Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7
Topic: Confederate Momuments Removed in New Orleans (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 May 2017 at 8:44am | IP Logged | 1  

As someone who spent slightly less than the first half of his life in countries with Parliaments, there is very little about the American system that makes sense to me.

As Eric notes, in this modern world Primaries don't really work. Just another way to waste the taxpayer's money.

Back to Top profile | search

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 May 2017 at 9:56am | IP Logged | 2  

There's a worthwhile summation of how Arlington National Cemetery came to be here

In short:
- the property was large and suitable for a cemetery (safe from flooding, nice view of the District)
- Robert E. Lee had given up his commission and thrown in his lot with traitors, so this was seen as payback
- the tax thing was true, the family had paid no taxes on the property, but it could have been rectified; however, the Union was in no mood to accommodate a rebel military leader who'd already been shown the mercy of not being hanged.

We drive past Arlington National Cemetery quite often. It IS an upraised middle finger to the Confederacy... and it's going nowhere.

Edited by Andrew Bitner on 29 May 2017 at 9:59am

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 May 2017 at 10:02am | IP Logged | 3  

As for the subject of this post, it's time to take these monuments down. Most of them were not raised in the immediate aftermath of the Civil War; quite a few were raised in the Jim Crow era, when whites wanted to remind former slaves who really ran things.

Put these statues and flags and so forth into a museum. We don't want to erase this history, but we don't want to celebrate it by giving it room in public spaces either.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 May 2017 at 11:27am | IP Logged | 4  

Put these statues and flags and so forth into a museum. We don't want to erase this history, but we don't want to celebrate it by giving it room in public spaces either.

••

Nuff said!

Robert Walter Auberger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 May 2017 at 11:40am | IP Logged | 5  

Michael Roberts:

"When you change your address, you have to re-register to vote. On the 
voter registration form, you state your party preference."

Mike Norris:

"It's not public. Just a form you fill out. "

Wow. I think that is unheard of here in Austria and Europe. Not that it would really matter much. You can still vote anyway you want, but I think it's strange that the government would like to know your political peferences.

Does it matter to you guys in the US? Does anybody get strange looks if he/she checks the wrong box in a specific state? Is it a leftover of times past?
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 May 2017 at 11:54am | IP Logged | 6  

Does it matter to you guys in the US? Does anybody get strange looks if he/she checks the wrong box in a specific state? Is it a leftover of times past?
Strange looks from who? Its a mail in form. Who's going to see it? A data entry person at the Register's office? Whom, most likely will never see you? 

Though an old girl friend of mine did accidentally check the box for the "American Independent Party", a far right party. She was mortified when she discovered the error. She had meant to chose independent. Myself and others only knew about it, because she told us. 

I've lived in Republican majority areas for 20 years. Never got any strange looks when voting in person as a Democrat. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robert Walter Auberger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 May 2017 at 11:59am | IP Logged | 7  

Mike Norris:
"Strange looks from who? Its a mail in form. Who's going to see it? A data entry person at the Register's office? Whom, most likely will never see you?"

I didn't know that it's a mail thing. Here in Austria if you change adress you have to show up in person with some ID.   
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 7
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version