Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 16 Next >>
Topic: The Orville Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 29 September 2017 at 1:19pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Went there, saw that, bought the t-shirt.

Just now. On Amazon.

Back to Top profile | search

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 September 2017 at 4:01pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Any comments on the design of the Orville starship?

I like it over all. Over time I bet the 3-engine configuration will feel more natural. Or as we see more ships (I really want to see a heavy cruiser) with the 3-engine design.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 29 September 2017 at 6:58pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Recommended the show to my friend Sue, who is a bit of a closet sci-fi fan, and after watching two episodes tonight, she is hooked.

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 September 2017 at 7:54pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I am really loving this show.  This show is far more "Star Trek-like" than the current new show.  Even with the comedic moments, it just feels "real" in so many ways.  I can imagine people acting exactly like this under those circumstances (i.e the awkward elevator ride).

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 29 September 2017 at 8:14pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I see Amazon already has the series available for pre-order on DVD. I am loathe to pre-order anything -- so many bad experiences -- and am just stitious enough to fear that doing so would jinx the show! "Byrne's ordered the DVD. We can turn to crap now!"

("Stitious" is a Mark Gruenwald word. "I'm stitious, but I'm not superstitious.)

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 September 2017 at 9:21pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

The ship-as-world concept is older than that clunky third season outing. Brian Aldiss' first novel, NON-STOP (later republished as STARSHIP) was just such a tale, in 1958.

This sounds like a novel I need to track down and read. Thanks for the information, sir!

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 September 2017 at 11:20pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

my god they even riff on the V'ger music. This show gets better and better.
++++++

Also, the music heard during the Krill battle is a riff on John Williams' "Attacking a Star Destroyer" from THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK.

Anyway, I finally saw the latest episode, and greatly enjoyed it. This show is way more engaging than BATTLESTAR DISCOVERY!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Paul Lloyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2017 at 2:45am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

The ship-as-world concept is older than that clunky third season outing. Brian Aldiss' first novel, NON-STOP (later republished as STARSHIP) was just such a tale, in 1958.

The "crew's descendants have forgotten they're on a starship" trope is from "Universe" by Robert Heinlein, 1941.
Also, I think someone on the scriptwriting team is an Isaac Asimov fan. The ending,including the quote, was from "Nightfall" (also 1941), and the robot crewman is named Isaac. And the robot not believing in a creator god reminded me of one of the short stories in "I, Robot".

...Were the city scenes filmed on locations that Star Trek TOS had used? Or maybe Batman? They looked familiar.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2017 at 4:54am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

"...Were the city scenes filmed on locations that Star Trek TOS had used? Or maybe Batman? They looked familiar."

I was thinking the same thing. They gave us that old backlot look. Loved it.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2017 at 6:01am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Paul L., you hit all the references I told my wife about in episode 4. And homaging Heinlein and Asimov is NOTHING wrong in my book. (Plagiarizing is a different matter, but I see none of that here; and it's hard to avoid existing sci-fi tropes.)

Sub-homage topic: I am not a music expert, but when I first heard Holst's "Mars: The Bringer of War" from "The Planets", I thought that I found the origin of a LOT of sci-fi, action, and adventure movie and TV show music. If you've not heard it... put on a seat belt and check it out.

Again, I so completely enjoyed this episode. It hearkens back to TOS - including the sets, yup! - and yet, it remains its own show. The funny stuff is more real life than crammed in for a cheap laugh, and while I worship at the TOS altar, this does seem both realistic enough and yet adventurous enough.

I especially liked Commander Grayson's defiance while being tortured. It seemed to call back to DeForest Kelly in "Space Seed" when Khan had a scalpel to his throat. Audacity, always audacity.

Other bits that I liked:
ITEM: Isaac went back to the ship, and was "suddenly" back with his part of the away team - GOOD. I don't need to see every single step everyone takes. He went, he did his business, he got back - and we didn't have to suffer through two minutes of a running character. Obvious off-screen business is best left off-screen.

ITEM: I am certain that there were riots and nervous breakdowns and insanity when the sky opened to the stars. But the shock and awe that was shown was sufficient, and A) more chaos wouldn't have contributed to the episode, and B) we KNOW that their version of Starfleet (which I completely forget... of course) is on the way to provide assistance... I'm sure that's going to include help for those poor people.

ITEM: Alara is super strong, but NOT invulnerable. Tough, but she can be badly hurt. Good. I didn't want a Mr. Data type character in her. And interesting, probably for future consideration, that we do not know what Isaac's physical abilities are. It intrigues me!

Yes indeed, this show has me hook, line, and sinker!

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 30 September 2017 at 6:57am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

ITEM: Alara is super strong, but NOT invulnerable. Tough, but she can be badly hurt. Good. I didn't want a Mr. Data type character in her.

As noted elsewhere, MacFarlane seems to be going for an early Golden Age Superman with her. And that version of Superman was, in turn, heavily influenced by John Carter of Mars.

