Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Question for JB: Imposed characters Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 August 2017 at 5:34pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Gah, can't post questions OR format replies correctly!
Back to Top profile | search

Mark McKay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 August 2017 at 6:39pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

JB,

Of all the "events" foisted upon you, which was the most annoying, or difficult to work with?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 August 2017 at 6:58pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

"One Year Later" at DC. Scuttled all my stories and subplots on DOOM PATROL and BLOOD OF THE DEMON.

Noah Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 August 2017 at 10:16pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I feel like I remember you, JB, saying that you weren't sure about having USAgent in Avengers West Coast but wound up enjoying him. Or am I mistaken?

There are probably more examples of you being polite about sharing a sandbox even when you had to use characters other than your preferred 
"toys." At the time I think I recall you saying you liked using Manitou Raven and Faith in your JLA arc despite having no prior fondness or connection to them. Again, I could be misremembering.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 August 2017 at 10:34pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I feel like I remember you, JB, saying that you weren't sure about having USAgent in Avengers West Coast but wound up enjoying him. Or am I mistaken?

•••

Yes.

Christopher Frost
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 August 2017 at 1:59am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

The obvious follow up question would be were there any characters imposed on you during any of your runs that you didn't like and that never grew on you?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 August 2017 at 2:05am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Dazzler stands as the biggie. Chris and I were forced to shoehorn her into Kitty's intro, turning a two part story into three.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 August 2017 at 9:38am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

While you would know best, Mr. Byrne, I seem to recall that the Beyonder in your Fantastic Four stories was not a welcome insertion. Then again... "Secret Wars II" seemed so ham handed and awkward that it was a perfect of Marvel's annual crossover series - which ALL seemed kinda undesirable intrusions on perfectly good stories.

I can't help but remember when a special event was special due to its scarcity or rarity. When the damned things show up everywhere, and frequently, they just become another expected occurrence - and then, they have to stand on their OWN merit. That doesn't seem to happen all that often.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 August 2017 at 12:14pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I don't even count the Beyonder. The character was a complete mess, but, except for the "Hero" story in FF, I was able to keep his appearances mostly "off to one side."

Besides, I think this thread is more about my personal vexations, not about something that was dumped on everybody!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 August 2017 at 12:27pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

For what it's worth, I enjoyed the dialogue you gave Beyonder in FF #288. On a wider issue, I've always enjoyed the words you've given countless cosmic entities - feels exactly like cosmic entities would speak. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 August 2017 at 1:05pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

As many of you already know, the lady doctor who appeared in the early pages of "Hero", and then mysteriously disappeared, was meant to play the role that was given to the Beyonder. She was the one who would take the Torch to Tommy's apartment and show him how much he meant to the boy.

Feeling the story was "important," I had gone to Shooter and begged to be allowed to skip the Beyonder appearance that issue. (Appearances were assigned arbitrarily, literally by the numbers, without any consideration of the stories that might already be planned for thos issues.) I promised extra attention would be paid to the Beyonder in subsequent issues, if I could just be allowed to keep this particular story as planned. Shooter agreed, and I went off to start the issue. Got several pages drawn before Shooter poked his head into the editor's office and insisted the Beyonder appear in that issue.

So the doctor simply disappeared.

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 August 2017 at 8:20pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Never liked the Beyonder's appearance in JB's last AF. For me, it marred ever ever so slightly what was a perfect run. I think it was save for the vaguest of FF crossovers early in the run, the series was pretty much self-contained - and then SWII and the Hulk come along ...

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version