Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: The Dreaded Deadline Doom! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2017 at 7:39pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

As a reader and comic fan I hate missed deadlines. I prefer a fill in issue to no issue at all. 

As a artist I am more understanding. I know that sometimes it's not easy getting the work done. Artists aren't machines they can't just pump the work out. Of course if the artist repeatedly misses deadlines that's a problem. They shouldn't be working on titles that require them to maintain a schedule that is beyond their abilities to meet.
Back to Top profile | search

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2017 at 9:02pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Robbie, I don't think SUPER POWERS had any fill-in artists, unless you count Kirby's work in the last issue of Vol 1, which I think was planned.  I don't have my collection handy but the DC wikia supports my recollection. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2017 at 9:34pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS # 12 was late?

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2017 at 9:54pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I remember reading WATCHMEN #11, and by the time #12 came out, I'd had appendicitis, undergone an appendectomy, been arrested for shoplifting, graduated middle school, moved with my family from Baltimore to Seattle, and started fall football practice. Admittedly it was a busy summer. 

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2017 at 11:05pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS # 12 was late?

Brian, I'm just going off my own memory so I might be mistaken, but I do seem to remember it shipping late. How late I'm not sure, but it seems like a month or so.

Edit: The only thing I can find is that it came out in March 1986 and the previous issue came out in February so it wasn't a month late. But it may have been a week or two late. Maybe someone else can remember since this happened in pre-internet days. I couldn't find much on Watchmen being late either, but I'm absolutely sure it was.

Edited by Shane Matlock on 26 July 2017 at 11:21pm

J W Campbell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2017 at 1:16am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I'm not sure I get the negativity towards 'fill-in' issues. Uncanny X-Men #205 was a fill-in, and remains one of the finest standalone stories in mainstream US comics.

I think the problem with fill-in issues these days is that simple economics makes it impractical to hold material unpublished against the proverbial 'rainy day'. Inventory pages sitting unpublished are viewed by accountants as 'dead money', so most books are published 'just in time' to minimise the length of time between paying for it and getting the revenue. I frequently get comps of a book within a month of lettering them, in one case only a fortnight later…

(And, yes, the last three issues of Watchmen shipped increasingly late. ISTR #12 was at least two months late, since I had to take time out of exam revision to go and pick it up, when I'd originally expected the series to finish well before exam time!)
Back to Top profile | search | www

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2017 at 1:38am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Starlin's GHOST RIDER #35 must have been an inventory story and it too is one of the best standalone comics of all time.

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2017 at 2:09am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I think the professional thing to to is stick to your promised schedule.

But if life really got in the way, due to an emergency of some sort, I'd much prefer the occasional fill-in story. It creates its own kind of cliff-hanger in a way....makes you want the next book even more.

J W Campbell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2017 at 3:11am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Robert Shepherd wrote:
I think the professional thing to to is stick to your promised schedule.

This, possibly, is the thing that baffles me most. At the start of a run as regular artist, surely the conversation the editor should have is:

"Can you hit twelve issues a year, month in, month out, without fail? Really? Well, how about we call it nine issues? We'll give you a breather after every third issue…"

(Editor goes away and schedules three quality fill-ins; maybe has a conversation with the writer about how those issues can stand alone from the main run but still inform or move forward any sub-plots or over-arching storylines…)

Edited by J W Campbell on 27 July 2017 at 7:36am

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2017 at 4:45am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

It goes without saying that I'm fine with delayed books if a writer/artist is ill, incapacitated, etc. It's only when they are distracted with pet projects that I get annoyed, hence why I boycott books like that.

J W posted a hypothetical conversation. One would hope that sort of thing would go on, especially when Jim Lee was working on the videogame and supposed to be drawing ASB. 

Philippe Negrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2017 at 7:06am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I've always HATED fill ins. They seemed such a rip-off, especially when the creative team was not specified on the cover. I'd have prefered the SKIP a month with no problem at all back in my days of monthly buying.

J W Campbell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2017 at 7:36am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Philippe Negrin wrote:
I've always HATED fill ins. They seemed such a rip-off, especially when the creative team was not specified on the cover. I'd have prefered the SKIP a month with no problem at all back in my days of monthly buying.

Really?! You'd have forgone this because it wasn't done by the regular team?

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version