Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: Where do we go from here ? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2017 at 12:03pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

With the next Nutrek film not a sure thing. I'm wondering where do we go from here? Will Paramount continue with the Kelvin timeline? Or will they eventually get back to the real timeline? Admittedly I am prejudice towards the Abramsverse. Loathe can't even begin to describe how I feel about it.  So I'm hoping that things will be set right again. I am also wondering how much of an influence Discovery would have on Paramount's decision making. If the series proves to be a success. Will that convince the studio heads to get back to that sort of storytelling.

I am of course making the assumption that Discovery will follow the same format as the Trek series of the past. 

Where does it go from here? Where do you want it to go from here?

Edited by Anthony J Lombardi on 29 April 2017 at 12:04pm
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 29 April 2017 at 12:08pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I'd love to see a series set at the same time as TOS, or even a decade earlier -- only for real this time. Modern production values, even allowing incorporation of what we've learned since 1964. But unapologetically in the same "universe" as STAR TREK. Just a different ship, a different crew.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2017 at 12:47pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I'd sign up for that in a second.

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2017 at 1:09pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I honestly have no idea where Star Trek should go next.
I have been thinking about this question for a long time as well as having discussed with other people about it.

One of my suggestions was a post TNG/DSN series that would take inspiration from the New Frontier books but would instead use a post war Cardassia where a Starfleet crew is on a humanitarian mission, trying to assist with rebuilding while making sure the sector does not collapse into lots of little wars.

Other ideas. Return to the Delta Quadrant? A Gamma Quadrant series? The first ship to the Andromeda Galaxy?
I would really like Trek avoid doing a Mirror Universe series (I bet a lot of people want that because it would be more "edgier and gritty"), a time travel Trek series, a dimension/reality hopping Trek series, or a Trek series about outcast, ex criminals, and other types that live of the grid (honestly we don't need Star Trek Firefly)
A Star Trek series set just after the founding of the modern Starfleet? (not that organization from Enterprise). Probably running into the risk of having the same problems as Enterprise.

I know its characters and stories that make a series and not the setting but I really can not come up with an interesting premise that feels different and new.

Edited by Marten van Wier on 29 April 2017 at 1:10pm

Warren Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2017 at 7:59pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

In the new movies I actually came to appreciate the thing I thought I'd like least: different actors playing the original crew. I didn't like the stories (and hated "Into Darkness"), but the actors were starting to grow on me. Chris Pine offered a more subdued version of Kirk, and I wanted to see more of Carl Urban as McCoy.It's kind of sad to think of the characters fading into obscurity. On the other hand, the old shows,movies and books are still available to us and new creators could really muck them up.
I was only mildly interested in "Next Generation" when it began because it didn't feature the original crew, but the new characters grew on me. Perhaps that could happen again.
I vote for a new show, rather than a new series of movies, though. Then there's more freedom to be creative and less pressure to imitate the successes of the previous films.

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2017 at 9:00pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I'd really dig a series set a good century after TNG– in an era where technology has advanced, but TOS bright colors and simplicity are back in vogue. 

Things come back into fashion all the time in the real world. Why wouldn't this be the case in a world where people can step into a holodeck and experience the past exactly as it was?

Shoot, look at the U.S. and Russia right now. No reason the Federation / Klingon relations couldn't shift back into a state of cold war like in Kirk's day.

(I mostly recommend this because it doesn't force you to erase anything, create alternate timelines, or recast older roles with new actors. Everything still "counts" in the original timeline.)

Edited by Richard Stevens on 29 April 2017 at 9:02pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2017 at 9:02pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I'd love to see a series set at the same time as TOS, or even a decade earlier -- only for real this time. Modern production values, even allowing incorporation of what we've learned since 1964. But unapologetically in the same "universe" as STAR TREK. Just a different ship, a different crew.
+++++++

Ditto.

But, as I recently noted in the DISCOVERY thread, it's just not gonna happen. Too much time has passed for TV producers to feel beholden to a show from the 60s. As far along as 2005, each of the spin-off shows went to great pains to reproduce the look and feel of TOS for their various homage episodes. Of course, the creators who did this were largely longtime fans of TOS. But, a few years later, Abrams came along, reinvented the wheel, and set a precedent for "reimagining" TOS in an officially-sanctioned way. And DISCOVERY is now poised to do more of the same. 

