Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3
Topic: The issues with current sales (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 May 2017 at 6:06pm | IP Logged | 1  

What amazes me looking at sales number of Captain America from 10 years ago vs today was how  long the tail is on stuff. In march on 6 titles were 90,000 copies or mroe. Just 10 years ago there were 14. Now there are a ton of comics in the 30K-60K range. Of that's nothing compared to 208K of Amazing Spider Man 401 which was #20 comic in March of 1995.

888 print products offered in March of this year. 36000 line items in the Diamond Excel order from. It can be pretty overwhelming. No wonder peoples eyes glaze over.. 

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Skelley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2017 at 4:50pm | IP Logged | 2  

John Byrne wrote:
In fact, comic publishers DID make a deliberate choice to remove themselves from traditional venues. They viewed the DSM as more profitable, and I decried the decision at the time. Shrinking shelf space was only part of the consideration.

I've read a few times recently from people that were around and working in comics at the time, that there were a lot of issues with comics not selling like most magazines in places like grocery stores and the local convenient stores. This caused the grocery stores to not really seem that interested in keeping comics on their shelves as they weren't as profitable as say Cosmo was.

As you've mentioned a few times, there seems to be a point where the big two comic publishers walked away from what at the time was the normal distro options for magazines and comics and went to the DSM. Do you know if they ever tried to go back? I get that the normal distro options were headaches with returns and ordering (from what I've read) and the DSM being a sale and no returns was simpler. I just can't help but feel as many people decry the DSM that one of them would have attempted to go back to normal methods as well as the DSM.

I've also read that one of the reasons the big two were so luke warm on the idea of digital sales was the concern that they'd lose the support of the local comic shops that they now need to survive.. well, needed before they were bought by massive companies that'll strip mine those IPs for all they can get. Did you ever hear of any concern going back to the older normal distro ways would cause that level of heartburn with the DSM?
Back to Top profile | search

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version