Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: Same Clan, Different Vintage (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2017 at 3:40pm | IP Logged | 1  

I expect that there are many people on this forum. Who like myself have a fondness for vintage things toys, radios, televisions etc etc etc.

Because increased negativity being generated on the various social media websites. I've found myself becoming more withdrawn and selective about who I interact with and what sites I visit. 

So I am hoping to combat that negativity by creating this thread about something I find positive for my mental well being. 

So  JB if you are okay with this I'd like anyone who's interested to share with everyone their favorite vintage items. That which they own, did own or are looking to acquire.  
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 April 2017 at 4:17pm | IP Logged | 2  

Go for it!

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2017 at 4:43pm | IP Logged | 3  

Thanks JB

For my first entry I present Kenner's Stretch Monster. I had this one as a child. Until two friends decided to see just how far it will stretch.  I've come close to getting it back twice. Of the toys I had as a kid this is maybe the one I'm seeking most.

Phil Kreisel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2017 at 4:58pm | IP Logged | 4  

I had several from my youth.  Here's one... Major Matt Mason (my toy and accessories have long since vanished)

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2017 at 5:10pm | IP Logged | 5  

Thanks Anthony!

Still the proud owner this die-cast Dinky Toy Thunderbird 2 from childhood:

I've since added a number of detail accurate TB2s to my collection, but this is the flagship piece to me.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 April 2017 at 5:31pm | IP Logged | 6  

I still own three hand puppets from when I was about 6. Characters from childrens shows on TV. Sooty (a bear), Sweep (a dog), and Muffin the Mule. The "real" Muffin was a string puppet. I also had one of those, but it long since vanished, a victim of one of the many moves. I am not sure how the three I have survived. My mother threw out all my other "plush" toys when she decided I no longer wanted them.

In the non-original category I have spent rather a lot of money finding replacements for many of my long lost toys. ("Oh, you didn't need those any more. I gave them to *******.")

In my mother's "defense" I will mention that when I was about 9 she fell and cracked her head on the ice of a skating rink. Severe concussion. She was "altered" after that. My Dad used to say he feared coming home from work one day to find she'd sold all the furniture.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 April 2017 at 5:34pm | IP Logged | 7  

I used to be convinced that the toy companies were spying on me. Almost at the moment I decided I was too old to be playing with toys, they released G.I. Joe and Major Matt Mason. I used to loiter in the toy department drooling over them.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2017 at 6:17pm | IP Logged | 8  

Had this Eagle 1 as a kid and loved it even though I'd never seen an episode of Space 1999. Seeing the prices it fetches on E-bay these days how I wish I'd held on to it.

Tim Cousar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2017 at 7:11pm | IP Logged | 9  

Mego Captain Marvel

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2017 at 7:44pm | IP Logged | 10  

The 10 hour annual drive to KY seem to go a lot quicker the Christmas I got Mattel's Electronic Football (sometime in the late seventies). 
I played the ever lovin' crap out of that game!

As for the action figures, it was Big Jim. I had G.I.Joe's but they were all garage sale bought.
Big Jim was new out of the box so he was the favorite.

Lars Sandmark
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2017 at 7:50pm | IP Logged | 11  

Good call Tim. I love my Mego Pocket Heroes.
Sadly, I had gone ahead and used Liquid Paper to add white to Spider-Man's eyes and Cap's shield and sleeves. I still have them all but definitely not mint. I have the Hall of Justice, but no longer have the Mangler, and Wonder Woman's invisible jet is a mess. I never did own the batmobile, but I had one for the Mego dolls though.

Jim Petersman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2017 at 7:57pm | IP Logged | 12  

We used to spend Christmas Eve alternating between my father's sibling's houses. I distinctly remember coming home afterwards once to find Santa had already been at our house (my parents wanted to sleep in, I guess). I received this toy that year and it remained a favorite for many years to come until it's sudden disappearance. It is also one of my earliest memories. What a great thread idea.

Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version