The door has been opened for "different interpretations" and "modern takes", We live in a remix culture now, where creators pick and choose ideas as if they're in a buffet line. Ideas and characters which were once regarded as inviolable canon are now tossed away and/or completely altered without a moment's thought. 

The chances of anything which resembles TOS (visually, at least) ever again appearing in an official, live-action production seem slim-to-nil, at this point.

Back to Top profile | search | email

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2017 at 9:03pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

It took decades, but if there's nothing else positive to say about The Force Awakens, it sure did look back to 1977 in a lot of ways.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2017 at 11:59pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

No reason the Federation / Klingon relations couldn't shift back into a state of cold war like in Kirk's day.

Out of curiosity, is it required that there is tension between the Federation and the Klingon Empire again?

I rather see Star Trek move on and introduce some new opposing civilizations/species with a culture/mentality/philosophy that clashes with that of the Federation.

The Klingons were Kirk's opposites.

Aleksandar Petrovic
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2017 at 12:47am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I would love to see a Star Trek anthology series.

By now the universe has grown so much that it can be a star of the show on its own, without the need for any specific spaceship or crew.

An anthology series as a pure procedural show with self-contained hour-long episodes could offer infinite possibilities. Each time we see another ship, another crew, and another quagmire. You could have stories (episodes) set in any era or timeline, Romulan or Borg-only stories (episodes) without any humans around, you could revisit old James T. Kirk or Jean-Luc Packard played by the original actors from time to time, have everyone die at the end of something, etc. etc. etc.

The only thing that could kill it would be good old overproduction, so I would keep it tight, maximum 6 episodes per year (or should I say, per season). 

Other than that, it could run forever.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2017 at 10:53am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

It took decades, but if there's nothing else positive to say about The Force Awakens, it sure did look back to 1977 in a lot of ways.
++++++++++

The irony there is that we live in a time where it's possible to very accurately and lovingly recreate sets/props/costumes (and even people!) from long-ago productions...but all too often for exercises in pure fanservice, or stories which fail to understand what the original stories and characters were all about.

We may reach a point where they could produce "new" TOS episodes with perfect CGI recreations of Shatner and company...but would such episodes be well-written? Would the writers "get" TOS? Or, would it be crap that just happens to look great?

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 30 April 2017 at 11:22am

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 30 April 2017 at 11:05am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

If I haven't said this already -- and even if I have, my genius demands repetition! -- DISCOVERY reminds me of nothing so much as the kind of fan-think that slowly and inexorably took over comics. Thinking that means every idea that has ever been mentioned gets dug up and fleshed out.

Thus, the grotesque (and embarrassing) "star destoyer" mash up (ugh!) of the Enterprise finds its way to the screen at last. And looks no better now than it ever did. The 23rd Century Domino's delivery truck.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2017 at 11:26am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Thus, the grotesque (and embarrassing) "star destoyer" mash up (ugh!) of the Enterprise finds its way to the screen at last. And looks no better now than it ever did. The 23rd Century Domino's delivery truck.
++++++++

There's a reason why that design was rejected, and Roddenberry turned back to Matt Jefferies to redesign the Enterprise in a more familiar configuration.

STAR WARS has also fallen into the trap of digging up and appropriating unused and rejected ideas from the original films. Instead of, y'know, trying to design something new, but which still fits within the established design aesthetic.

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2017 at 2:05pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

And does anybody really want to know what Harry Mudd was doing in his youth?

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2017 at 3:09pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Weird thing is, Rainn Wilson is far older than Roger C. Carmel was when he played Mudd!

Aleksandar Petrovic
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 May 2017 at 10:20am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Greg Kirkman: 

"We may reach a point where they could produce "new" TOS episodes with perfect CGI recreations of Shatner and company...but would such episodes be well-written? Would the writers "get" TOS? Or, would it be crap that just happens to look great?"

