Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 September 2017 at 8:29pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Wow... Sounds pretty bad:

LINK.

Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 September 2017 at 8:46pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

"Not surprisingly, there’s a push by Marvel big wigs to get back to meat and potatoes as it were, but they risk putting themselves on a slippery slope by casting aside diversity characters."

Right. Because we can't have both.

Idiots.

Back to Top profile | search

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 September 2017 at 9:00pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

That's pretty much what I was thinking, too, JB.

Karl Wiebe
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 September 2017 at 9:41pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I just watched Zootopia the other night.  What a fantastic movie.  It was completely new.  And well written.  Disney did not rehash Mickey Mouse or Donald Duck.  They have a string of successful, completely 'All-New' movies.  So I don't think the diversity issue is an automatic turn off (because Disney MOVIES are very diverse and new).  The complete confusion of having every Marvel book tie in with every other Marvel book is such a massive turn off.  I watched Zootopia without seeing any other Disney movies.  (I didn't even know that the weasel is a nod to the dude from Ice Age, because I haven't seen Ice Age--and it didn't matter).  Zootopia (or Toy Story, or Ice Age) is completely enjoyable ON ITS OWN.

Marvel needs to do powerful, self-contained stories.  If I buy Avengers, I don't want to buy 3 other books.  And have their books available at Wal-Mart or some place convenient.  

Paul Kimball
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 September 2017 at 10:08pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Sounds like a stressful place to work. Sad to hear.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 September 2017 at 10:11pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

One the one hand they`re saying the new `diverse`
characters don`t sell,then they say they don`t want to
piss off the new `diverse` characters audience!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2017 at 12:07am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Marvel's so worried about "diversity" that it periodically kills off some of its few black heroes (Bill Foster, James Rhodes). 

Why not simply make more use of characters that were "diverse" before that term became a buzzword: Sunfire, Northstar, Shang-Chi, Misty Knight and Colleen Wing, Firebird, Cloak and Dagger, White Tiger (any of them)...

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 September 2017 at 7:16am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Marvel's so worried about "diversity" that it periodically kills off some of its few black heroes (Bill Foster, James Rhodes).

••

"Diversty" at Marvel (comics and movies) is best represented to me by the first THOR movie. Heimdahl and Hogun get race-swapped while two new characters are introduced -- both of whom are White.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2017 at 8:46am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Not saying I disagree with the link, but is there any proof the guy is an intern?

I am wary at times. Some so-called cop on social media, well I'm not sure he is a real cop (others have said the same). Some of the views in that article are akin to mine, but anyone can say they are an intern. Cynic, I know. 

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2017 at 9:39am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Robbie, there is a possibility that the guy isn't an intern, I suppose,  but the mess at Marvel is something others have been speculating or reporting on for some time now. If he is legit,  this insider is only confirming what has been going around about Marvel's management.

Edited by Matt Hawes on 07 September 2017 at 9:40am

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2017 at 9:46am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Oh, that is true. It's why I was suspicious. None of those were major revelations, they echo what a lot of people have been saying!

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2017 at 2:19pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

"Diversty" at Marvel (comics and movies) is best represented to me by the first THOR movie. Heimdahl and Hogun get race-swapped while two new characters are introduced -- both of whom are White.

I've been thinking the same about a lot of these "race swaps'!  It was especially obvious with the FLASH TV show.  Iris West, Joe West, and (eventually) Wally West were all now black--for diversity's sake.  At the same time, new characters Harrison Wells, Caitlin Snow, and Eddie Thawne were brought in--and they were all white!  Every time I see Caitlin (Danielle Panabaker), I think she would have made a good Iris.

And same thing over on SUPERGIRL.  "James" Olsen was now black (not just black, but tall, hunky, bald, self-assured)--and new character Winn Schott was created...a new white guy of average build and funny (and sometimes mistake-prone) personality.

So, is the plan to race swap--and then create a new character that's just like the original race-swapped character?

And was there a DC memo saying to replace all the redheads with black people?  Last I heard, actual redheads (of Celtic descent) were one of the world's smallest minorities to begin with!

Page of 10 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version