Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: The Hypersexualization of Women in Comics Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 September 2017 at 9:07am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

When Marvel started reinventing itself in the early Sixties there were not a lot of readers left who remembered the Golden Age. (Remember, Roy Thomas' fascination with those characters was born from reading old comics, not because he was there reading during the Forties.)

So, for most fans, a character like the Human Torch was brand new, not some kind of echo of a previous character. Certainly not a "legacy" character, to borrow DC's most recent way of applying Spackle to all the cracks in their edifice. Man-made cracks that really shouldn't have been there in the first place.

Back to Top profile | search

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2017 at 9:41am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I always thought JB's take on women was sexy without being overly-sexualized. For teenage me there was not a sexier woman in comics than Aurora, who as noted looked even sexier with short hair (unlike that Carol Danvers image in this thread, yeesh). 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 September 2017 at 10:05am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I always thought JB's take on women was sexy without being overly-sexualized. For teenage me there was not a sexier woman in comics than Aurora, who as noted looked even sexier with short hair (unlike that Carol Danvers image in this thread, yeesh).

••

Aurora was my most overtly sexy character. She and Jeanne-Marie represented opposite ends of the spectrum. And the question, of course, was which personality was the "real" one!

Mario Ribeiro
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2017 at 10:13am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Yeah, Aurora was special to me too. Have almost no memory of her after JB left, though.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2017 at 10:23am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Me either, Mario. No offense to the very talented Bill Mantlo and Mike Mignola (both of whom have done some great comics over the years) but I didn't feel like any take on Alpha Flight after JB's was any good and I really tried to stick with it. Mantlo's take on Puck was particularly galling and then was all the stuff later on with bringing back Guardian. Ugh.

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2017 at 11:25am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

And can we note that there's a difference between reviving totally defunct names and giving us six different Captain Marvels in 20 years (and none of them as good as the 40's or the 60's/70's versions).
"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" """"""""""""""""""""""""""
Marvel should have stopped with Monica. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 September 2017 at 12:13pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Roger's version of Captain Marvel was his twist on an old joke: "Last night I had a dream in which I saw God. She's Black."

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2017 at 12:13am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Marvel should have stopped with Monica. 

Probably should have stopped with the original.  Stan didn't want to do it, and he was probably right.  But, somehow, Mar-Vell earned his place (Thanks, Jim Starlin!), so I'm okay with him.  And it was a fun thing (that made sense!) that his name was actually "Captain Mar-Vell"!

I'll be very curious to see what the movie Carol Danvers' reasoning behind taking that name will be.

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2017 at 8:22am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Mar-Vell always had the best backstory to me - Kree warrior sent to Earth to spy on humanity for the Kree, but Mar-Vell eventually sympathized and sided with humanity.

Fairly simple at the time, but, like most every other Marvel hero, made much more complex and overly-complicated by retcons over the years.

I can understand how Marvel wanted to hang onto the name, but the only other Captain Marvel that has worked for me at all is Monica Rambeau.

Back to Top profile | search | www

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2017 at 9:41am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I liked the Sixties Captain Marvel's origin, too. It would have been interesting had Marvel been able to sustain that setup for longer than a year, but Mar-Vell was inevitably going to betray the Kree, and the situation seems unsustainable in an "illusion of change" setting.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 September 2017 at 9:47am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Mar-Vell always had the best backstory to me - Kree warrior sent to Earth to spy on humanity for the Kree, but Mar-Vell eventually sympathized and sided with humanity.

••

Lot of the Silver Surfer there!

Paul Kimball
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2017 at 9:50am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Kind of an unusual costume, I can't think of too many that covered the face but
left the hair free.

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version