TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 17 Next >>
Topic: The Orville Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2017 at 11:52pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I The producers and actors involved with DISCOVERY have the gall to stick
their noses into current politics in the USA all the while shooting the show on
the cheap in Toronto like a bunch of hypocrites.
))))))
I'm not sure I understand Rob, you can't comment on American politics unless
you work here? That doesn't make sense to me. I don't live in France but I
followed their election and had an opinion on it.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 08 November 2017 at 7:49am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Thread drift! STD has its own thread.

Paul Lloyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 November 2017 at 11:46am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Was I the only one" bothered by Claire ruthlessly murdering her benefactor, AND another native on the way to finding the shuttle?
++++++++

I took it as a sign of her absolute determination to be reunited with her children. Her speech at the end about saving lives, the way it was delivered, I thought she was speaking as much to herself as to her son.  
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Paul Lloyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 November 2017 at 11:48am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Oh, and also

Whoo-hoo!

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 08 November 2017 at 11:56am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

"...dysfunctional crew..."

Huh?

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 November 2017 at 1:11pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

If you only saw the first episode, I could see why you'd make the assumption that the crew is dysfunctional.  Since then, however, that is not quite the case.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 November 2017 at 4:03pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Yeah, that makes no sense. The early publicity for the show indicated that the tension between exes Ed and Kelly would be a main focus of the series, but it's factored into only, like, two episodes, so far.

I'm loathe to get into another gender politics discussion, but I will say that this show's treatment of Kelly has greatly impressed me. She's could have easily come off as a shrewish, cheating ex, but doesn't. She made a mistake which hurt Ed badly, but she's still a fundamentally good and kind person, and is also very good at her job.

This show isn't just a sitcom about exes who hate each other being stuck together on a spaceship. That may be the impression which early publicity and early reviews gave, but that is SO not what this show is.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 08 November 2017 at 4:43pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

"Dysfunctional" seems to be something of a portmanteau word. Writers with little grasp of the human condition use it to cover anything they cannot properly explain.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 November 2017 at 5:14pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Yeah, people who argue every once in awhile are supposedly "dysfunctional", nowadays.

I was under the impression that disagreements and personal tension/drama were an ordinary part of the human condition. Abusive, violent, and literally non-functioning families and workplaces are what should define that word.

As you yourself have noted, JB, defining the Fantastic Four as "dysfunctional" speaks volumes on where Marvel's at, these days. A fundamental lack of understanding when it comes to human social dynamics, and what constitutes appropriate and on-model storytelling.

Like STAR TREK before it, THE ORVILLE features a functioning group of people from different backgrounds and with different skillsets who get the job done, despite the occasional difference of opinion. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 08 November 2017 at 5:16pm

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 November 2017 at 7:49pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I liked the last episode, but again there seemed to be a dip in quality when MacFarlane didn't write it. I too was taken aback by how the ship's doctor killed her captor/rescuer, but when it comes to killing someone to escape and save your kids, I doubt even a doctor that's sworn to protect life would hesitate to do so. But it did bother me, especially since he was bringing back drugs he thought would keep her alive.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 November 2017 at 7:36am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Also, there have been some complaints about the humor. But I was thinking along the lines of the British guy's review posted previously - have these people never worked in an office? These just happen to be (some) people that like to have fun, and workplace pranks are not that unusual in real life (granted, they usually don't involve cutting off a coworker's leg, but that scene actually worked for me, given the context). I do, however, think that the "Bortus eating things" scene went on just a little too long.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 November 2017 at 10:03am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

workplace pranks are not that unusual in real life 
++++++++

Guilty!

