set up -- Mastermind, et al -- it would be easy enough to take the story along the same path Chris and I followed, but just now have Dark Phoenix blast off into space. Have her destroy a major city, instead of a star/planet. Don't even need to go to the Moon.

Of course, the mention of Genosha tells me this will have little to do with the story Chris and I told, and a whole lot to do with all the stuff Chris folded into the mix later.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 August 2017 at 7:04am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

JB, did Chris Claremont explain to you when you first began on X-MEN why he changed Marvel Girl to Phoenix and what his plan, if any, was for her character?

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 30 August 2017 at 7:57am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

JB, did Chris Claremont explain to you when you first began on X-MEN why he changed Marvel Girl to Phoenix and what his plan, if any, was for her character?

Over the span of her published career, Jean had gotten weaker and weaker. In early issues she was able to lift half a dozen teenage girls who were mobbing Warren. Not long after, we were being told she could lift no more than her own weight. Once Xavier "shared" his power with her, she became primarily a telepath.

Chris and Dave (Cockrum) wanted to boost her powers to something more respectable, and so decided to give her a bath in Cosmic Rays (TAC TAC TAC TAC TAC) to do the job.

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 August 2017 at 2:12pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Is Jackman slated to appear as Wolverine again or had he said that Logan was his last time in the role; I've lost track. If he does bow out it will be interesting to see if they recast the role or not - given how it was left in the last film, I guess he could be left out - which may be considered a commercial gamble - and bring him back with a new actor. You never know, they might do something crazy like cast a Canadian ... 

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 August 2017 at 6:12pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I don't expect this to be very faithful or good, but on the plus side I like the fact that one of my favorite comic book creators ever should get a big paycheck from it. But like a few folks have already said, I don't see how could be any more poorly done than X-Men United did it. Then again, never say never.

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 August 2017 at 7:26pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Is Jackman slated to appear as Wolverine again or had he said that Logan was his last time in the role;

He has said that Logan was definitely his last go at Wolverine. Time will tell. And money talks.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 August 2017 at 7:28pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I think this will be Dark Phoenix in name only. I think it'll be less true to comics than even Days of Future Past.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 31 August 2017 at 6:15am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

A faithful adaptation would require more than three years of story (X-MEN 100 thru 138) to be compressed into about two hours of screen time.

What are the odds?

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 31 August 2017 at 6:20am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I like the fact that one of my favorite comic book creators ever should get a big paycheck from it.

It will be interesting to see what happens. As I have noted, Marvel and DC seem to use entirely different metrics for calculating these things. DC sent me a Very Large Check for my "contributions" to BATMANvSUPERMAN, while Marvel sent me a much smaller check for DAYS OF FUTURE PAST.

The former had some small flashes of my work in it, while the latter (even changed as it was) would not have existed at all without me.

We shall see!*

* Assuming we're not wandering in the atomic wasteland by then.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2017 at 7:18am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

QUOTE:
A faithful adaptation would require more than three years of story (X-MEN 100 thru 138) to be compressed into about two hours of screen time.

They made the little tiny "Hobbit" short story into a ridiculously sprawling three-movie epic -- so it's a shame the full Phoenix tale couldn't be a trilogy.

But, then again, if that HOBBIT cinematic monstrosity is the standard for an adaptation... a thousand times no

Edited by Michael Penn on 31 August 2017 at 7:18am

<< Prev Page of 18 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version