Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 17
Topic: Charlottesville Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2017 at 4:00am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Matt, I would have no problem at all calling somebody whatever pronoun, because, frankly, I don't care.  But I have a big problem with making it a "criminal" act not to.

Edited by John M. Jackson on 26 August 2017 at 4:01am
Back to Top profile | search

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2017 at 7:27am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Pretty sure the folks asking you to use their preferred pronouns aren't the ones making simple impersonal behaviors "criminal," hambone.

Take it up with all the right wing anti-gay laws and tendency to call people "illegals."
Back to Top profile | search | www

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2017 at 8:49am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

It tales a complete asshole to bully and harass people in nursing homes over their gender identity, and yes, it should be illegal. The religious have a despicable history of abusing power at medical facilities -- the right of doctors and extended families to eject same-sex spouses from the hospital rooms of terminal patients is just one of the many heroic liberties conservatives are fighting for across this country. And apparently the right to bully and harass senior citizens in their care. God what a bunch of cunts.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 August 2017 at 9:30am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

So asking that someone be called what gender they feel they really are is akin to "forcing it down someone else's throat"? Seriously? Does it really make that much of a difference to you what someone else feels comfortable being called? If I asked that you called me "Matthew" would you say "Don't care. I'm gonna call you Matty"? If I insisted, would you say that I'm "forcing it down your throat"?

•••

It would be if there was a LAW in place that punished anybody who didn't call you "Matthew."

This is the slippery slope. That there are rational, reasonable transgender people who simply want to live in peace and dignity -- well, that's not a problem. More power to them. But that power stops when it turns into enforced political correctness.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2017 at 10:01am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Enforcing treatment standards in a health care setting isn't the slippery slope. It's against the law for healthcare professionals to publicly discuss their patients' mental health, and somehow no slippery slope has led to laws prohibiting random assholes on the street from discussing those same peoples' mental health. National Review is being intentionally dishonest and alarmist.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 August 2017 at 10:31am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

National Review is being intentionally dishonest and alarmist.

••

Is that even possible under the Rump presidency?

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 17
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version