Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 17 Next >>
Topic: Charlottesville Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 August 2017 at 6:44pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Well, we can move forward in the news cycle now, yet another 'Muslim POS in a van' attack in Barcelona.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 August 2017 at 6:47pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Don't you think he's dangerous, JB? If Trump were just "being a colossal meathead", many of us by now wouldn't be so upset... and worried about his words and possible actions going forward.

•••

sigh

You know, the English language CAN be our friend.

Nowhere did I say Trump is not dangerous.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 August 2017 at 10:32pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I predict Trump will, at worst, be defeated in 2020....which will render all of 'OMG, he's going to declare martial law, and never step down and AAAAAAHHHH!' comments meaningless.
Trust the process.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 August 2017 at 10:36pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I have ZERO forgiveness in my heart (and someone once called me a very forgiving person) for people who voted for Trump, but now regret it:

Sounds harsh, eh? No. Because they knew what they were voting for. He didn't even like about it. This is a man who said things for all to see. 

I want the US to be fixed because I have much affection for people, including those here; but I have zero interest in sympathizing, empathizing or caring about those who went and voted for him.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 August 2017 at 2:00am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Even at this stage I think the media is vastly underestimating the level of support for Trump. His behavior is "beyond the pale" even for the lowliest elected official, let alone the President. But that's exactly the kind of President that Trump's voters wanted. Someone to embarrass and scandalize the establishment. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Mitch Denoyer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 August 2017 at 3:05am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I'll put my money on a resignation.  I don't know that much about Trump, but his history seems to show he just dumps things that aren't serving his self interests: Trump University, his wives, the USFL.  I wouldn't be surprised to wake up one morning and find he did it in a tweet.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 August 2017 at 3:18am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Don't you think he's dangerous, JB? If Trump were just "being a colossal meathead", many of us by now wouldn't be so upset... and worried about his words and possible actions going forward.
•••

sigh

You know, the English language CAN be our friend.

Nowhere did I say Trump is not dangerous.

JB, didn't think I stated that you said Trump was not dangerous... actually, i was just asking you the question... and wondering if you'd expand on your "colossal meathead" comment. Regardless, I'm getting the feeling impeachment won't get him removed from office,

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 August 2017 at 3:40am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

It's quite telling that Trump can call a person driving a vehicle into people in Barcelona a terrorist attack, but will not call a person driving into people in Charlottesville an act of terror. 

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 August 2017 at 8:58am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I'm beginning to realize that democracy is an extremely flawed system.

It enabled brain-dead people and racists to put a bigoted, immoral lowlife in the White House. I don't know what the alternative is, but I'm beginning to think that democracy shouldn't be a thing. i know that sounds bad.

I know it'd NEVER work, but I said to a friend once, "Maybe there should be an exam and psychological testing before you vote in elections." That'd never work and even if it could work, it'd be time-consuming and elitist, but I sure wish it could work. Because, quite frankly, some people don't deserve a vote.

Years ago, someone I spoke to said that flame-throwers should be used on illegal immigrants and any form of protester. That's not the sort of person I think should be given the privilege of voting. Voting should be a privilege, not a right - but I know you couldn't possibly vet every voter.

As for the asshole at the heart of this topic, I wish he'd step down because at least then his supporters would see that it's his choice; if he's booted out of office, I'd worry that his supporters would use it as an excuse for violence.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 August 2017 at 10:06am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Robbie, it's like when people say 'Anarchy should be the way forward'.

Yes, but you assume that everyone has your moral standpoint. True anarchy would allow anyone to do anything, and I think we know where that would really lead don't we?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 August 2017 at 10:09am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Charles: "I'm getting the feeling impeachment won't get him removed from office," Impeachment will NOT get Trump removed from office. But it's an awfully good and important preliminary step!

Robbie P. 1: "I have ZERO forgiveness in my heart... for people who voted for Trump, but now regret it:" I am entirely in accord and I have not had any sympathy for these deplorables. And for quite a long time, I have been responding to many of these commenters who complain with a simple, "Shut up. You won." Also, one of my favorite quotes from "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade:" "You stood up to be counted with the enemies of everythingthe Grail stands for! Who gives a DAMN what you believe?"

Robbie P. 2: "I'm beginning to realize that democracy is an extremely flawed system." Too true, but it still seems to be the best humanity has come up with so far. I think it was Churchill who said that democracy is the worst form of government, save for all the others.

We're slowly working our way towards something better. And I'm not a political scientist, so my terms may not be entirely correct, but the U.S. is only a partial democracy; our presidential elections are more of a democratic republic, where the people select their representatives to do the voting.

Of course, the US is truly a plutocratic oligarchy, but I don't know if anyone admits that. Pisses some of us a hell of a lot, though.

It was Robert A. Heinlein who suggested that when you go into a voting booth, you might be charged a small amount, or you might have to solve a quadratic equation, or answer a simple history question, or some other qualifier to vote. While this is not fair, there is something to be said for the idea. However, it would restrict so many voters who are good citizens but who didn't get an adequate education that it's not workable in that form. But in the United States, being born, being over eighteen years of age, and having a body temperature of 37 is all that one needs to be qualified to vote. That doesn't sound entirely suitable either.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 August 2017 at 10:16am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

but the U.S. is only a partial democracy; our presidential elections are more of a democratic republic, where the people select their representatives to do the voting.

Although I understand the distinction between a democracy and republic (my primary school teacher articulated it well when I was about 7), I think that there is the problem: we've given our power away. Same here in the UK, where 650 elected officials can dictate to 60 million people. It's not right. The UK is not a republic, but, like the US, we get people creating unpopular policies.

I don't want to sound elitist. My idea of some sort of exam would be unfair, elitist, time-consuming and expensive - but I sure wish we could have something similar. A woman once said to me, "All these black people are taking over." A racist comment. Said during an election. And yet her vote was equal to a non-racist like me. It really drives me mad. 

Edited by Robbie Parry on 18 August 2017 at 10:18am

<< Prev Page of 17 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version