Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Wars
Byrne Robotics > Star Wars
Topic: Your Toy Battles Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 September 2017 at 4:46pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

As a kid, the coolest thing about STAR WARS toys was being able to have battles that the film couldn't feature. Or being able to "reimagine" the films (not that young Robbie would have known of or understood a word such "reimagine").

What type of games did you play?

For me, a lot of battles took place between Darth Vader and Jabba. Vader was forever captured and placed in the slab that Jabba used to lie on. An Emperor's Royal Guard or Scout Trooper would often rescue him!

And forget Luke Skywalker VS Vader. My "ROTJ finale" featured Han Solo and Chewbacca taking on Darth Vader and the Emperor. Naturally, Solo and Chewbacca won.

I even had C-3PO and R2-D2 defeat Vader once.

Over to you.

EDIT: If only mobile phone cameras had been around then. I could have taken a pic or two of such battles and shared them here! But then, even if they had been around, toys were about play, not taking pics and sharing with the Instagram generation. ;-)

Edited by Robbie Parry on 04 September 2017 at 4:48pm
Back to Top profile | search

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 September 2017 at 5:30pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

This reminds me of the time my cousin Ben got a stop motion camera.
It was the early eighties, he and I got 3 or 4 Stormtroopers together along whit Han and Luke.
We proceeded to orchestrate a skirmish between them. Some 4 hours or so later we had a very jumpy 30 seconds of film. Exhausting!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 September 2017 at 10:45am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I hope today's kids are having fun.

That's what toys are about, eh? Han Solo and Chewbacca could never have been on the Death Star in the ROTJ finale - but in my "toy world", they could be.

(I even had the Ewoks get on the Death Star at one point!).

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 05 September 2017 at 10:58am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I was too old for "battles" when the toys came along, but I did do a "stop-motion" movie of 3" C-3PO walking along the top of a bookcase in my living room. I used the camera that came with my brand new Betamax!

That same toy is now in the left hand of the life-sized Threepio in my TV room!!

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 September 2017 at 11:16am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

The horrors I brought forth on Luke, Han and their cohorts at the hand of the Empire were unimaginable. Only He-Man would suffer more hideous defeats while his plastic fate rested in my hands.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 September 2017 at 2:23pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

That same toy is now in the left hand of the life-sized Threepio in my TV room!!

Not a sentence one hears every day - or is likely to ever again! 

Allan Summerall
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2017 at 10:15am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Mine were pretty simple. A dozen or so Rebel soldiers vs. stormtroopers. Each group placed opposite each other on the ends of the coffee table. My brother & I had a handful of rubber bands each and whoever shot all of their opponents figures first, wins. We spent hours doing that.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Warren Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2017 at 6:44pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I remember playing that the Empire was rebuilding the Death Star and Luke, Han and company were imprisoned there but rescued by a stormtrooper who decided to switch sides. Sound familiar?
But a lot of kids probably played that the Death Star was being rebuilt. How many times could you use the Death Star playset to re-enact the first "Star Wars" film? (I think I occasionally played that it was the interior of a star destroyer.)

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2017 at 7:02pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

As I reflect upon this topic, I am remind that, oddly, there wasn't any "cross-pollination" (none that I can recall) between STAR WARS toys and others.

There was "cross-pollination" between DC and Marvel heroes. I had a Six Million Dollar Man toy that got to face G.I. Joe. But I was so absorbed in STAR WARS toys, I just kept them to their own universe. 

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2017 at 1:57pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I bought six figures with my birthday money several years before I even saw any of the films: Luke, Ben, Chewbacca, Darth Vader, a Storm Trooper and a "Sandman", as I think it was labelled then. I knew the first tree were the heroes and the others were villains but had no sense that the Storm Trooper and the Sandman weren't individuals like the others.

Curiously, I can recall that my Chewbacca spoke with sage-like wisdom, a la Ben, warning the villains to leave Luke be and take him on with any grievances they may have.

Warren Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2017 at 6:08pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

A bit off-topic, but before I saw "Star Wars," I had trading cards (sold in loaves of bread)that featured a photo of each character and ship on the front and brief description on the back. Han Solo was described as the captain of the Millennium Falcon. Having watched "Star Trek" before seeing "Star Wars," I was a little disappointed that Han didn't have his own crew aboard the Falcon. But I enjoyed the movie nonetheless.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2017 at 7:12pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I can't recall any particular battles...

...but I vividly recall that Hammerhead wielded a lightsaber more than once.  Loved that guy!

Joe Boster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2017 at 6:09pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

My battles against the Empire continue to this day thanks to Fantasy Flight Games. Luke and Biggs taking on 5 TIE fighters in an asteroid field. Or Star destroyers pummeling NebulonB Frigates as they command Bwings to Strafe the imperials overwhelming their point defense.

Back in the day Vipers and X-wings fought side by side. By the time of Jedi BSG had been swapped for GI Joe. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version