Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: Same Clan, Different Vintage (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2017 at 4:48pm | IP Logged | 1  

As far as toys, I always had a fondness for the Fisher Price Adventure People. They had scuba
divers, mountain climbers, and helicopter rescuers. The only set I currently own is the family
safari set.

But my favorite things have always been books. I have a complete hardback set of the original OZ
books. These aren't first editions or anything, but a set released sometime in the mid-to-late 60s.

The jewel of my book collection is probably the complete set of original Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew
books. Again, these are not first editions, although I do have a couple of those, but the original
text. Most people don't know that the Hardy Boys series started in 1927, and Nancy Drew followed in
1930. They released 38 and 34 volumes, respectively, before the publishers decided to rewrite and
update them. They shortened all the books from 25 chapters to 20, and ~220 pages to ~180. In most
cases, they simply tightened up and modernized the books, but in some instances, they kept only the
title and completely rewrote the story. The rewritten versions are the familiar blue (Hardy Boys)
and yellow (Nancy Drew) spined books most of us grew up with.

Back to Top profile | search

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2017 at 7:12pm | IP Logged | 2  

I had that Steve Austin 12 inch action figure as well which was a childhood treasure. And while I never had one of those Shogun Warrior toys I did have the giant Godzilla that was part of that line which also a favorite. 

And I had most of those Fisher Price sets that Jason described and posted pics of. The boat and scuba gear ones were great as was the safari one. I still have a few of the figures (and the tent from that safari set) but sadly none of the vehicles with the exception of a motorcycle or two.

Edited by Shane Matlock on 30 April 2017 at 7:21pm

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2017 at 8:24pm | IP Logged | 3  

And while I never had one of those Shogun Warrior toys I did have the giant Godzilla that was part of that line which also a favorite.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`````
I had Godzilla, Rodan and Dragun 

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2017 at 9:07pm | IP Logged | 4  

One thing I did was combine various playsets. I had the classic green army men, a jungle set with animals, natives and explorers and a caveman set. Combined I created an adventure starring Tarzan and his friends fighting Nazis in WWII Africa. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2017 at 9:36pm | IP Logged | 5  

So many memories are being brought back on this thread... Mego Comic Action Heroes and Pocket Super Heroes; Steve Austin; Stretch Armstrong; Evel Knieval's Stunt Cycle, Shogun Warriors... 

Literally in front of me here at the computer is a Hulk Comic Action Hero, albeit one that I purchased within the past year. His leg is completely broken off, but you can set it back into place pretty much invisibly so he was only ten dollars. Off to my right on the bookcase are four 3 1/2 inch Shogun Warrior figures alongside three Tootsietoy characters, Zoltan the Android, Major Mars, and Captain Laser. All of these have stories attached to them. The Dragun figure is the only one original to my childhood. 

A full-sized Dragun stands atop the bookcase to my left. When I was a kid, I wanted one of these three-foot things so much it ached to think about them. All around the room are little reminders of such childhood desires, both those met and those left unfulfilled. Crystar; Secret Wars; Star Trek soft posable Spock; Ideal's STAR Team Zem-21; Robin from the Super Jrs.; Gor- King of the Terrons from the Super Joe line, the Galaxy Laser Team figures... 

There are Star Wars toys, Superman and Wonder Woman figures, Batmobiles, Enterprises, a Tonka Volkswagen, a vinyl Frankenberry, and a Dick Tracy Soakie. One on hand, it's nice to be surrounded by so many familiar faces. On the other, there is a question of how much stuff does it take to become overstuffed. In any case, I think I'm more or less done with the idea that I need much more. I pass by far more items than I purchase these days, and that's all to the good, I think. 

I have Gor and I have Dragun. I have my Zem-21. Who could ask for anything more? :-)

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 May 2017 at 5:56am | IP Logged | 6  

I was once the proud young owner of a Beatles lunch box....

Edited by David Allen Perrin on 01 May 2017 at 5:56am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 May 2017 at 6:28am | IP Logged | 7  

…Lionel…

••

My British heritage made me a Triang boy! Relatives across the Pond would send me the latest releases for birthdays and Xmas. Friends in Canada had Lionel train sets, and I was terrified of the third rail.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 May 2017 at 7:41am | IP Logged | 8  

What a great thread!

I too have spent a lot of money re-acquiring the toys of my youth (or buying the ones I wish I'd had). One day, when I'm retired, I'll have to go through the boxes upon boxes in my storage unit.

I'm pretty sure I still have a model Eagle and Moonbase Alpha from Space:1999, and I'm darned happy to have acquired a couple of THUNDERBIRD 2 models.

Makes me wonder if my dad, grandfather and others wish they could have done likewise.

Bob MacNeil
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 May 2017 at 9:02am | IP Logged | 9  

I had a game that was a "knock off" for lack of a better term of Mouse Trap. It was a Rube Goldberg "esque" game called The Flying Flanagan Brothers. A pair of brothers and their wacky circus act. You try to get the flying brothers, via a Rube Goldberg pathway that you set up... to the end of the game. I don't remember if the end was a net or bucket.

The game disappeared from my possession for reasons I cannot get into here, but I remember it to this day.

This had to be circa 1978 or 79.

I've looked in many places for this game with no success.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 May 2017 at 9:19am | IP Logged | 10  

Bob, have you tried looking under the name "Flying Finnegan?" It's a 1978 board game from Kenner and is shown in this YouTube video.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 May 2017 at 9:40am | IP Logged | 11  

The jewel of my book collection is probably the complete set of original Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew books.

••

As a kid, I heard the siren call of neither of those series, but I was heavily into TOM SWIFT JR. They were all library books, tho, so I had none I actually owned until years -- decades! -- later, when I started collecting both the JR books and the original TOM SWIFT series. Some of the later I was even able to find still with their dust jackets intact, tho they are fourth or fifth editions.

(One of my pet fantasies is some day to make a Tom Swift movie, but with the original being given the inventions of his son. Somehow, I think that might play better than TOM SWIFT AND HIS MOTOR-CYCLE!)

Bob MacNeil
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 May 2017 at 9:48am | IP Logged | 12  

Holy Crap Brian Hague!!!!   That's it! That's why I haven't been able to find it. I was looking for the wrong name all these years. I guess my eight year old recollection isn't as good as I thought it was.

That's awesome Brian, thank you so much! Now I"m on a mission!
Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version