Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 17 Next >>
Topic: The Orville Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2017 at 4:23pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Just out of curiosity, for those who watch the show online through the Fox web site, or Hulu, have you had any problems doing so?
I couldn't get the 6th episode to play on Hulu, and the seventh had choppy video (no issues with my computer watching other shows on Hulu or any other streaming sites).

When I watched the most recent episode on Fox.com, I found it was showing segments out of order following the ad breaks.
Back to Top profile | search

Robbie Moubert
Byrne Robotics Member
Evertonian

Posted: 02 November 2017 at 5:04pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Just to confirm what Darren said:

Back to Top profile | search | www

Michael Arndt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2017 at 5:38pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

This is great news. I have enjoyed this series. Happy to hear this.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 02 November 2017 at 8:07pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Great news -- but no more like tonight's Braga-fest, please!

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2017 at 11:04pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Yeah, this one felt very much like Berman-era TNG, and not in a good way. You could easily swap in Data and the Crushers, and this would make for a "meh" TNG episode, from somewhere around season 6-7.

Nice to see Penny Johnson Jerald get a starring role, though. And, just last week, I saw Brian Thompson as a Klingon in a second season episode of TNG, so seeing him here was a bit trippy.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 03 November 2017 at 12:08am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I've backlogged the last three eps, so I'm not caught up.  That said?  The pickup confirmed what I wrote about three-four pages back.  This is great news. Once a series gets a second season, it's nearly automatic to get a third.  That's just the way network logistics work.  They've committed to a series they own getting a higher episode order, so now they're pot committed to getting it to 88 and/or beyond for streaming. Fans should rejoice!

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2017 at 4:09am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I enjoyed last night's episode, though if I were to rank them all, this one would
probably fall near the bottom. Still, if this is as "bad" as it gets, I'll remain
happy with the series!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2017 at 4:40am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Were we getting a Stewie reference from the youngest son last night?

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2017 at 7:28am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Agreed with assessments of the 11/2 episode. It was just a little TOO obvious. 

Mom with two bratty kids, kids cause problem, get separated and then "Son, I love you / Mom, I love you too" - a bit heavy handed. And the homo electronicus getting a sense of humanity and "welcome to the family" - yeah, it was kinda nice, but again, perhaps they did not need such a big two by four to enforce the point.

My wife suggested that the inhabitants of the planet might be a bit of a Halloween tribute, being zombie-like and all. I'm not entirely sure that fit, but it was an interesting consideration.

And for the renewal image - GREAT that they've been renewed! But isn't the pose of the two leads a touch sillier than the tone of the show presents itself? Or is it a really accurate representation of the show to those who haven't been watching it? What do y'all think?

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 03 November 2017 at 8:03am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

"Was I the only one" bothered by Claire ruthlessly murdering her benefactor, AND another native on the way to finding the shuttle?

Granted, the second could be filed under "self defense", but to later give her a high-ground "we don't kill" line...

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2017 at 9:33am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Was I the only one" bothered by Claire ruthlessly murdering her benefactor, AND another native on the way to finding the shuttle?
++++++++

Yeah, that seemed rather sudden and unwarranted. It's not as if her captor had said he was planning on eating her, or anything like that. He was just what appeared to be a lonely, paranoid type. Like a conspiracy nut who'd stockpiled weapons and food for years, and then turned out to be right in predicting a major catastrophe. Not necessarily murderous or anything.

Marc M. Woolman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 November 2017 at 3:37am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Yeah, when she killed her captor I thought
that was harsh and excessive. He hadn't
given any indication as to what his intent
was, and she killed him just as he
returned with medical supplies for her.

Very happy the show's been renewed for a
second season.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 November 2017 at 4:57am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

I thought the same when I saw it. Ruthless.

i justified it in my head by thinking ,a mother needs to get to her children at any cost.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 November 2017 at 10:32am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

At the time, simple-minded me thought that she had only attacked him and wounded him to give herself a chance to get away. But yeah, I guess a knife to the gut would probably be fatal. VERY off-character for a doctor, I think. I mean... at that point, she had found a way out while he was gone. Why not just duck out then?

And to put WAY too fine a point on it... it's not what Dr. McCoy would have done. Which is to say, it's a bad story element.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 04 November 2017 at 12:03pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

At the time, simple-minded me thought that she had only attacked him and wounded him to give herself a chance to get away. But yeah, I guess a knife to the gut would probably be fatal.

