Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 10 Next >>
Topic: Manchester Bombing (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 May 2017 at 1:42pm | IP Logged | 1  

you're still far more likely to be murdered by your spouse, knocked down by a bus or possibly impaled by an icicle of frozen urine falling from a passing plane than to be killed in a terrorist incident.
---------------------------------------
I'm fairly certain the number of fatalities from terrorist attacks dwarfs the number of deaths from frozen toilet waste from a plane. Like the order of the former is thousands per year and the latter is basically an average of 0. 
Back to Top profile | search

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 May 2017 at 1:59pm | IP Logged | 2  

you're still far more likely to be murdered by your spouse, knocked down by a bus or possibly impaled by an icicle of frozen urine falling from a passing plane than to be killed in a terrorist incident.
++++
Nice rationalization.
Tell that to the eight year girl who lost her life just because some people think that open borders is beautiful...

J W Campbell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 May 2017 at 2:23pm | IP Logged | 3  

Some Dick wrote:
Tell that to the eight year girl who lost her life just because some people think that open borders is beautiful...

This had nothing to do with open borders. Nothing.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 May 2017 at 2:34pm | IP Logged | 4  

This had nothing to do with open borders. Nothing.
+++
Why? Because the lad was born in Britain? But aren't you forgetting that the influx of radicals and support of radical views became a problem only when the critical mass of the Muslim population grew to this point? Why we did not have incidents like this caused by Islamists back in the 70´s or 80´s?
Open borders is not only a problem, is a HUGE problem.

I am not saying it is your case, but every time a child dies because of an incident with guns, I see so many people screaming for gun control, and when a child dies because of an islamic terror attack I have to read rationalization as if Islamic terrorism was just a fact of life.

Trully sad about the loss of children, this is horrlble beyond belief.

J W Campbell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 May 2017 at 2:41pm | IP Logged | 5  

Peter Martin wrote:
I'm fairly certain the number of fatalities from terrorist attacks dwarfs the number of deaths from frozen toilet waste from a plane. Like the order of the former is thousands per year and the latter is basically an average of 0.

I don't have numbers for falling frozen piss fatalities, hence the 'possibly' qualifier. The rhetorical point you missed was that a probability which is almost zero in 100 is still almost zero in 100 if you raise it by a couple of orders of magnitude. 

My inappropriate flippancy probably obscured that point, for which I apologise. 

Andrew Saxon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 May 2017 at 2:45pm | IP Logged | 6  

"You may even hate Trump..."

I didn't mention Trump. He is far from my mind right now and, besides, I'm not prepared to use the graves of the recently deceased as a soapbox for my personal politics.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

J W Campbell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 May 2017 at 2:49pm | IP Logged | 7  

Still A Dick wrote:
Why we did not have incidents like this caused by Islamists back in the 70´s or 80´s?

Because our foreign policies weren't laying waste to vast swathes of the Middle East back then. Western support for repressive regimes like the Shah of Iran gave direct rise to the rule of the Ayatollahs, a lesson we should have learned from, rather than doubling down on. Lest we forget, Saddam Hussein was the West's 'guy' until Kuwait. 

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 May 2017 at 2:57pm | IP Logged | 8  

J W and the staggering increase in Muslim population has nothing to do with it?
I have read some rumors (not confirmed) that the father of the suicide bomber is an operative of some terrorist organization and would be in Libya right now.

Like I said, reform of Islam is the only alternative. Ignore the facts and we will see attacks like this holding the entire population hostage, as it is happening now in Philippines (in which an attack just killed about 14 Christians few hours ago, if the news I just got is reliable, we never know these days).

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 May 2017 at 3:04pm | IP Logged | 9  

"You may even hate Trump..."

I didn't mention Trump. He is far from my mind right now and, besides, I'm not prepared to use the graves of the recently deceased as a soapbox for my personal politics.
+++

If you read what I wrote, I just pointed out that no one is moving in the right direction but him (alliance with strong Muslim nations and pressure for reforms).

Your insinuation is extremely offensive and is a strong contradiction of your own statement. 

But I am not offended because I was not pushing personal politics, since I am not American and I am far from being a Trump supporter.

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 May 2017 at 3:09pm | IP Logged | 10  

The whole thing is depressing beyond words. And we know it's going to happen again. And again.

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 May 2017 at 3:24pm | IP Logged | 11  

Petter, I agree with you to a certain point.

Something must be done, lines must be drawn, extremists must be held accountable, arrested and disappear into oblivion.

Reform must be pushed. I saw some news about how things are going all wrong in Sweden, Italy and many other countries in which certain areas are basically "no go zones".

I was in Belgium early this year and I was told that certain areas are controlled and you can be beaten just for being white if you dare enter these areas. Stopping this would be an step in the right direction.

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 May 2017 at 4:03pm | IP Logged | 12  

I am convinced that these people would try to fight the Nazis using the same strategy...

<< Prev Page of 10 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version