Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: subject(s) you wished you’d paid more attention to at school (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2017 at 7:02pm | IP Logged | 1  

I wish my dad would've let me take percussion in band instead of making me do saxophone. I couldn't play a single note on sax today, but I still play drums. I could've been an even more badass drummer now. 

Ahh music. I wanted to play percussion too. Second choice was French Horn. My teacher wanted me to play Trumpet. But in the end, my Mom made me play Saxophone.....which wasn't so bad really.

Later in life, after my divorce, I finally bought a drum set (or three) and had the best time playing music with friends.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Rich Marzullo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2017 at 7:07pm | IP Logged | 2  

Sociology and Anthropology. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2017 at 7:46pm | IP Logged | 3  

Remember and repeat that's pretty much how it was in school. No real encouragement to actually think. I was surrounded by teachers who didn't understand who I was and what I needed. I was a B student in school. The most common phrase utter by my teachers was "If only he would apply himself."  What they didn't understand was that I was an A student. I just wasn't interested in just repeating what they said. There were a few teachers in high school and art school that understood and encouraged me to pursue my interests. 

The subjects I wish had devoted more attention to are grammar and art.
I've always been a storyteller and I enjoy writing. I however tend to write as if I'm having a conversation with someone. Too often this leads to me not writing grammatically correct. It's something that bothers me to this day. 

With art I had such blinders on when I was younger. There was one course that I was going to take as an artist. Anything that deviated from that path was ignored. Or I didn't devote enough practice to because it didn't come easily. Such as painting and sculpting. Now that I'm older I've developed and interest in expanding upon what I can do creatively. It very frustrating not being able to do something as well as I liked to do. Having to begin learning something new at my age is a bit intimidating. 

There's some excitement in facing a new challenge but it's frustrating not being able to work at the same level of skill as I do other things.
Back to Top profile | search

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2017 at 10:07pm | IP Logged | 4  

History:  Love it today, couldn't get myself to focus too much on it back in my youth.

Spanish:  I was terrible with it right out of the gate, which dampened any enthusiasm for the remaining year.  Barely passed with a D!

Music:  Looking back, wish I could have learned piano, drums or guitar.  Or that I could have stuck with chorus!

Brad Brickley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2017 at 10:31pm | IP Logged | 5  

I paid attention to the subjects that interested me and got by or flunked the ones I didn't. 
I do wish I'd have put more effort into better grades, just to improve my college chances. One of the reasons I joined the Army was because I didn't think I had the grades for college. Things still turned out well tho.
The only two things I actually wish I'd done in school would be too be not so shy with girls and to have started some rock band or joined one. 
Back to Top profile | search | www

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2017 at 3:14am | IP Logged | 6  

Maths - I barely made it through, and I should have made more of an effort.

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2017 at 4:54am | IP Logged | 7  

Another language.

Mike Purdy
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2017 at 7:53am | IP Logged | 8  

All the classes. I was a poor student. However, when I went to college in my 40s I made the Dean's List almost effortlessly.  
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2017 at 10:03am | IP Logged | 9  

In school, I was a pretty good student... say, A- average. So I paid attention in classes and learned the subjects. And I went to a good school, so I learned how to learn as well (more subtle than you think.)

I guess I kinda wish I had learned how to integrate that information. Of course, that was far beyond the scope of an elementary or middle school, but I still would have liked to learn how to think of my information combined to make a model of reality. I had to do it on my own, as everyone did, of course - and then after high school, I got the real world to add a new coat of paint to that model.

Maybe I wish I had learned more about real life in school. There were a very few home economics classes, but those did deal with existing in the real world. Probably moreso than my chemistry course did.

Wilson Mui
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2017 at 10:17am | IP Logged | 10  

Has anyone tried Coursera? They offer free on-line
college-level courses on almost every subject. I have
used them several times.

Coursera

Robert Cosgrove
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2017 at 10:32am | IP Logged | 11  

The weekend Wall Street Journal has a good column by Peggy Noonan about a newly published book by David McCullough, a collection of essays and speeches in which he evangelizes for History.  

Robbie Moubert
Byrne Robotics Member
Evertonian

Posted: 27 May 2017 at 11:01am | IP Logged | 12  

"Maths - I barely made it through, and I should have made more of an effort."

I wish I'd tried harder in Maths as well Petter so that makes three of us...
Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version