By that time, it will be entirely possible for a computer to generate brand new character dialogue that is spot-on, purely based on what came before. I saw a tech demo of John Lennon 1980 chatbot on BBC Future. They fed the database with his every interview they could find (in print, on camera, radio), and the results were both fascinating and unsettling. The live responses to questions were delivered in John Lennon's voice too.       

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 May 2017 at 2:46pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

"We may reach a point where they could produce "new" TOS episodes with perfect CGI recreations of Shatner and company...but would such episodes be well-written? Would the writers "get" TOS? Or, would it be crap that just happens to look great?"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
If the original cast are still alive and are cool with it. I'd like a cgi version of the crew as long as it was a short term thing. Mini series or one season at the most.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 May 2017 at 5:41pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

My pitch: set just after the end of the original 5-year mission. I think setting it before TOS creates constraints that the writers will not be able to live by. Then at least things can look visually consistent with TOS but if they introduce new tech, aliens, ideas, it still fits.

One of Starfleet's finest ships, on the edge of charted space, is exposed to a  mystery contamination that leaves the captain and crew unhinged. They head off into the uncharted depths.

Another crew is charged with hunting them down and rectifying the disruption they cause. They're given a fast ship that should be capable of catching the rogue crew (but they're slowed down by fixing messes each episode so that they're always narrowly out of reach).That's it.

Open-ended enough to have them discover whatever you want each episode but all contained and driven by a simple-overarching plot.

The two captains finally go head to head at the end of the first season. Rogue captain escapes if you want the show to continue. 

Joe Boster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 May 2017 at 6:17pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

My pitch: Let it die. We know it can't/won't be done in a way that respects the roots of the show. Let it sit on a shelf for 15 years and reboot it again.CBS hates sci-fi anyway. If Star Trek beyond is the best that can be done. Maybe we don't deserve Star Trek. 

Aleksandar Petrovic
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 May 2017 at 10:46pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

One (huge) reason why I have tremendous respect for Doctor Who franchise: the whole thing is single continuity, from its debut on November 23, 1963 to the present day. No reboots, no remakes, for 53.5 years.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 02 May 2017 at 5:05am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

One (huge) reason why I have tremendous respect for Doctor Who franchise: the whole thing is single continuity, from its debut on November 23, 1963 to the present day. No reboots, no remakes, for 53.5 years.

••

Thaaaat's generous. DOCTOR WHO has had plenty of "reboots" over the years, but they were of the stealth variety -- much like we used to have in comics before the A-R types took over.

Even the regenerations are a kind of reboot, since the stories being told are shaped by the new Doctor and his different personality.

Aleksandar Petrovic
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2017 at 10:26am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

The creators of Doctor Who Confidential making-of documentaries would get a heart attack if they read this :) They take great pride in frequently emphasizing that the 2005 version of Doctor Who is a direct plot continuation of the original series (1963-1989) and the 1996 telefilm. 

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2017 at 11:44am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Or, would it be crap that just happens to look great?

See: PROMETHEUS.

Edited by Brian Rhodes on 02 May 2017 at 11:44am

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2017 at 1:15pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Reboot is maybe too strong a word, but Doctor who is certainly full of retcons. The Time Lords themselves are retconned almost every time they appear.

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2017 at 5:57pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

The start of the colour era for Doctor Who (Jon Pertwee onwards) was pretty much a hard reboot into an action-spy series, at least for a few years.  Enough core elements were kept that it was/is recognisably Doctor Who though.  

Fun fact: Jon Pertwee's debut story (SPEARHEAD FROM SPACE) changed and updated more elements of Doctor Who canon than the 1996 TV Movie.

Back to Star Trek, I agree that it should be given a rest on screen for at least five years if not a decade.   Doctor Who benifitted from nearly 15 years of other-media gestation, and many of the writers who cut their teeth on the novels, comics, and audio plays ended up being key players in the 2005 revival.   It brought Doctor Who from a cult British indulgence into the 21st century as a worldwide phenomenon.  No mean feat, there.

Of course I don't think the rights holders for Star Trek will ever be patient enough to wait that long.  Always money to be made and properties to exploit.  Eventually, everything will end up being owned by Disney anyway...

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version