Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Unfinished Comic Runs Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2017 at 3:51pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

OMEGA AND HOWARD--Likewise, I could have read 100 issues each of Steve Gerber's HOWARD THE DUCK and OMEGA THE UNKNOWN (a highly underrated concept).  At least over 30 issues of his HOWARD exist, but OMEGA barely had a chance.  And Gerber never even got the chance to finish the story.

I keep buying those Gerber Howard the Duck stories. First bought the Essential collection which was black and white (Colan's stuff looks great in black and white) and then just recently bought the collection in color that has the first 17 issues. Gerber did come back to Howard the Duck and did a six issue MAX mini-series. It was actually pretty good but way different than the original series. For one thing he wasn't even a duck in most of it!
Back to Top profile | search

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2017 at 5:14pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Kesel and Grummett just got a Kickstarter funded to do more Section Zero!
New Hardcover coming at the end of the year.

Someone from the board kindly sent me a message about it via Twitter, but
since I rarely use the account, I received it too late to contribute.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2017 at 5:33pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Offhand... (note that in some cases I would have been (or would still be) content with a special to wrap up the loose ends)

Gerber's Defenders, Omega the Unknown and Void Indigo; Quantum & Woody; Jack Kirby's Fourth World; Crimson Plague; Englehart's Avengers and Doctor Strange; Ditko Shade the Changing Man; Moench Master of Kung-Fu; Peter David Hulk (yeah he was there awhile but the ending was still abrupt); first Claremont X-Men (ditto); Chuck Dixon Airboy; Sonic Disruptors; Hudnall Alpha Flight; Mike Parobeck Justice Society; Steranko SHIELD; MacGregor Black Panther (both vs. the Klan and the not even started Panther's Vows) and Killraven; Helfer/Baker Shadow; Grimjack; Mike Barr's first Outsiders series; Abadazad; Crossgen in general (esp. Route 666, Sojourn and Negation War); Secret Society of Super-Villains; Valentino Guardians of the Galaxy; Elementals; Veitch's Swamp Thing; Marshal Law; 1963; Pre-Crisis Huntress; Pre-Crisis Superboy; Pre-Crisis Supergirl; Nick Cardy Bat Lash; Stern's Avengers; JB's Captain America, Last Galactus Story, Fantastic Four, Hulk, first She-Hulk run, Avengers West Coast, Danger Unlimited and X-Men: The Hidden Years; Liberty Meadows; A Distant Soil; Fell; and Thieves & Kings.

Basically, I've had to deal with a lot of disappointment over the years. :-)

At least there's still hope with the last few and we're finally getting the third volume of Mage...

Shane Matlock wrote:
Also Rick Veitch is starting the next part of Maximortal

Really? Where'd you hear this?

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2017 at 5:46pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Really? Where'd you hear this?

He announced it on his Facebook page. IDW is also doing a new edition of Brat Pack!

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2017 at 5:51pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

THE CELESTIAL MADONNA--Steve Englehart's decade-and-company-spanning epic may have been finished at some point, but I didn't see it.  (I believe Marvel did a limited series, but they put such a not-great artist on it, it didn't make a splash and will probably never be collected.)

Eric, didn't he finish this at DC?

Edit: I was mistaken. He did continue the story at DC in Justice League with the character of Willow as the Mantis character. He also continued it at Epic in Scorpio Rose with the character now known as Lorelei. It was later reprinted at Image in a Coyote collection.

But after that the storyline was resumed in West Coast Avengers at Marvel after Englehart's return to Marvel and later in Avengers: Celestial Quest.

And apparently she was also mentioned in Engelhart's 2010 novel The Long Man.

That character has quite the history!  

Edited by Shane Matlock on 26 July 2017 at 5:58pm

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2017 at 6:37pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Yeah, but after all that build-up, the finale should have been EPIC!!!  BIG NEWS!!!  Jim Starlin or George Perez should have been swayed to draw it.  (A nice reunion either way.)  As it was, it should not have just been thrown out there with an artist I never heard of before or since.

Not that I'm a fan of "events," but if anything deserved that treatment, it would have been this.

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2017 at 6:44pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Probably too many to count, but I always wanted to see JB's Avengers West Coast to get a proper conclusion (as well as Steve Englehart's West Coast Avengers before that). JB's Fantastic Four, Steve Englehart's Silver Surfer, Ann Nocenti's Daredevil, and Roger Stern's Avengers all should have gone on at least a little bit longer.

Nocenti, Stern, and JB were all closing in on issue #300 on their respective titles, too. Maybe that number's cursed.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2017 at 5:54pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

JB's Hulk, Last Galactus Story, Avengers West Coast, FF

Stern's Avengers, and while I loved DeFalco/ Frenz on the book, Amazing Spider-Man

John Cole
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2017 at 6:42pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I Was a big fan of the original Invaders series and wished it would have continued.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2017 at 7:45am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

This thread, and returning shows like WILL & GRACE and ROSEANNE, make me wonder--Why CAN'T some of these series be finished up?

Why CAN'T Robert Loren Fleming and Trevor VonEeden reunite to give us a proper continuation/end to THRILLER?  (It's not like all the "actors" gained 30 pounds and went gray!)  Whatever the problems back then, this was likely going to be THE series that both men were going to be remembered for--come out of retirement or whatever and make it satisfying!  A whole imprint has sprung up just for that exact kind of storytelling--you'd think whoever's in charge of Vertigo would look at some things like this and try some sort of reunion.

Likewise at Marvel, if the issue was paper quality(!), Don McGregor and P. Craig Russell certainly could get back together and give us closure on their KILLRAVEN epic--EVERYTHING's printed on good paper these days!

Edited by Eric Jansen on 28 July 2017 at 7:47am

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2017 at 8:50am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Eric, it wasn't paper quality, it was "permanence." If P. Craig Russell was going to spend so much time on a project as Killraven would have called for (IIRC, it started life as a 8 chapter serial in Marvel Comics Presents, but before you knew it McGregor was on page 100 and the cast hadn't gotten to Mars yet), then he didn't want it to come and go like your standard periodical. He wanted it to be collected and in print for awhile. That said, collections are standard procedure these days, so maybe it's just a question of finding someone at Marvel to champion the project?

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2017 at 3:37pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Eric, as I've pointed out there are a few that have finished (Next Men) or are going to finish hopefully ( Maximortal, Miracleman, Tyrant) despite it being twenty plus years.

Rick Veitch would love to finish his Swamp Thing run and has made it known multiple times to his fans and to DC comics. Just not sure if the sales justify it. I, for one, would definitely buy and read it though.

In some cases I think some of the creators just aren't interested in going back and finishing their aborted runs, like JB's West Coast Avengers, Hulk, Captain America, etc. As much as we fans would love to read it. I do wonder if given the opportunity though if JB would ever consider finishing the Last Galactus Story or doing more X-Men:Hidden Years if Marvel (under new leadership) ever offered and the drawing bug once again bit him.  

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version