Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 8
Topic: Charlottesville Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2017 at 12:59am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Guys, he's not quitting. He'll use his far-right God and gun loving psychos to war his way into a dictatorship before that'll ever happen. 
Back to Top profile | search

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2017 at 3:38pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Robbie, I prefer to think of myself as an indecent American. Trouble is, NOBODY is looking in the cloud for those pictures! ;)

I agree with you, and I think that a large quantity of voters see what's happened with their vote for Trump, and will realize the mistake they've made. There ARE a lot of good people in our country (well, everywhere, really) who want to do right. They just get a little muddled in their thinking occasionally.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2017 at 4:52pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Guys, he's not quitting.

No, but I bet someone else is President (Pence, Ryan) by 2020. A thin-skinned, corrupt fool cannot last forever in such a role. 

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2017 at 6:58pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

This scares me:

But at the same time, it doesn't scare me!

I know Byrne Robotics is not representative of the entire US population. But there are many members here, quite a few who are decent Americans. And I have American friends on Facebook, people I've chatted to via their websites, etc.

I have faith in the majority. I know the minority who are violent or bigoted have the loudest voices, but I have enough faith in the average, decent American to trust that you would overcome the violence predicted in that video.

I have faith in the majority of your police - and I have faith in the majority of Americans. I'm not saying violence wouldn't happen, but the average, decent American, and they are represented here, well I believe your integrity is bigger and more powerful than violence perpetrated by others.

Edited by Robbie Parry on 24 August 2017 at 7:00pm

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2017 at 7:24pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I'm not so sure, Brian. Trump has always quit before running the risk of being seen as a loser. He doesn't have the guts to take that chance--his entire ego depends on being thought of as a winner. If things turn around on him, he might go the vicious cornered rat route... but history suggests he'll just walk away.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2017 at 7:34pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Let's hope Mueller’s investigation saves us!!

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2017 at 12:24am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Robbie, Roger Stone (and, for that matter, TMZ) are also not representative of the entire US population. TMZ is for people who think Trump's tweets are too intellectual.

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2017 at 8:08am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Brian O'Neill wrote:
Roger Stone (and, for that matter, TMZ) are also not representative of the entire US population.

True.  But they are pretty representative of the percentage of the population that are still HARDCORE Trump lovers.  And there's a depressingly large overlap between that group and the well-armed and motivated Ruby Ridge types (witness the recent issues with the Bundy clan and their supporters in Nevada and Oregon).  I don't think it's outrageous or alarmist to think that there's a not vanishingly small possibility that this won't be over until there's some genuine, organized combat in the west and south.  Nothing on the order of the Civil War, but bad enough.  Trump could probably stop it, but the scary thing is that I suspect he wants it to happen as some sort of testament to him (what egomaniac wouldn't want a war named after him?). 

James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2017 at 6:08pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

And the hits just keep comin'......

John M. Jackson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2017 at 7:06pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

The left's identity politics and support of violent groups like Antifa, BAMN, and BLM was a major contributor to Trump's election.

If they think doubling down on it and protesting things like freedom of speech and excusing cop killing is going to play well in Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania, I can almost guarantee Trump will be re-elected.

And, no, Trump isn't going to be impeached because the voters will remove any Republican that votes for it.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 25 August 2017 at 7:10pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

If I gave Rump actual credit for more intelligence than he clearly has, I would guess he was deliberately orchestrating this cascade of madness so that he would be kicked out of office and claim he went down fighting.

John M. Jackson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2017 at 7:18pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I am sort of enjoying the madness.  I love seeing the establishments of both the left and right in a tizzy.

Here is another example of why Trump will get re-elected. My Trump-hating mother thought I was making this proposed law up.

Edited by John M. Jackson on 25 August 2017 at 7:20pm

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2017 at 10:14pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

It criminalizes bullying and abuse by health care workers on transgender elders. "Willfully and repeatedly" ignoring a patient's preferred usage is
not dissent, it's bullying.

