Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek
Topic: How Times Change (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 26 April 2017 at 6:28am | IP Logged | 1  

It's kinda funny, to me, to think that I asked Jeff to create this STAR TREK folder specifically so I could avoid looking at it. Everything then was Abrams, Abrams, Abrams, and I didn't want to even THINK about it.

But times change, and the "real" STAR TREK has escaped from the Abrams dungeon.

So, thank you CBS/Paramount!

Back to Top profile | search

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2017 at 5:17pm | IP Logged | 2  

I was so overjoyed before the most recent movie when JJ Trek was included as a footnote to the rest of Trek called 'The Kelvin Timeline' in the Okudas' recent stuff.

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2017 at 7:55am | IP Logged | 3  

I hope this doesn't sound childish (but it probably does) but for some time now I have hoped that the Abrams verse/Kelvin verse would eventually end up being canceled and discontinued.
Some potential talk that it may be time now for Star Trek the Next Generation to be rebooted reminds me that people in general never learn a thing.

I understand that the old Star Trek is now in the past and that Star Trek will have to adapt to go with the times but I find the Kelvin verse a wrong road taken and a dead end.

People may say that Star Trek fans want Star Trek to remain the same, constantly refer to its lengthy continuity but in my opinion the Kelvin verse is the best example of that. "Hey remember this character/species/plot device from that episode or movie? Well it is back but now with a twist."

New Star Trek? Fine.
You want Kirk and Spock or Picard? There is the Original Series, The Next Generation, and loads of comics, books, and video games.

Aleksandar Petrovic
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2017 at 9:33am | IP Logged | 4  

I like J. J. Abrams' movies, but it should've been a new Star Trek era (post-TNG) and a brand new crew.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2017 at 3:00am | IP Logged | 5  

I had a pretty heated debate yesterday regarding Kirk and Picard - started when my neighbour stated that Picard was more cerebral.

'You're joking' said I and we were off. i used Balance of Terror as one example, but he was in the, 'Yes, but that's an example, I'm talking about over all. Kirk would more often use firepower and not take sounding'

Nope, Kirk would always take soundings but then make his decision and own it. but Kirk was capable of taking a unilateral decision if required due to time or some other pressure. I cited the Picard/time displacement ship 'Suggestions' scene once again.

in the end  I also tried to explain that Kirk was in a time of cold war whereas Picard was in a time where the Klingons were serving on a starship. That kind of was a deciding factor in the end.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2017 at 10:48am | IP Logged | 6  

People seem to think Kirk was somehow less cerebral because he got into fistfights and snared a lot of babes.

These are not mutually-exclusive traits!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Mariani
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2017 at 7:35am | IP Logged | 7  

I'm sorry if I am missing something obvious, JB, but in what sense has 'the "real" STAR TREK has escaped from the Abrams dungeon.'?

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 02 May 2017 at 8:07am | IP Logged | 8  

For a while, the official position was that only the Abrams stuff could be used as the basis for new stories. That position changed.

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2017 at 8:36am | IP Logged | 9  

For a while, the official position was that only the Abrams stuff could be used as the basis for new stories. That position changed.

You mean that only Abrams related material could be used in movies and on television right?

I do know that Abrams or his company tries to make CBS stop continuing the older series in DVD pack releases and perhaps streaming format as it was felt that it would confuse the audience.

The company also tried to control every regarding tie in media such as books and comics. These had to be approved through Bad Robot and fit certain guidelines.

This is one of the reasons why I did not like Abrams' Star Trek, he wanted to control the franchise completely.

John Mariani
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2017 at 9:34am | IP Logged | 10  

JB, thanks for the explanation!

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 02 May 2017 at 9:52am | IP Logged | 11  

You mean that only Abrams related material could be used in movies and on television right?

Read what I wrote. I was quite clear.

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 May 2017 at 12:01am | IP Logged | 12  

Read what I wrote. I was quite clear.

No serious, I thought you also meant that Abrams/Bad Robot wanted to get rid of everything related to the non Abrams Star Trek.

The number of IDW publications based on the franchise IPs before Abrams Trek, TOS and TNG seriously reduced when the comic series on the new franchise started (New Visions being the exception).

But because Pocket Books also continued with books based on the first five series and related spin offs I had the idea that Abrams/Bad Robot really didn't care about the older Star Trek, as long as no new series or movies were made in the old continuity and that Bad Robot controlled all the new spin off media based on the Kelvin verse.

So did Bad Robot really seek to end everything based on Roddenberry Trek and related continuations such as TNG, DSN, etc?

That is honestly new for me.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version