Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: Byrne’s most memorable covers list SYFY Wire Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 August 2017 at 3:31am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Didn't know if this ever got posted in connection with the recent birthday. I was part of that thread and didn't see it linked. Unless this is kinda old...then....lol

This site has a list of the best covers and since I just saw it tonight on my FB timeline, it's kinda relevant...so.....

http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/happy-birthday-john-byrne-13-of -his-most-memorable-covers

Never heard of SYFY Wire before.
Oh wait, there's is a date and this is RECENT.

http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/happy-birthday-john-byrne-13-of -his-most-memorable-covers

Edited by Drew Spence on 13 August 2017 at 6:17am
Back to Top profile | search | www

Trevor Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 August 2017 at 5:21am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Impressive that they used "most memorable" rather than
"best" in the title of the article.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Drew Spence
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 August 2017 at 6:16am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Whoops. I corrected that. Linked from a similar Lee thread and got the title wrong. Sorry about that. Corrected now.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 August 2017 at 8:49am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Those are good choices.
Back to Top profile | search

Warren Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 August 2017 at 2:26pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Here are some others that are memorable at least for me:

Action Comics 591 (Superman vs. Superboy with Legion members watching from below)
Fantastic Four 260 (Doc Doom's mask is found charred in a pile of debris by three of the FF.) and 264 (The Mole Man's monster is back.)
Legends 6 (The post-Crisis Justice League.)
Man of Steel 1 (The one with the rocket launched from Krypton.)
Spectacular Spider-Man 101 (Spidey's black suit against a night city scene.)
Superman 2 (Superman's Secret Revealed!), 9 (The Joker in Superman's suit.) and 22 (Superman executes the Kryptonian supervillains. Controversial but memorable.)

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 August 2017 at 5:04pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Some of the author's statements seem odd, but there are good cover
selections there.

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 August 2017 at 6:52pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Some of the author's statements seem odd, but there are good cover  selections there.

Totally agree. The writer, at least in the first few paragraphs, forgot the focus of his own article - the art.

Edited by Robert Shepherd on 13 August 2017 at 6:52pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 13 August 2017 at 6:54pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

So, I'm guessing that reading this would make that vein in my temple throb....

Drew Spence
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 August 2017 at 9:55pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Yeah skip past the intro...maybe....
Just look at the awesome covers.
It seems that you've ruffled some feathers and have a few personal vendettas still left over......

See, it's weird to do a summary of you as an artist- mentioning your controversial side on an article written to celebrate your most recent birthday. Why not just say, "hey, happy birthday guy and hey, here's some covers you guys aughta note"

I get Byrne articles all the time on my Facebook. I must have liked a bunch of fan-created pages so now ANYTHING with his/your name pops up in my feed.

Don't read anymore if your blood pressure is apt to rise over internet foolishness.

Spoiler Alert
One list I got was "The Ten Worst Superhero Teams"

So of course, the list started off good and logical as they mentioned all the slapped together teams and weird combinations that never worked and also flashes in the pan. Series that were cancelled after a few books and such.

And then they list Alpha Flight as the worst.
And then the disclaimer about how hot they were and basically blazed a massive trail and then cooled off after 10 years. 10 friggin years and following massive hype and interest? That's the team you put in as number one - AFTER you just listed 9 other legitimately weak combinations??

All credibility lost and it's obvious it's another personal issue being buried in a supposed op-ed.

But at least they conceded you have a massive body at work with a high quality level throughout. No mention of your current Star Trek work, which is a strange omission for a 2017 happy birthday update message.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 August 2017 at 3:37am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

For sites with articles like these, I find that the quality varies widely and wildly. Sometimes they do okay, sometimes they STINK (e.g."Most interesting versions of the Joker" - and they pick an Elseworlds where Lex Luthor once became the Joker, which, to be fair, wasn't great.)

In the end, I find far too many of these examples of "Hey, I get to write something, so here's what I think - and it must be right, 'cause I got it on the INTERNETS!" Too many of them lack a historical basis or knowledge of the character, and too many of them are the blind leading the blind.

Why do I read ANY of them? Occasionally one or two make a good point, and maybe I enjoy frustrating myself, just a little.

This one had some splendid selections... but I suspect that Mr. Byrne would have chosen half of them differently. I know I would have. It's one man's opinion, so what's to complain? But I take such with a grain of salt in that some 28 year old is telling ME about comics.

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 August 2017 at 3:10pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

So, I'm guessing that reading this would make that vein in my temple throb....

Nothing you haven't heard before.

I was insulted, as a fan, to read the stuff. My beef was the writer doesn't need to mix in 3rd party opinion, rhetoric , or conjecture in an article that is supposed to honor your birthday and art. Even if you were the worse person ever (in the writer's opinion), this article should still have been about the art only. 

My wife used to tell me "get over yourself". And that's a phrase that really stuck. I think this writer could "get over himself" - it's not about him.

He does say a lot of praise too, and I have no doubt he is a fan. Perhaps he is trying to come across as unbiased with the criticisms, but in the end it just feels like another sneak to bitch and moan about something he has no business about.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Warren Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 August 2017 at 7:12pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I agree completely with Eric. So often I've been suckered into reading lists of the "best" this or that only to find what looks like the first 10 things that came to the writer's mind within 10 minutes after coming up with the topic.
Fortunately, I didn't read the article and just skipped over to the covers. One good thing about the story is that it got me thinking about other memorable Byrne covers.

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version