John M. Jackson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2017 at 10:46pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

I believe you have the right to live whatever fantasy you want but I don't believe you have the right to force it down someone else's throat and that is what this law does.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2017 at 12:04am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

A health care professional can hold any opinion he or she wishes to, but they should be expected to be professional and not bully their patients. 

What I find ridiculous is that the Right will happily jump on the idea of brain differences between men and women in order to justify stereotypical gender roles or pay gaps, but the idea that there could be a mismatch between a gendered brain and one's genitals due to exposure to androgens in the fetal environment is somehow considered a "fantasy". You can't have it both ways.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 26 August 2017 at 12:18am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Michael Roberts wrote:
What I find ridiculous is that the Right will happily jump on the idea of brain differences between men and women in order to justify stereotypical gender roles or pay gaps, but the idea that there could be a mismatch between a gendered brain and one's genitals due to exposure to androgens in the fetal environment is somehow considered a "fantasy". You can't have it both ways.

Couldn't have said it better.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 26 August 2017 at 12:41am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

John M. Jackson wrote:
I believe you have the right to live whatever fantasy you want but I don't believe you have the right to force it down someone else's throat and that is what this law does.

So asking that someone be called what gender they feel they really are is akin to "forcing it down someone else's throat"?  Seriously?  Does it really make that much of a difference to you what someone else feels comfortable being called?  If I asked that you called me "Matthew" would you say "Don't care. I'm gonna call you Matty"? If I insisted, would you say that I'm "forcing it down your throat"? That, instead, I should just accept it?   

And really, why should what you want to call me have equal consideration or, worse, supersede my own wishes?  Why should it have any consideration at all?  THAT'S forcing your perception of me ON me.  But that's what you're arguing, right?  That you can call me whatever you want because otherwise I'm "forcing" you to do the humane thing in accepting that I know more about myself than you do.

John M. Jackson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2017 at 4:00am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Matt, I would have no problem at all calling somebody whatever pronoun, because, frankly, I don't care.  But I have a big problem with making it a "criminal" act not to.

Edited by John M. Jackson on 26 August 2017 at 4:01am

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2017 at 7:27am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Pretty sure the folks asking you to use their preferred pronouns aren't the ones making simple impersonal behaviors "criminal," hambone.

Take it up with all the right wing anti-gay laws and tendency to call people "illegals."

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2017 at 8:49am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

It tales a complete asshole to bully and harass people in nursing homes over their gender identity, and yes, it should be illegal. The religious have a despicable history of abusing power at medical facilities -- the right of doctors and extended families to eject same-sex spouses from the hospital rooms of terminal patients is just one of the many heroic liberties conservatives are fighting for across this country. And apparently the right to bully and harass senior citizens in their care. God what a bunch of cunts.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 26 August 2017 at 9:30am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

So asking that someone be called what gender they feel they really are is akin to "forcing it down someone else's throat"? Seriously? Does it really make that much of a difference to you what someone else feels comfortable being called? If I asked that you called me "Matthew" would you say "Don't care. I'm gonna call you Matty"? If I insisted, would you say that I'm "forcing it down your throat"?

•••

It would be if there was a LAW in place that punished anybody who didn't call you "Matthew."

This is the slippery slope. That there are rational, reasonable transgender people who simply want to live in peace and dignity -- well, that's not a problem. More power to them. But that power stops when it turns into enforced political correctness.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2017 at 10:01am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Enforcing treatment standards in a health care setting isn't the slippery slope. It's against the law for healthcare professionals to publicly discuss their patients' mental health, and somehow no slippery slope has led to laws prohibiting random assholes on the street from discussing those same peoples' mental health. National Review is being intentionally dishonest and alarmist.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 26 August 2017 at 10:31am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

National Review is being intentionally dishonest and alarmist.

••

Is that even possible under the Rump presidency?

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 8
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version