But there's a snag. John Carter's super strength shouldn't really work. He is much "stronger" in the lesser gravity of Mars, but that just means that he is as strong as a reg'lar human, and it is the circumstances around him that have changed. Which means he can perform those prodigious leaps, sure, but he should not be bending iron bars. Superman, on the other, hand came from the reverse situation, where it is Earth's gravity that is lower than what he's evolved to deal with, and so he can bend steel in his bare hands.

Alara, tho... When she knocked down the vault-like door in the first episode, I assumed that MacFarlane was setting up a pretty high degree of invulnerability for her. Like GA Superman being resistant up to "a bursting shell". Now, tho, we know that she is not invulnerable, so what she did to bring down that big door was hurl her tiny form against it -- which would likely do her more damage than the door.

I guess we'll have to serve up some heaping tablespoons of Willing Suspension of Disbelief.

Matthew Chartrand
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2017 at 8:28am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I recently tried watching Star Trek Voyager because I was looking for a Star Trek fix, but could only take a few episodes. Too preachy for my tastes or something, I guess.

The Orville, tho is the best Star Trek since TOS. IMHO. I hope this show survives. It seems all the show I really like get cancelled.

Karl Wiebe
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2017 at 1:59pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Man I love this show!!  I feel like there is a common "let's play along" aspect -- like when yhe sky opened up, I thought it looked really good (considering this is not a huge budget show).  The city was filmed on a backlot - and that "throwback" feel is a good thing, something to enjoy!

Question: the Captain and crew don't seem concerned with showing themselves to another civilization or showing up and fixing the huge space cube.  If this is going to be a "real" Trek show, shouldn't there be some type of Prime Directive" or "non-interference" policy?  Even if they break it, wouldn't it add to the drama?  Disclaimer:  I am NOT an expert on Star Trek laws.  I guess the civilization is already on a spaceship, so maybe a Non-Interference policy doesn't apply?

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2017 at 4:14pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Not watched the show yet,being in the UK and honest! But
from above the ship has a Stingray vibe(Gerry Anderson)
Looking forward to seeing in the UK,legitimately!

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2017 at 4:35pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

I just watched episode 3 yesterday (4 is DVR'd, but I'm catching up on other shows). 

All I'm going to say is that I hope karma bites the Mochlans in the butt at some point.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2017 at 7:10pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

WE are three episodes in, and starting the fourth now.

Other than some unessesary attempts at humor, it's a winner.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 30 September 2017 at 7:31pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Not watched the show yet,being in the UK and honest! But from above the ship has a Stingray vibe(Gerry Anderson)

There it is! Thank you!

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 October 2017 at 10:08am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Mr. Byrne - Alara isn't invulnerable, but the doctor did note that she's far tougher than the standard person, and that the bullets would have killed an ordinary human.

I agree with you - I'm already having some W.S.oD. But I feel that this might not require the whole 55 gallon drum. ;)

Richard Siegel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 October 2017 at 11:35am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Enjoying the show - nice music homages to Fred Steiner et al. 

It's fun sci-fi and actually has a sense of wonder. 

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 01 October 2017 at 11:48am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Mr. Byrne - Alara isn't invulnerable, but the doctor did note that she's far tougher than the standard person, and that the bullets would have killed an ordinary human.

When I first moved to Connecticut, one of my across-the-street neighbors was Bill Rueger, then veep of the Sturm Rueger gun company, which his father had founded.

One day, he told me about something he particularly didn't like about SUPERMAN III. When the bad Superman is sitting in a bar, flicking peanuts with a finger, the peanuts shatter the bottles at which he aims them. Bill said that couldn't happen. No mattter how fast they were going, they were "still just peanuts."

So for Alara to bust that steel door right out of a brick wall, she would have to be VERY tough. Tough enough, probably, to have STOPPED those bullets!

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 October 2017 at 12:00pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

I think Mythbusters busted the tale of a tornado embedding a straw thru a tree.

But I swear I saw pictures of that decades ago before the photoshop days. Can't trust anything you see now though.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 October 2017 at 1:13pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

JB, the door part bothered me, too. If bullets couldn't stop her, how was she able to do that to the door without breaking something? And I don't mean the wall or door.

I'm all caught up, and I'm enjoying this show very much. Love the cast (especially glad to see Scott Grimes doing another series), and the show could actually work as a STAR TREK series if the humor was toned down. Which I'm glad isn't being done.

Loved the "BOOM, BITCH!" part. 

I just wonder if Robert Knepper's character was removed from office after the revelation that they're on a starship.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 01 October 2017 at 1:34pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Loved his hint of a smile at the revelation!

Marc M. Woolman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 October 2017 at 2:57am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

I'm catching up with this show now, using
my cable's on-demand service.
The main reason I'm giving it a chance is
because of the reactions of members here.
So far, I'm really enjoying it.

Luke Styer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 October 2017 at 2:34pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Episode 4 seemed to me to stop more than end, but up until that point, it was really strong.

<< Prev Page of 16 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version