And she also shot him!

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 November 2017 at 2:47pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Eric Sofer:
And to put WAY too fine a point on it... it's not what Dr. McCoy would have done. Which is to say, it's a bad story element.

Could be this is a move to remind people that THE ORVILLE is not 'exactly like STAR TREK'. Will it be another 'seed' that could be addressed later on?

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 November 2017 at 4:08pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

This was one of the weaker episodes. Maybe I'm developing a built-in bias against episodes which are not written by McFarlane, much like I automatically prepare myself to be disappointed when I watch a new episode of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and find that none of the primary 3 actors/creators wrote it.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 November 2017 at 7:13pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

The writing issue should improve in future seasons.  McFarlane is the creator, so he literally knows everything there is to know about the characters and their universe.  For other writers to find the voices of the characters and the rhythms of the show will take some time. 

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 November 2017 at 2:24pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Once a series gets a second season, it's nearly automatic to get a third.  That's just the way network logistics work.

Matt, I'm going to be the smartass that points out the exceptions DEAD LIKE ME, STARGATE: UNIVERSE, and CARNIVALE.  :-) 

In all seriousness, I'm glad THE ORVILLE got a second season.   I'm not entirely convinced STAR TREK DISCOVERY actually earned that second season rather than trading on it's name recognition.  After all, ENTERPRISE was able to wring four seasons of mediocrity (ok, maybe 3 and a half) before being dragged out back behind the barn and shot.  It would have criminal IMO for DISCOVERY to continue and THE ORVILLE to end though.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 November 2017 at 9:53pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

I'm not entirely convinced STAR TREK DISCOVERY actually earned that second season rather than trading on it's name recognition.  
++++++++

What other content does CBS even have to promote its All Access service? It would look pretty bad if the show was cancelled before its first season was even done, and it's apparently done well enough for them to keep it going for at least another season.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that renewing DISCOVERY is a case of sunk-cost fallacy, but I do wonder if that isn't a factor.

THE ORVILLE, on the other hand, has proven very popular with the viewing public, even though the critical response has been weak, and the viewing numbers aren't huge. It clearly has proven to have enough of a built-in fanbase to warrant being given a chance to grow.

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 November 2017 at 2:05am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

I wouldn't go so far as to say that renewing DISCOVERY is a case of sunk-cost fallacy, but I do wonder if that isn't a factor.

I would go as far as saying that and take it one further by suggesting it's designed as a loss-leader purely to attract attention and publicity for the streaming service.  Basically, a long form publicity stunt.  The producers and actors involved with DISCOVERY have the gall to stick their noses into current politics in the USA all the while shooting the show on the cheap in Toronto like a bunch of hypocrites.

THE ORVILLE as far as I can tell is filmed completely in the States, with actual location shooting in places like the Vasquez Rocks.   I actually respect that, and I'm Canadian.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 06 November 2017 at 6:52am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Attempted last night to get a friend to give THE ORVILLE a look, but he absolutely would not take one step beyond a single bad review he'd read.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 November 2017 at 9:23am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

I was disappointed with the latest episode: bland, unmemorable and very light on the funnies, which makes me think that the comedic aspect is more important to the series than I had initially thought. 

Add my name to the list of those disturbed by Claire killing her captor. Seemed to be done on the basis of little more than expedience and disquiet. In other words, totally unjustified.

Edited by Peter Martin on 06 November 2017 at 9:25am

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 November 2017 at 11:40am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

I would go as far as saying that and take it one further by suggesting it's designed as a loss-leader purely to attract attention and publicity for the streaming service.  Basically, a long form publicity stunt.  The producers and actors involved with DISCOVERY have the gall to stick their noses into current politics in the USA all the while shooting the show on the cheap in Toronto like a bunch of hypocrites.
+++++++++++++

This is where I make the joke that STD has been quarantined in Canada, and on All Access, so that the least amount of people will be exposed to it.

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 06 November 2017 at 11:40am

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2017 at 10:08pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

When Claire killed the first captor, I thought...ok she may have felt her life was threatened, maybe they didn't make that clear enough in the story telling. Then she killed the second fellow...ok more of the same. But turning around and telling her kid "we value life" came off very hypocritical.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 17 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version