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 November 2017 at 7:00pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Speaking of workplace pranks, the other night at work I got an e-mail from my department boss where she said a co-worker thought people on my shift were sitting at his desk and messing with his stuff. Since there is just me and two other people on my shift and I sit right next to them, I know for a fact that this isn't the case. Also everyone has their own desk and this guy is kind of a huge slob, so why would anyone want to sit at his desk? I believe it was simply the cleaning lady cleaning his desk and things getting moved around because of that since it also happens to mine, but I'm observant enough to see that stuff looks cleaner. Anyway, since that happened I've been slightly moving things around on his desk and making slight adjustments to his chair. :D 

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 09 November 2017 at 9:23pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Tonight's episode was closer to form, but still lacking a certain something.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 November 2017 at 10:10pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Storyline wasn't my cup of tea. Did get a couple of laughs. 

So did I miss what happened to Yaphit and Dr. Finn in the hallway?

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 November 2017 at 11:54pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Yeah, this one had some good moments and laughs, but felt off. As has already been noted, it seems like the episodes not written by MacFarlane are lacking that certain something.

Rather odd that the Ed-Kelly dynamic came right back to the forefront just after I mentioned it, too. Interesting that they didn't go so far as to retcon things by revealing the Kelly was entranced by pheromones when she cheated on Ed, too.

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 09 November 2017 at 11:54pm

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 10 November 2017 at 4:13am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

So, was that Rob Lowe in the pilot?

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 November 2017 at 5:58am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

IMDb shows Lowe in 1 episode.

Think that was all the explaining of how different (fit) he looks now.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 November 2017 at 3:39pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

I had no idea that was Rob Lowe playing the blue alien in the pilot. Neat! I'll be watching the new episode tonight and see from the description I read that he makes a return. I hope we get another MacFarlane scripted episode soon as I think we all got spoiled from the high percentage of the scripts being his early on.

Hopefully by next season, MacFarlane can find another writer that can write the show without it suffering a loss in quality. But even the worst episode of The Orville this season has been better than the best episode of STD.

Edit: I see now he wasn't playing the alien in the pilot but just this episode. Derp.

Edited by Shane Matlock on 11 November 2017 at 1:37pm

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 November 2017 at 6:58pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

I just watched the episode where they’re on that planet where society gives you a like or dislike and that was the law of the land. My favorite episode yet. 

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 10 November 2017 at 8:15pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

I have not seen STD (snigger), and have no plans to alter that condition, so I can't compare it to THE ORVILLE for quality. Of these last two episodes, tho, I will say this: TOS had a couple of stinkers in its first season ("The Galileo Seven" and "Operation: Annihilate") and neither of these recent ORVILLE outings fall to those depths. They are merely varying degrees of disappointing, the more recent much less so than the one before it.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 November 2017 at 9:13pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

I thought the most recent episode was the best one not written by MacFarlane so far (not sure if that's an official award yet). I thought it struck the right balance between the comedy and the plot-driven/quandary-solving side. The ending was not fully to my satisfaction, but overall it was a decent enough episode.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 November 2017 at 10:55pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

TOS had a couple of stinkers in its first season ("The Galileo Seven" and "Operation: Annihilate") and neither of these recent ORVILLE outings fall to those depths. They are merely varying degrees of disappointing, the more recent much less so than the one before it.
+++++++

I'm sure you left "The Alternative Factor" out purely by accident, there!

Anyway, yeah, I don't think there's been a "bad" ORVILLE episode, as of yet. This last one didn't quite do it for me, though, particularly with Ed swerving--albeit under the influence--into a brief interspecies and homosexual relationship. It's entirely possible that Ed is innately bisexual or omnisexual or whatever, but it seems a bit odd that he wasn't weirded out, afterwards. Unless they were trying to make a social statement by showing that he wasn't weirded out. 

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 11 November 2017 at 12:31am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

I'm sure you left "The Alternative Factor" out purely by accident, there!

•••

And this is why I avoid lists.

I was discussing two ORVILLE episodes, so I picked two TOS episodes.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 November 2017 at 12:46am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Ah. I thought you were indicating that TOS only had two stinkers in its first season, which is sadly not the case!

...although, while a lot of people seem to consider "The Alternative Factor" one of the very worst of the series, I don't quite agree. Boring and meandering, yes, but still made with first season production values. I don't think it's at third season-levels of bad. More "meh" than "ugh".

<< Prev Page of 17 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version