Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 4
Topic: Blade Runner 2049 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 October 2017 at 6:31am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I think 2049 does a better job sequelling a movie that didn't need one than most movies that were set up for one.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 October 2017 at 10:43pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Can't stop thinking about this movie. Despite bombing at the box office (my family and I were literally the only people in the theater, yesterday), it's being hailed as one of the greatest sequels ever made, and I find myself tending to agree. This is probably gonna be a must-own for me when it comes to home video. I need to see it again.

In an era where I constantly find myself sighing and griping about counterfeit and cash-grab sequels/reboots/remakes, I find myself utterly shocked that this film is not only faithful and respectful to the original, but is also genuinely great on its own terms. I walked out of the theater totally satisfied, which rarely if ever happens to me, these days. No grumbling from me whatsoever about the original being insulted or exploited decades after the fact. It's a strange feeling!

My pal, Zaki Hasan, recently said that the film plays almost more as an epilogue to the original, rather than a true sequel, and think that idea has a lot of merit. So glad I didn't know much about the plot, going in. I now find myself mentally re-examining the original in the context of the sequel, and it's kinda trippy.

Meanwhile, I found a very interesting (and spoiler-filled) interview with screenwriters Hampton Fancher and Michael Green:

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 4
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version