Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum
Topic: Comixology - the digital gateway? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2017 at 4:36pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

In music, it used to be that being on iTunes meant you made it (along with beatport). Now, not so much. Long as you have some kind of middle-engine, you can have your music placed on iTunes.

For comics and such, Comixology has been listed as 'the place to be' and is often mentioned as the high bar for selling digital comics. I have seen several people state that simply being on there is a sign you are ready.

They also seem to have a high rejection rate.

1) Is this an accurate assessment?
2) Agree of disagree with that idea?
3) Does anyone BUY their (digital) comics there or anywhere else?

4) What would be a sign of an official title- in your eyes? In other words, if you met an artist and they ONLY had their work for sale, directly on a blog and used paypal to sell the comic, would you consider that work to be in the mix among all the other titles you read or could read or does that artist need to do more before you consider them serious/official?

Put another way- sorta- Do you feel that if it's not from Marvel, DC, Image/etc...it's not official in your mind?

So is it the publisher?
The platform?
The exposure?
The amount of sales?
Quality of the book(s)?
The length of time it's been around/number of issues?

What does it for you?
Back to Top profile | search | www

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2017 at 5:13pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Good questions.

It isn't necessarily about the platform for me. Not just with comics, either. I could easily enjoy a metal song released for free on YouTube by an unsigned band. I may even prefer such a song over an album released via a major record label by a band who've been around 30+ years.

It's as official as I want it to be. It's all about quality of the book. There could be the worst comic in history being sold on comiXology right now - whilst a freelance talent, not currently signed to a company, could be releasing the best damn book ever via his/her website. 

I really do not equate being on a platform with quality. You'll get quality books on comiXology. You'll get books that are not so good. And you will get a good book, or maybe a bad book, from the guy/gal sitting at home and releasing it for free via a site.
Back to Top profile | search

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2017 at 7:18pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I would buy an independent publisher from their own website if they met these criteria.

Art, Story, Originality, Price, Publicity (Social Buzz)

Art and story are self explanatory.
Originality - It could still be a super hero book as long as I could tell they were trying to be original. Pretty tough with 100 years of super hero stories out there.
Price - I prefer an artist to make their riches based off their total print run, not their price per book. Especially true with digital only comics.
Publicity (Social Buzz) - You have to have a faithful following and grow your fans over time. I want the artist to succeed so I can enjoy their stories. To do that they need a marketing plan. Facebook and Youtube are great platforms for this....and of course convention appearances.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2017 at 7:18pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

3) Does anyone BUY their (digital) comics there or anywhere else?

================

I can only respond to this, as I do not buy Indy books (other than IDW or Dark Horse, which aren't quite "Indy"). Comixology is a clunky digital experience on the iPad. I didn't like the zoom-in / pop-out panels ... spoon-feeding the reader a comic book page is a moronic idea. I understand that feature is there to get around the size restrictions of average screens. But then the page should be drawn with those screens in mind. Otherwise everything ends up feeling like a digest sized reprint. When Comixology got bought out by Amazon, I think the Comixology authentication process got replaced by Amazon's. The confusion and fuss was too much for me to handle. I don't need a username and password to open a good ol' comic book. This is improvement, how ? 

Edited by Joe Zhang on 27 July 2017 at 7:20pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2017 at 7:24pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Does anyone know what Comixology's cut is? What percentage?
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2017 at 12:49am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I love Comixology,i tend to buy the odd new title,but
mostly sale items of classic stuff.I recently talked my
friend into buying from there,but he has an i-Pad and it
is very tricky to purchase and navigate via Apple.As an
Android user i couldn`t find it easier,just hit the app
button,browse,buy with one click! It`s extremely easy to
read a comic too.Case in point,yesterday i bought the
first Man Of Steel tp for £3.99,bargain!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2017 at 5:11am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Broken record time for me again: the lack of letters pages in any comiXology titles is a no-no for me. Sure, the modern comics feature them, but the classic ones don't.

I picked up some back issues (paper) of THE INCREDIBLE HULK a while back. It was great reading the letters pages (there was a debate about AIDS in one issue). 

I don't know why comiXology can't include letters pages. Didn't the CD-ROM releases of various titles include them years ago? But letters pages are important to me. I love them. And I love getting a feel for how folk felt back then, especially in titles published before I was born. Until the various companies such as DC and Marvel can provide comiXology with letters pages, I'm not interested. 
Back to Top profile | search

Drew Spence
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2017 at 5:50am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Does anyone know what Comixology's cut is? What percentage?

Not sure if this is what you're looking for....
It's on page 3 of their submission FAQ
What percentage of the sales will I earn?

You will receive 50% of the net sale of your title (after we pay our mobile distributors their standard fees)....

Back to Top profile | search | www

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version