Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Your Favorite Character Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 July 2017 at 9:48am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Wallace and Robbie - At least we made it to page 2 before....you know.....a new record to beat.....;-)
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Leach
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 July 2017 at 10:18am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Spider-Man. He's the character that really hooked me on comic books, from his personality, costume, powers, villains, supporting characters, it all just worked for me.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 24 July 2017 at 10:21am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Spider-Man. He's the character that really hooked me on comic books, from his personality, costume, powers, villains, supporting characters, it all just worked for me.

••

When did you start reading, John?

Back to Top profile | search

John Leach
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 July 2017 at 2:19pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Mid-70's or so, right in the middle of the Jackal/Gwen Stacy clone storyline. I think the Tarantula was on the cover of the first issue I read at a friends house. Not too long after that (a year or so maybe?) I found a Pocket Books collection of the first 6 Lee/Ditko issues which just cemented my love for the character.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 July 2017 at 3:56pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Spider-Man for me. I loved his personality and look. I did start reading his current adventures as a child in the 1970s', but I read more of the then-already-classic stories by Stan Lee, Steve Ditko, and John Romita in "Marvel Tales," and the Fireside Publication trade paperbacks, and the smaller paperback full-color reprints.It was those stories that made more of an impact on me, too.

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 July 2017 at 6:39pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

The Hulk.

Again, "Which one?" is a factor...

The 70's/early 80's savage Hulk. The Sal Buscema-drawn, Len Wein/Roger Stern/Bill Mantlo-written Hulk. Third-person monosyllabic, mean, green, and eatin' beans.

The Hulk was the first comic book superhero that I first saw on (and in) a comic book. I had known Superman, Batman, Spider-Man and a few others from TV. But this guy grabbed my attention from the rack (in a grocery store!).

I think the simplicity of the Hulk was a draw. He didn't say much. Not like those annoying yellow boxes on the edge of the panels. Jeez. (I would later to find those captions useful and enjoyable).

It wasn't long after I started reading the comics that HIS television show started. Which, after initial disappointment, I came to enjoy (and still do).

I suppose, again, the simplicity of the character made me like him. Something makes him mad, he smashes. Basic escapism. Green is pretty cool. His "costume" was just torn, (purple) pants. Sometimes cinched with rope for a belt. And he was super-strong. What's not to like?

Edited by Brian Rhodes on 24 July 2017 at 6:39pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Thomas Woods
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 July 2017 at 7:48pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Colossus, although he is rarely done right.

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 July 2017 at 8:23pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

The Amazing Amazon, WONDER WOMAN!!

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 July 2017 at 1:16am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Captain America.  Always.  (Though he hasn't really been around for at least five years.)

I seem to recall a similar question being asked before (perhaps as part of an ongoing thread) and there were a LOT of "Captain America" answers and now almost none.  Has the latest damage been that thorough?

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 July 2017 at 3:48am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Eric J. - I find your comment amusing as hell. Captain America always - and then not always because he hasn't been around lately.

I get EXACTLY what you mean... but oh, how I wish I didn't. Preach it, brother.

Sergio Saavedra
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 July 2017 at 2:37pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Superman.
I read once that a problem with Superman is that he's too old for teenagers to feel identified. But in my case, Superman (and JB's Clark) was the kind of person I wanted to become.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 July 2017 at 3:14pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Eric S. - Yeah, it's sad.  It's my favorite character and I can't buy his book.  I actually ordered a subscription when I heard Steve Rogers was going to be in the costume again, then I heard what the series was going to be all about--before the first issue came in the mail.  Never read it.  It's a bookmark in some hardcover anthology I rarely go back to.  (Cancelled my subscription to that before the second issue could come.  In fact, I cancelled ALL my Marvel subscriptions in protest.)

But, at the same time, I was reading a couple of trade paperback CAP collections (from "the good old days") and I had the movies, which I'm very pleased with!  The CAP movies are the BEST of the Marvel movies!

So, I'm not buying the monthly or reading any weird thing they're doing with him the last five years, but I still have some Cap I can enjoy.

I find it interesting that the more Marvel Comics drives me away, the more I'm involved with and enjoy the Marvel movies and TV series!  The characters are still in my life, just not in one way I would like.

I feel sorry for the DC Comics fans who are disappointed in those books.  It's not like the movies are really filling that gap.

Edited by Eric Jansen on 25 July 2017 at 3:16pm

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version