Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 17 Next >>
Topic: The Orville Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2017 at 7:10am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I'm kind of surprised a show like this exists. I mean, yeah, "Galaxy Quest" was an combination of an homage and a parody in a similar vein, but it was a one-off film, unlikely to have a sequel at this point. "The Orville" is so darn close to "Star Trek" in so many ways, played as a light comedy or not, that I am surprised Paramount (they still own Star Trek, right?) allows it to exist.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 14 September 2017 at 7:52am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

"The Orville" is so darn close to "Star Trek" in so many ways, played as a light comedy or not, that I am surprised Paramount (they still own Star Trek, right?) allows it to exist.

Nullum simili est idem. Nothing similar is the same. Point of law.

Back to Top profile | search

Joseph Greathouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2017 at 10:19am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I watched the first episode twice now, once to introduce my wife.  I may likely end up watching it a third with a friend who is visiting for the weekend.  I liked it. I don't know exactly how I would describe it.  But I know I liked it.  The preview of future episodes seems promising.  My wife told me to add it to the DVR. So I guess we will see where we go from here. 

But I can't believe how busy this man is! Along with The Orville, and Family Guy, and American Dad, he is in Lucky Logan, and the guy just today dropped his fourth album of jazz standards. To work as much as he does and look that good, I hate him.

Ray Brady
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2017 at 8:21pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I enjoyed the pilot well enough, and will no doubt come back for more. However, I find myself wishing MacFarlane would try to broaden his repertoire a bit. I am convinced that he has the talent to produce a sincere, all-ages appropriate adventure series, without the need to rely upon silliness. The Orville would be a great opportunity for him to cut down on the goofiness, and trust himself enough just to tell fun stories.

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2017 at 7:53pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

After the first episode, I was willing to give it a chance despite a little bit of jankiness with the pacing.

Second episode, much better on every level.

Note: It is kind of irritating how much of a 1-hour show is taken up by commercials these days.  Very noticeable after watching either DVD box sets or cable series.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 17 September 2017 at 8:06pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Enjoyable. Made me wonder if MacFarlane's approach will be to play with a different sci-fi cliche each week.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2017 at 8:44pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Second episode better for me also. 

Comedy not as forced, good balance. 

I wouldn't mind a different character spotlight the first few episodes.  

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2017 at 8:54pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Friggin' football delay caused me to miss a chunk of the episode, once I realized that it had stopped recording when the episode was originally supposed to end.

That said, I enjoyed it.

I wouldn't be surprised if the show did indeed tackle a different cliche, each week...or perhaps even parody specific stories from genre shows and films.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 17 September 2017 at 8:59pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I sat thru a sizable chunk of the football game, not knowing when the show would start.

Hey! Teams! Want to make the games REALLY exciting? Only four players on each team and DON'T stop the clock!

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2017 at 9:22pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

At least this show will be moving to Thursdays, which should sidestep the problem!

Friday nights may have once been the prime-time TV "death slot", but I hereby name Football Sundays as the rightful heir to that throne. I'm still amazed that CBS didn't cancel THE GOOD WIFE (a show I enjoyed and watched regularly) due to the football delays. That show aired late every week. For years!

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2017 at 4:05am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I very much enjoyed the second episode and I think I've figured out the "formula" as it were. Each episode is like a TOS episode, but real life (and sometimes inconsequential) events pop up for discussion. It's interesting... for example, I think that Star Trek never referred to rest rooms. Not to say that an epissode about them would be riveting, but... if I gotta use the bathroom, EVERYBODY gotta use the bathroom! ;)

My one question is about the results of what happened when Alera took over the ship and botched the job QUITE so badly. I'm not military, but I know a little of it, and it seemed that I saw two or three court martial offenses. Of course, we have no idea of the 25th century's military law... but it bugged me a little.

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2017 at 6:35am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Yeah, the second episode was much better than the first.  It had me laughing numerous times.  Overall, I definitely like the balance this episode presented.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2017 at 10:13am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

The second episode was indeed a hopeful improvement.  Some of Alara's behavior and decisions might not have been in the finest tradition of the Union employee handbook but this IS a comedy drama and things did ultimately work out.  Again, I was surprised to find some heart showing up and overall this was a light and pleasant hour.

The second show's initial ratings appear down a bit from week one but it started late thanks to the lightning delay in the Cowboys game.  The real test comes when The Orville moves to Thursday nights at 9 pm after GOTHAM, but so far, this looks like a success. 

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2017 at 11:07am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

I am not a Seth McFarlane fan.  At all.

But after the positive word here in this thread I watched the first couple episodes On Demand, and this show works for me.  I think the trick with this kind of thing, that McFarlane has nailed here, is that the show has to function as what it is (in this case a sci-fi show) while also being funny.  If you go so slapstick that the show couldn't function as a standard show, its going to wear thin fast.  But this is striking the right balance.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 18 September 2017 at 11:54am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

In a nutshell, and as seen in A MILLION WAYS TO DIE IN THE WEST, MacFarlane crafts the spine of his tale as a "straight" genre story. Then he salts it with his particular brand of humor.

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2017 at 2:57pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Caught the second episode last night and thought it was a lot of fun!

If I had to sum up THE ORVILLE, I'd say it's TREK without all the lofty,
utopian "humanity has evolved" stuff that Roddenberry served up in
TNG. The people in this future seem to still be as recognizably petty
and silly as anyone in the here and now, but still capable of moments of
courage and ingenuity.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 18 September 2017 at 3:33pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Just watched it again. Disappointed to note the majority of other captives in the zoo were not freed. But, then, I guess Pike didn't do that, either.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2017 at 5:20pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

"... Disappointed to note the majority of other captives in the zoo were not freed..."

Right. I even thought they were foreshadowing the release of the "big guy" who had been there some 30 years.

Jeff Patterson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2017 at 5:29pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

I find it odd that the humor comes almost exclusively from wisecrack remarks and sight gags, as opposed to the SF cliches themselves. Red Dwarf and Rick & Morty have riffed on Star Trek tropes repeatedly and get laughs by tweaking the cliche. (R&M had a zoo sequence last night as well, mixed with Sagan's Contact)  I guess I was expecting something a bit more subversive, like Get Smart was back in the day. But the production is top notch.

Now I want an Orville written by Buck Henry.

Ryan Maxwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2017 at 6:07pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

I watched both episodes last night and enjoyed myself.  It got pretty big laughs out of me at Jeremy the Ogre and the alternative left behind at the zoo.  I'm looking forward to seeing them build this universe up.  

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 18 September 2017 at 6:47pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

GET SMART was subversive?

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2017 at 8:00pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

I enjoyed the first two episodes.   My only real problem is the juxtaposition of modern contextual humour with STAR TREK trappings.   
In four hundred years time is anyone going to know who or what the heck Papa Smurf is?   

On the other hand a beagle licking his nuts at an inopportune time has been funny since beagles were invented and will remain funny after beagles cease to be a breed.   Timeless humour is timeless.

(you can just tell this happened to Captain Archer multiple times off camera on ENTERPRISE, lol) 

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2017 at 9:33pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

A few interesting names in the credits:

Jon Favreau is listed as a consultant.

Trek-Related:
Brannon Braga is an executive producer.  
Robert Duncan MacNeil directed the second episode

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 18 September 2017 at 9:44pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

In four hundred years time is anyone going to know who or what the heck Papa Smurf is?   

Perhaps these lines should be seen as "translations" intended to make the dialog more accessible?

Jim Lynch
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2017 at 9:49pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Adrianne Palicki's legs.

Oh, I'm sorry, what were we talking about?

<< Prev Page of 17 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version